HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Arizona Republicans Sue T...

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:36 AM

Arizona Republicans Sue To Block Ballots In Latino Precinct

Source: Talking Points Memo

Arizona Republicans Sue To Block Ballots In Latino Precinct

RYAN J. REILLY NOVEMBER 13, 2012, 5:03 PM 32150

One of the few unresolved congressional races in the nation could come down to whether voters in a heavily Latino precinct in Arizona get their ballots counted this week.

Backed by two high-powered lawyers, a supporter of Republican congressional candidate Martha McSally filed a lawsuit on Tuesday to get election authorities to halt counting of provisional ballots from a heavily Latino area of the state’s Cochise County.

The suit could be pivotal as McSally is trying to unseat Rep. Ron Barber (D) in southern Arizona’s 2nd Congressional District. At last count, McSally was trailing Barber by just 512 votes, but the lead had changed hands multiple times since election night.

Jim Nintzel of the Tucson Weekly reported that Barber campaign manager Jessica Floyd called the lawsuit an “active attempt by Martha McSally’s attorneys to disenfranchise voters in Cochise County.”

http://posting.tucsonweekly.com/images/blogimages/2012/11/13/1352837484-tro.pdf

Read more: http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/barber_mcsally_latino_precinct_ballots.php?ref=fpblg

13 replies, 3175 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to kpete (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:41 AM

1. Like cornered rats, they're getting nasty.

No offense to zoological vermin.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to marmar (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:54 AM

3. When a rat is cornered,

that's the best time to take it out.

Reply to this post

Response to marmar (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:03 AM

6. Agreement in ballot dispute in Barber-McSally race

Disputed ballots in the contentious southern Arizona congressional race between Democratic U.S. Rep. Ron Barber and GOP opponent Martha McSally will be added to the final tally, attorneys agreed Tuesday.

But the votes will be set aside, so they are not lost among the rest of the ballots, in case attorneys decide to challenge them later.

GOP officials had warned of the risk of “fraud and ballot tampering” because election workers did not properly seal and mark 130 provisional ballots in three precincts in Cochise County.

The lawsuit said one or more workers reached inside the unsealed and unmarked envelopes, pulled out “tracking forms” that had not been placed on the envelopes and affixed them to mark the envelopes without alerting political party officials, who are allowed to monitor the counting process.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/free/20121113arizona-congress-race-mcsally-barber-vote-ballot-dispute.html

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:52 AM

2. Let's hope for an honest judge.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:56 AM

4. On what grounds to they want to block the ballots. This is a huge issue, because it is the

republican strategy to disenfranchise voters

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:57 AM

5. They made a deal -- Dem's lead grows

Court OKs delay in McSally/Barber ballot dispute; Barber up 829

During an afternoon recess, attorneys for both sides agreed to keep the case open without a decision. Cochise County Superior Court Judge Wallace Hoggatt approved the agreement. The ballots will be counted, but kept segregated in case there is further legal action.

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/111312_mcsally_restraining_order/court-oks-delay-mcsally-barber-ballot-dispute-barber-up-829/

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:25 AM

7. Republicans will start to work on the Latino vote next week I guess.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:51 AM

8. Has a familair ring to it...

I am actually surprised there is/was not MORE of this voter theft effort after the election.

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:19 AM

11. Yes, like maybe they could compromise and just give each Latino 2/3's of a vote

I imagine the repugs would accept that as fair.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:38 AM

9. you should have included the late Tuesday update: compromise agreed to.

Update: The Tucson Weekly reported late Tuesday the campaigns reached a compromise to let the counting continue, but the votes may be challenged in the future.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:02 AM

10. re:Arizona Republicans Sue To Block Ballots In Latino Precinct

i have simply lost my patience with stupidity on this matter . the fffing constution gives EVERYONE the godddamed right to vote . what the fuck dont u understand about that ? hello anyone home .hello ? are u reading me . over .

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:34 PM

12. I thought they reached a settlement on this...

(also while there are a lot of Hispanics in Douglas, there are a crapload of new residents there, and they all work for homeland security)

found the thread http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014303801

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread