HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Leaked deal memo from gra...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:30 AM

Leaked deal memo from grand bargain talks - show threat to Social Security, Medicare, safety net...

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Rhiannon12866 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: DAILY KOS

by Joan McCarter

Bob Woodward got his hands on the deal memo that President Obama and House Speaker John Boehner struck in 2011 in their effort to secure a budget deal that would appease the Republicans who took the national economy hostage. Via Americablog, he described it on Meet the Press and it's bad. Really bad.

"This is a confidential document, last offer the president—the White House made last year to Speaker Boehner to try to reach this $4 trillion grand bargain. And it's long and it's tedious and it's got budget jargon in it. But what it shows is a willingness to cut all kinds of things, like TRICARE, which is the sacred health insurance program for the military, for military retirees; to cut Social Security; to cut Medicare. And there are some lines in there about, "We want to get tax rates down, not only for individuals but for businesses." So Obama and the White House were willing to go quite far."

That was 2011. The question now is how much of that is still on Obama's table. He's still proposing deficit reduction of $4 trillion over 10 years, with a 3-to-1 mix of spending cuts and revenue increases. As Ryan Grim details at Huffington Post, there just isn't a lot of fat to cut out of the budget to get at that kind of reduction without starting in on benefits and services provided by the government. Cuts to oil and gas and agricultural subsidies will only get you so far, and negotiators were only able to find about $40 billion in waste and fraud that they could agree to cut.

That leaves food stamps, (already slashed by $4 billion over the next year by the Senate, with the House still not taking action), billions in federal and military pensions, another several billion from home health care programs, raising the Medicare eligibility age, cutting Social Security benefits by recalibrating the Consumer Price Index, and of course the military and veterans health care programs. All of this was included in the negotiations between Obama and Boehner, and the parallel talks between Biden and Cantor. All of these ideas have been floated, with at least some support from the White House...

Read more: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/12/1160891/-Leaked-deal-memo-from-grand-bargain-talks-show-threat-to-Social-Security-Medicare-safety-net

22 replies, 3361 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply Leaked deal memo from grand bargain talks - show threat to Social Security, Medicare, safety net... (Original post)
Indi Guy Nov 2012 OP
Fearless Nov 2012 #1
msanthrope Nov 2012 #3
Fearless Nov 2012 #9
kitt6 Nov 2012 #15
BlueMTexpat Nov 2012 #16
chimpymustgo Nov 2012 #20
triplepoint Nov 2012 #2
msanthrope Nov 2012 #4
Unknown Beatle Nov 2012 #5
BlueMTexpat Nov 2012 #17
Mister Ed Nov 2012 #6
chimpymustgo Nov 2012 #22
ReRe Nov 2012 #7
Fearless Nov 2012 #8
ReRe Nov 2012 #10
dipsydoodle Nov 2012 #11
ReRe Nov 2012 #14
kelliekat44 Nov 2012 #12
ReRe Nov 2012 #19
Skittles Nov 2012 #13
Turbineguy Nov 2012 #18
Rhiannon12866 Nov 2012 #21

Response to Indi Guy (Original post)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:37 AM

1. That would kill Americans.

Well done assholes. Well done.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Fearless (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:40 AM

3. It's Bob Woodward for chrissakes....take a breath and wait for

actual facts as opposed to some Repuke-leaked shit filtered through Mr. Naval Intelligence.

Response to msanthrope (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:06 AM

9. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. -Desmond Tutu

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:37 AM

15. Thanks!

Bob Woodward is not all he's claims to be.

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:09 AM

16. Too true.

The only decent part of Woodward's life was his reporting on the Watergate scandal.

But it's been downhill from there, as he is now a "Toady par excellence." Success went to his head.

Response to BlueMTexpat (Reply #16)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:49 AM

20. He was a tool then, and now. Who does he really work for?

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:39 AM

2. It Ain't Necessarily True Until

It's Officially Denied. So much for campaign promises....Politicians....If they're not kissing babies, they're stealing their lollypops.

Response to triplepoint (Reply #2)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:40 AM

4. Your concern is noted. Please feel free to share more of your concerns, and enjoy your stay. nt

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:48 AM

5. Why is Obama

compromising with repugs? Fuck them! They'll get the capital by letting the bush tax cuts expire.

Response to Unknown Beatle (Reply #5)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:17 AM

17. Check comment #3

before putting too much stock in anything Woodward says.

Remember that right now the Prez has a much better hand to play than he did in 2011, with more Senators (progressives among them) and more Dems in the house than in 2011, even if there is not a majority. Some of the worst TP'ers are gone and the GOP is still smarting from the losses inflicted in 2012, even if most of them will not draw the right conclusions from the lesson.

The Prez has nothing to lose this time around - there is no Presidential election in his future - at least not one where he'll be the candidate.

At worst, he can simply wait, as you say, and let the Bush tax cuts expire.

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:48 AM

6. We've greatly strengthened Obama's hand with this election.

Let us hope that, with the decisive 2012 victory behind him, the Republicans do not find the president in such a bargaining mood as he was in after the "shellacking" of 2010.

Response to Mister Ed (Reply #6)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:51 AM

22. WE greatly strengthened Obama's hand. You said it. And he knows it. It ain't 2011 anymore!

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:02 AM

7. Yeah I heard Bob Woodward say this on Meet the Press

... and I wanted to pull my hair out. How can that deal be on the table? That was then, this is NOW. Obama will never sign it!

We need to go to where all the money is spent in this country.. Does anyone remember when George H. W. Bush was president and he downsized the military by closing bases, I think mostly state-side? And they did it too. And since GW, we built a new-improved super-sized NSA up there somewhere, probably in MD?????? Something has got to give. One simple thing we can do immediately is start bringing the troops home NOW from Afghanistan. There's got to be a gazillion places to cut besides Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. I'm tellin' you, it's an outright blatant money grab.

The reason they can't figure it out is they are right there in the middle of it. I told my sister she and I and a bunch from DU could go up there and figure this all out. I said the same thing when GW couldn't find Osama Bin Ladin. I swear, my sister and I could have gone over there and found that SOB.

Response to ReRe (Reply #7)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:04 AM

8. Exactly. 100%!!

Response to Fearless (Reply #8)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:11 AM

10. Fearlesssssss....

...you can go with me and sissy to clean this mess up. Are you going to the Inauguration?

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:11 AM

11. There looks to be one missing

On the business analysis discussions etc on Bloomberg whatever on the subject of cutbacks which could under certain circumstances "become necessary" the above get mentioned but the additional subject of education is included too. It gets mentioned in context with the quality of jobs created in the US inasmuch if there are education cutbacks there will be a long term effect.

Please don't shoot the messenger here : I'm not US and am simply pointing out an observation.

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #11)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:22 AM

14. Forgiven Dipsydoodle

Yeah, they can't touch education either, or the EPA, hell....what else? Commerce. Yeah that one could give a little, at least for a while, since our unemployment is so high. Where's that hand-dandy little cabinet book when I need it?

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:15 AM

12. "Leaked" by GOP to embarrass the President at a critical time.

The cliff is coming. Obama would never sign that deal now. They had their chance would not take it. Why should the President rescue their sorry behinds now? Woodward would love to see Obama fail...and he is going to help the GOP stand in the way of success.

Response to kelliekat44 (Reply #12)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:30 AM

19. PO has a "full house"

... in this poker game. Hang on folks...we're getting ready to go over the cliff.. Is everbody sufficiently scared yet?? (Sarcastic remark... I don't have that little raining sarcasm emoticon).

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:17 AM

13. fuck 21011

it's a whole new ballgame now

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:29 AM

18. The short version:

"Will you be satisfied if we kill 20 million Americans?"

The answer then was "no".

The election may have changed that.

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:51 AM

21. Locking, sorry, this isn't late breaking, but from Sunday.

Please consider reposting in Politics 2012, GD or Good Reads. Thanks!