HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » McCain skips Benghazi bri...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:22 PM

McCain skips Benghazi briefing, gets testy when questioned by CNN

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: CNN

(CNN) - Most of the Republican members of a Senate committee investigating the terrorist attack at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, skipped a classified briefing by administration officials on the incident Wednesday, CNN has learned.

The missing lawmakers included Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who at the time of the top-secret briefing held a press conference in the Capitol to call for the creation of a Watergate-type special Congressional committee to investigate how and why the attack took place.

McCain, who has accused President Barack Obama of not telling the truth about the Benghazi attack, said that even though there are several committees involved in the probe, only a select committee could streamline the information flow and resolve the "many unanswered questions" about the tragedy.

When CNN approached McCain in a Capitol hallway Thursday morning, the senator refused to comment about why he missed the briefing, which was conducted by top diplomatic, military and counter-terrorism officials. Instead, McCain got testy when pressed to say why he wasn't there.

Read more: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/15/mccain-skips-benghazi-briefing-gets-testy-when-questioned-by-cnn/?hpt=hp_t1

Good video at the link. Republicans are going with an all out assault on our president, just days after he was re-elected by a wide margin. I hope the American people express their outrage with the Republican party.

14 replies, 2502 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to NeoConsSuck (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:30 PM

1. gee, and his voicemail isn't even full. .

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:31 PM

2. Occasionally we get a glimpse of the real McCain

"At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you cunt." - McCain to his wife Cindy during his 1992 Senate campaign.

Response to Lasher (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:34 PM

4. thank you, I was just going to mention that

Response to Lasher (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:52 PM

8. Hey, I'm a Senator, how dare you stop me and ask questions....I don't have to answer you..

I have executive privilege, so there!

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:33 PM

3. anybody have a link for mccain's demand for investigation into the attacks on 9/11? I mean, surely

he was demanding "a watergate-style congressional committee" to investigate that dreadful day when some THREE THOUSAND people died. but, I guess since it happened under a rethug president, that was okay.

it is long past time for johnboy to exit the public stage.

Response to niyad (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:18 PM

5. Imagine how he would have handled the whole incident as president?

Right wingers have been complaining, "OBAMA DIDN'T DO ENOUGH ABOUT BENGHAZI" for the past two months. Yet SILENCE when the seddie who could have been president instead of Obama misses a debriefing about the attacks.

Response to niyad (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:44 PM

11. The Beirut Fiasco -- Reagan Decides to Intervene in Lebanon's Civil War

In the spring of 1983, President Reagan and his team of hawkish advisors decided to intervene in Lebanon's civil war on behalf of Christian President Amin Gemayel. On March 24, the 24th Marine Amphibious Unit was dispatched to Lebanon where Muslim and Christian factions were fighting.

On April 28, 1983, a suicide bomber drove a van loaded with 2,000 pounds of explosives into the U.S. embassy in Beirut. Sixty-three people died, including seventeen Americans.

Four months later (September 6, 1983), two U.S. Marines were killed by rocket and mortar fire. At an October 19 press conference, Reagan was asked about the safety of the Marines in Beirut to which he replied, "We're looking at everything that can be done to try and make their position safer. We're not sitting idly by."

A few days later (October 23), another suicide bomber drove a truck loaded with explosives into the headquarters building of the First Battalion, 8th Marines, located at the Beirut airport. The resulting explosion killed 241 American servicemen.

Three months later, the Reagan administration removed American troops from Beirut and put them aboard offshore ships. Reagan described the retreat as taking "decisive new steps." Reagan spokesman Larry Speakes explained: "We don't consider this a withdrawal but more of a redeployment."

http://thereaganyears.tripod.com/foreignpolicy.htm

McCain was a member of the US House of Representatives during this time. Guess he was too busy to call for a Beirut inquisition against the bumbling fool Reagan.

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:42 PM

6. McShame probably knows that taking part in this charade would push him further down the sewer hole.

I am convinced that the GOP just doesn't care about their own reputations anymore. They just want to detract from the Obama Presidency any way they can. Sadly, they are performing for their base. Everyone else is moving on to really important things like the economy, global warming, education and healthcare.

Response to kelliekat44 (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:55 PM

9. +1

Progress will eventually make them nothing but the irrelevant old goats they already should be, and they are desperately trying to hold on to the power that slips farther and farther away from them every day.

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:43 PM

7. jesus cnn...

This is why i only like to talk to faux news...they always follow my narratives.

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 AM

12. McGrumpy craps his depends while missing a briefing

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 01:32 AM

13. Typical.

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:55 AM

14. Locking - duplicate thread

of http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014306348 . Please continue discussion there. Thanks.