HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » White House says Obama ag...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 07:33 PM

White House says Obama again talks with Netanyahu on Gaza attacks, calls for de-escalation

Source: Associated Press

President Barack Obama has again spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu about escalating violence in the Gaza Strip.

The White House says Netanyahu called Obama on Friday to provide an update on the situation in Israel and Gaza. Netanyahu expressed appreciation to Obama and the American people for U.S. investment in the Iron Dome rocket and mortar defense system, which has been used to defend Israel against rocket attacks from Gaza. The two leaders also spoke Wednesday.

The White House says Obama reiterated U.S. support for Israelís right to self-defense and expressed regret over the loss of Israeli and Palestinian civilian lives.

Militant groups have staged rocket attacks against Israel, which has killed the military chief of the ruling Hamas militant group and conducted dozens of airstrikes into Gaza.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-says-obama-again-talks-with-netanyahu-on-gaza-attacks-calls-for-de-escalation/2012/11/16/32eb2b26-304a-11e2-af17-67abba0676e2_print.html

4 replies, 1367 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply White House says Obama again talks with Netanyahu on Gaza attacks, calls for de-escalation (Original post)
Welcome_hubby Nov 2012 OP
bluestateguy Nov 2012 #1
petesan Nov 2012 #2
jsr Nov 2012 #3
BumRushDaShow Nov 2012 #4

Response to Welcome_hubby (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 07:37 PM

1. Looks like a misleading headline

Makes it seem like Obama is calling for de-escalation. I have heard no such statements made.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Welcome_hubby (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:12 PM

2. Please educate me

Besides biblical prophecy and stabilization for the sake of oil prices, can someone please tell me why we provide unilateral support to Israel. Why do we give them 3 billion dollars in aid each year?

Reply to this post

Response to petesan (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 07:44 AM

3. The question should be

"Are you with Israel or are you with the Nazis?"

Reply to this post

Response to petesan (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 09:17 AM

4. Ask President Jimmy Carter

This was agreed to in the 1978 Camp David Accords (and Treaty) where the U.S. would fund both Israel and Egypt yearly.

http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.gov/documents/campdavid/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread