HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » McCain First Second and A...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 03:37 PM

McCain First Second and Always (Some Sordid History)

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: The New Republic

The Senate Ethics investigation into the Keating Five scandal would last over a year, between 1989 and 1991. But before the actual hearings even began, carefully timed leaks featuring information from Committee deliberations - which were secret - began to appear. Committee members were privy to the information that was ending up in the leaks, but so were the five senators and their staffs, who received Committee documents in order to safeguard their due process rights.

To investigate those leaks, two investigations were convened: one private, by the Senate Ethics Committee and conducted by Clark "Bud" Hall; the other public, by the Senate's Temporary Special Independent Counsel, New York lawyer Peter Fleming. Howell Heflin, the Democratic Senator from Alabama who chaired the six-person Ethics Committee, consisting of three Democrats and three Republicans, took the matter very seriously. A former Chief Justice on the Alabama Supreme Court, he was respected enough to have been on Reagan's Supreme Court shortlist. After the leaks, Heflin was "madder than hell," according to Democratic Senator David Pryor of Arkansas, who was one of the other six senators on the Committee.

Hall and McCain had never met, yet soon as Hall entered, he knew McCain was not glad to see him. "He looked at me hard, right in the eyes," said Hall. He believes McCain "felt like he was being forced. ... He was there because his attorney told him he had to ." McCain would not respond to any of Hall's questions about the leaks, but every so often would say, "you're crazy," "you're crazy, man, you're crazy." This went on for about 15 minutes by Hall's estimation.

"It was one of the strangest things I've seen," says Hall. "And as a professional investigator, I've interviewed a lot of weird people. ... I am a professional investigator and he treated me like some guy off the street. I just came away with a very bad impression." Eventually Hall addressed McCain's lawyer and told him that because his client was not being responsive to the inquiry, the meeting was over.

Read more: http://www.fourwinds10.net/siterun_data/government/fraud/elections_campaigning/news.php?q=1225646012

At a time when McCain is claiming the administration has no credibility in regards to Benghazi, I thought a bit of history about McCain and his sordid history is in order.

6 replies, 1559 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply McCain First Second and Always (Some Sordid History) (Original post)
rlpincus Nov 2012 OP
JustAnotherGen Nov 2012 #1
Cha Nov 2012 #2
Liberal_Stalwart71 Nov 2012 #3
pwb Nov 2012 #4
GeorgeGist Nov 2012 #5
muriel_volestrangler Nov 2012 #6

Response to rlpincus (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 03:42 PM

1. Thanks

He does need to STFU - doesn't he?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 03:45 PM

2. Pertinent Infromation, ripincus.. but not sure it belongs in Latest Breaking News

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 03:46 PM

3. Bookmarking!! K&R!!!

:kick:

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:09 PM

4. Here is more of MCcains sordid history.

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:19 PM

5. McCain should have retired when he was ahead.

Like Joe Paterno.

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:12 PM

6. Locking - not Latest Breaking News

This is a four year old commentary and analysis piece - see http://archive.truthout.org/110208Z . Please consider posting it in Good Reads, GD or Politics 2012 (since McCain is inserting himself into current stories). Thank you.