HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » New York City Decides to ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 02:15 PM

New York City Decides to Extend Gas Rationing

Source: NYT

Gasoline rationing lasted eight days on Long Island, where it was lifted at midnight on Friday by Nassau and Suffolk County officials.

It lasted slightly longer in New Jersey, the state that put the words “gas rationing” back into everyday use after decades and was the first to jettison it after 10 days.

But in New York City, rationing that was scheduled to end on Monday has been extended through Friday, even as the gas station lines that prompted it have all but disappeared.

In announcing the decision, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg noted the major travel week ahead at a time when 30 percent of gas stations remained closed.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/19/nyregion/new-york-to-extend-gas-rationing-through-friday.html

2 replies, 1129 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply New York City Decides to Extend Gas Rationing (Original post)
alp227 Nov 2012 OP
ProgressiveProfessor Nov 2012 #1
Squinch Nov 2012 #2

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 02:57 PM

1. Its a Bloomberg thing. Those of us who are not 1%ers would not understand.

For some unfathomable reason he finds support on this site.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:10 PM

2. I don't like him, and I do actively work against him on his education agenda, but

this doesn't strike me as a bad idea. If we're 30% down in stations, it'll keep lines from forming around Thanksgiving travel.

He's a conundrum to me. He is dangerous to NYC school children, and as I said, I am active in working against his education agenda. He makes some ridiculous mistakes, but there are times when I do support him wholeheartedly. For example, his position on the so-called "ground zero mosque."

This gas rationing for me is not a big deal, and may avert some unpleasantness. I'm fine with it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread