HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Youth Vote Gap Suggests R...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:17 PM

Youth Vote Gap Suggests Republicans Risk Losing An 'Entire Generation' To Democrats

Source: huffingtonpost.com

<snip>
Instead, voters ages 18 to 29 -- who made up 19 percent of the electorate, a greater share than in 2008, and half of whom cast a ballot, for the third presidential election in a row -- went for Obama by 60 percent to 36 percent for Romney.

Now Republicans are faced with a grim premise as they look toward the future, with a much more racially diverse and socially liberal young voter base that supports Democrats by a large margin.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/12/youth-vote-gap-republican_n_2100155.html

55 replies, 6169 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 55 replies Author Time Post
Reply Youth Vote Gap Suggests Republicans Risk Losing An 'Entire Generation' To Democrats (Original post)
Grassy Knoll Nov 2012 OP
valerief Nov 2012 #1
Hugabear Nov 2012 #3
valerief Nov 2012 #11
Arugula Latte Nov 2012 #24
JoeyT Nov 2012 #29
Spitfire of ATJ Nov 2012 #31
Dawson Leery Nov 2012 #2
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #4
msongs Nov 2012 #5
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #6
Dawson Leery Nov 2012 #7
du_grad Nov 2012 #14
Dawson Leery Nov 2012 #16
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #37
pinto Nov 2012 #9
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #10
pinto Nov 2012 #13
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #20
Alcibiades Nov 2012 #49
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #51
Raksha Nov 2012 #53
starroute Nov 2012 #19
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #22
AlbertCat Nov 2012 #27
Diclotican Nov 2012 #30
oldhippydude Nov 2012 #32
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #38
Diclotican Nov 2012 #41
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #33
Alcibiades Nov 2012 #50
piechartking Nov 2012 #34
JPK Nov 2012 #43
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #44
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #35
ladym55 Nov 2012 #8
neversaydie Nov 2012 #12
Skittles Nov 2012 #21
workinclasszero Nov 2012 #15
olddad56 Nov 2012 #17
truthisfreedom Nov 2012 #18
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #36
SoapBox Nov 2012 #23
sakabatou Nov 2012 #25
Live and Learn Nov 2012 #26
ErikJ Nov 2012 #28
David__77 Nov 2012 #39
ut oh Nov 2012 #40
santamargarita Nov 2012 #42
FiveGoodMen Nov 2012 #45
MNBrewer Nov 2012 #46
KamaAina Nov 2012 #47
underpants Nov 2012 #48
Zoeisright Nov 2012 #52
Major Nikon Nov 2012 #54
Turbineguy Nov 2012 #55

Response to Grassy Knoll (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:21 PM

1. Amazing. You'd think the Youths would be all over Bill O'Reilly and Meatloaf.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to valerief (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:24 PM

3. Don't forget Ted Nugent

Reply to this post

Response to Hugabear (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:51 PM

11. Oh, but I try. I truly try. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:39 PM

24. Pat Boone, too! The kids just love that rock-n-roll music.

Me, I think it just sounds like noise. Can't understand the words! Where's my ear horn at?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:07 AM

29. You'd think that.

I mentioned the Meatloaf thing to my little cousin and she eventually realized who he was.

"You mean the manboobs guy in Fight Club?"

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:18 AM

31. "Meatloaf" is a synonym for "flaccid".

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:22 PM

2. Other polls had Obama at 67% with the youth vote.

With half of them voting, the GOP is going to have a problem in the next decade, and the one after.

Reply to this post

Response to Dawson Leery (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:31 PM

4. Democrats marching around in the 60's were among those who put Reagan into office, so

Last edited Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:48 PM - Edit history (1)

I wouldn't make any bets on that.

With a half-ass decent candidate and a little less effort into making people dislike them, the next election may not be that easy, especially if things keep going along as they are.

I was reading that the tbaggers have started putting our their stuff in Spanish, and several of the right-wing-terrorist orgs have talked about changes that would make them more popular, so they aren't just a static target.

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:34 PM

5. doubtful. it was the dems in the "silent majority" that went for reagan and they were NOT

marching around in the sixties nt

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:35 PM

6. lol.ok, whatever you say. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:36 PM

7. The boomers are a divided generation.

They lean towards the winners for each election.

Reply to this post

Response to Dawson Leery (Reply #7)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:13 PM

14. I totally agree regarding boomer division

I am 63. Back in the late 60's and early 70's there were lots of hippies and hippy wanna-bes. Ending the war in Viet Nam was the target of much of the unrest. However, there were many conservative kids that quietly went about their business. Please don't forget the Hawks vs. Doves - there were more Hawks around than I think we realized at the time. I was against the war but did not demonstrate, wear crazy clothes, join a commune, etc. I graduated college in 1971 and my main objective was to get a job!

Later on, as we began getting married and having families, we became more settled down. Some in our midst, after repenting their crazy ways, became Evangelicals and joined the ranks of the Christian right. Many more became more conservative, when it became THEIR money instead of their parent's money. It is difficult to paint the boomers with the same brush.

Our parents were the WWII generation. My mother is 91 and still votes, but she is frail. She is a survivor. She may or may not make it to 2016. She is in a nursing home and they helped the residents complete the paperwork so they could get absentee ballots. Although she's officially a registered Republican, she hasn't voted for a Republican for President in a very long time. Many of this generation are dying every day. Many are too ill to vote, or might be by the next election. The GOP has leaned heavily on this age group and they are disappearing. They didn't put much in the bank, so to speak, to attract the next generation of voters.

I can see the boomers voting their pocketbook more than supporting any one candidate in the future. The younger kids, however, are extremely liberal in their social views. They talk about subjects that we would never ever have brought up when we were their age. They are more accepting of differences in people than the boomers or the WWII generation.

The GOP needs to wake up and smell the coffee. They need to quit listening to these Tea Party buffoons. The old white men running the party will run it into the ground unless they wake up. I, for one, hope they keep being stupid.

Reply to this post

Response to du_grad (Reply #14)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:22 PM

16. The vast majority of millenials are concerned about family matters

and having time with them. They understand that working 60 hours a week without benefits is not conducive to having a family.
The GOP is losing badly with the millenials.

Reply to this post

Response to du_grad (Reply #14)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:01 AM

37. +1 nt

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:45 PM

9. Oh, come on. We didn't put Reagan into office. And the assumption that just a better (R) campaign

would win younger voters today is just wishful and ill-informed thinking. The Repubs have essentially lost a generational electorate. As well as a growing diverse, multi-generational electorate.

Reply to this post

Response to pinto (Reply #9)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:49 PM

10. Yeah, a whole generation just suddenly appeared on the earth to vote for the idiot.

But if it comforts you to think things will remain the same, I wish you peace.

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #10)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:02 PM

13. Don't get your points. Are they about the Reagan election or this one? Or both?

Reply to this post

Response to pinto (Reply #13)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:44 PM

20. Sorry. I do that.

The headline "... Losing An 'Entire Generation' ..." implies that people will vote this way their entire lifetime.

I think people's self-interest is satisfied in different ways as they age, and our opponents can read a poll and change. And American's like new and improved.

We will see what happens.

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #20)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:53 PM

49. We know that people do do this

People tend to lock in their partisan preference in young adulthood. There's a whole literature on generational voting trends in the electorate over time that supports this.

The GOP today is down to last-ditch measures: voter suppression, wedge issues and increasingly overt racism. They are going to become the party of the George Wallace voters and millionares, and that's pretty much it. Their last president was so unpopular they had to rebrand the bearers of the same old ideas as a "grassroots movement," the tea party rebranding which apparently won't work again. Deeply conservative suberban whites are beginning to leave, not because they have changed, but simply because the GOP has become the party of irresponsible lunatics, and they don't want to be seen in such company. It's not respectable.

I agree that we will see what will happen, but the real energy in the GOP comes from people who are obviously demented, and the party establishment reminds me of the same ossified, reality-denying types who once ran the eastern bloc: they know what they are doing is wrongheaded, but they have been doing it for too long to change now.

Reply to this post

Response to Alcibiades (Reply #49)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 12:06 AM

51. "but the real energy in the GOP comes from people who are obviously demented,"

I'm still laughing. Because it's true.

And time moves on...

Reply to this post

Response to Alcibiades (Reply #49)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:42 AM

53. I think they already are the party of George Wallace voters and millionaires,

as you put it. This last election proved it. It's only going to get worse for them as the old racists die off. The Republican Party is at a dead end...I just wonder if they know it.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:41 PM

19. I checked out the figures for the 1980 vote a few months ago

And only about half of the voters under 35 or whatever cutoff point they used voted for Reagan, while the older voters went for him by overwhelming margins. So it's very unlikely that many 1960s Democrats or anti-war protesters voted for him. It was mainly the older folks plus the young conservatives and the southerners who'd been voting GOP all along.

Despite what they'd like you to believe, very few young progressives actually turn conservative as they get older -- and especially not those who have been actively involved in progressive movements.

Reply to this post

Response to starroute (Reply #19)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:00 PM

22. If they were 20ish in 1960 they were 40ish in 1980,which seems to fit your facts.

Thank you for going to so much trouble, it was just a general observation about the whole population, even though I said Democrat.I didn't mean to imply that "DEMOCRATS" changed, though those Democrats (solid, Oklahoma old-line Democrats) were the ones inciting their children to turn black kid's buses over in 1974 in Oklahoma City - children I grew up with) certainly could have.

More it was the percentage of the population that was living in a freer way when they were younger, who changed as they grew older, got kids, got mortgages.

It's been my experience as I watched them, ymmv.

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #22)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:51 PM

27. If they were 20ish in 1960 they were 40ish in 1980,which seems to fit your facts.

Think about it...

In the 60's there was plenty! It was a prosperous time. You're in your 20's! Wooppeeee!

The 70's ...not so much (if you don't compare it to today) They are in their 30's and politics and "free love" had become cynical. Watergate was a bummer. Carter wanted us to sacrifice and be frugal.

Now as you go into your 40's comes Reagan with the message "Greed is good". No wonder so many voted for him. It's like that "hear what you want to hear" thing Fox News does so well now. Lots of hippies fell for it.

But it's falling apart now. Their ideas worked for the insiders and richie rich. But to the majority now it obviously doesn't work. The GOP is a cult for the true believers and people missing a USSR to blame everything on. It's so confusing when you don't have a country that's "the" enemy.

Reply to this post

Response to AlbertCat (Reply #27)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:10 AM

30. AlbertCat

AlbertCat

The USSR is dead - and communism is not what it once was... But one of the few things that made the powers to be aware of fairness - was in fact USSR.. As long as USSR existed, the more extreme views of the conservatives was kept in sc heck.. As they was afraid of the "masses" who might turn against them. After all, the generations who ruled the world in the 1950 and 1960s - and parts of the 1970s, was old enough to might have known what the "masses" could do if they got angry enough.. Even by to days Standard Reagan would have been looked upon as a moderate... And he was NO moderate in the 1960s, 1960s, 170s and 1980s...

Today we "masses" doesn't have any USSR to scare the hell out of the power brokers - even China is as capitalistic as USA is.. Maybe more... It doesn't exist any counter to the neo-conservatives anymore... And I fear that could mean real problems down the road.. For everyone..

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Response to Diclotican (Reply #30)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:34 AM

32. you all talking about my generation.. i was first year of the boomer's 1946

as was Bill & Hillary Clinton, GWB, and a year latter Willard Romney... my first Presidential vote was for HHH... i have never voted for a republican for president, senator, or any national office.... there are many of us out here... in fact in 08 i had the feeling, and couldn't help voicing it that "I have waited 40 years for the election"... there are those of who did not loose faith even in the darkest days..

thank the millennials.. they renewed my heart

Reply to this post

Response to oldhippydude (Reply #32)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:03 AM

38. +1000 nt

Reply to this post

Response to oldhippydude (Reply #32)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:02 AM

41. oldhippydude

oldhippydude

Good, that you never voted for any republicans - I have never voted for the conservative party here in Norway either - always strait Social-democratic.. Even though I believe our social democratic Party is little to the left of the left part of your Democratic Party...

I was following the elections in 08, it was interesting to look at, even though I hoped for Hillary Clinton rather than Obama in the primaries, but as it was - I think Obama was the best candidate to fight the McCain/Palin scare (I'm still surprised why Palin was his choose of vice-president, as she clearly is bab shit crazy) And I was celebrating with the rest, when Obama was elected - and it was GREAT to look at how the republicans, was trying to come to the reality that they had lost, not just to a democratic candidate - but in fact to a BLACK MAN.. who happened to be democratic.. And even though Obama might not be as "liberal" as many believed, I at list think he managed to do great things, in the spite of the republican party's unwillingness to even try to work with the president... And I doubt the Republicans will be any more inclined to work with the president, even after this horrible election for them.. I fear they will just dig down, and try to make the next 4 years as troublesome for the democratic party, and for the president as posible... They are a gang of absolute evils... Better broke the bank, than to fix what is wrong...

Yeah, I think the future looking better than the past have been - the dark days of republican rule is maybe over - for a while - or maybe permanent if the republicans choose to go further to the right.... I have great hopes for the generations after ours... They know mutch more than you, and I (Im not exactly a boomer, born after that) ever know in our own upbringning..

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Response to AlbertCat (Reply #27)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:05 AM

33. People change. I doubt they have been lost for a generation. Heck, I wouldn't

get complacent about 4 years from now if I wanted to continue to win. That's a long time...

But that's just me

Reply to this post

Response to starroute (Reply #19)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:56 PM

50. Except that that's the point

They had not been voting GOP all along. 1980 was only made possible by the southern strategy, and it marked the turning point when the last conservative southern Democrats switched parties for real and for good.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, BTW. These people are still Republicans, but they are really really old now. The old George Wallace crowd.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:42 AM

34. I agree that there's no such thing as a free lunch

I don't know what form the Republican Party will take in 2014 and 2016, but I agree that they're not a bunch of dumbasses (I hope that they are, of course) and something tells me they're too smart and not "principled" enough to stand by their convictions till the bitter end.

I don't expect an unbroken string of victories from here on until I retire in 30 years, in other words.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:59 PM

43. Ummmm, not so fast......

Carter had a situation in Iran that lingered on for a year and the traitorous republicon party was meeting with enemies of the state encouraging them to hold on to the hostages until after the election, thus insuring a defeat of Carter. From that traitorous alliance, Iran Contra grew. The most nefarious gang of thugs ever to hold the White House until the criminals Bush and Cheney were placed in the WH by another traitorous group in the USSC. All of them should at the least be in prison serving life sentences for the untold damages they did to our democracy. That would have been too merciful as far as I'm concerned. Think of how different our history would have been if Carter received a second term and Gore rightly assumed the presidency. I can think of several thousand american and nato service men and women that would be celebrating the holidays with their families this year.

They are so absolute in their disgust for our constitution as well as the average people that live and work in this country. I don't know how they can sleep at night but money and power make for a comfortable wall between their concience and what their actions actually did to this country.

Reply to this post

Response to JPK (Reply #43)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:53 PM

44. My point was in responding to the statement "lost for a generation". People change,

and it would be shortsighted to think that they don't, especially if one forgets to respect that group after they voted. American's are always looking for an easier solution, and there is a whole world of potential effects out there.

Reply to this post

Response to Dawson Leery (Reply #2)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:59 AM

35. +1 nt

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:37 PM

8. This is encouraging news

I work on a fairly conservative college campus, with a large "Christian" influence. I'm glad to see young adults elsewhere are not Rmoney conservatives.

Reply to this post

Response to ladym55 (Reply #8)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:52 PM

12. Amen!

I was getting tired of hearing the young ones spouting Rush Limbaugh as a credible journalist. I thought young people and college students were supposed to be idealistic and democratic. You're not supposed to switch parties until after you get old, fat and rich. I'm just old and fat; not rich, so I'm still a democrat. Of course, even if I do get rich, I'll always be a dem!!!

Reply to this post

Response to ladym55 (Reply #8)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:48 PM

21. it is indeed

it gives me hope for America

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:17 PM

15. I guess Pat Boone just ain't hip enough for the youth anymore :P

He is a lousy birther teabag creep anyway.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:36 PM

17. deservedly so

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:38 PM

18. Republicans: the party if the past.

They're going to have to do a flip flop like rMoney. No, wait a minute, that didn't work!

Reply to this post

Response to truthisfreedom (Reply #18)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:00 AM

36. +1 nt

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:17 PM

23. Whatever they are doing

I want them to keep it up!

2014 & 2016...Bring It!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:40 PM

25. This is what happens when you cater to the old, white folk primarily

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:42 PM

26. As it should be considering they've attempted to decimate their

earning abilities and security.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:01 AM

28. Maybe they are scared of Climate change-and the GOP offers zilch

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:29 AM

39. That's like the FDR generation.

This will have real implications in the future.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 10:53 AM

40. I really hope that's the case

Maybe it sounds close minded, but we've had enough of RW policies for several lifetimes.

Maybe a new centrist party will come out of it and the USA can shift back to being a center-left country.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:59 PM

42. Anyone that remembers Bush Hell wouldn't...

want to ever go through that again.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:11 PM

45. Don't know how many times I've read that the coming demographic shift will pull the rug from under

the GOP.

Since I started hearing that...

1) Dubya was in the White House for eight years

2) The House lurched back to the right in 2010

3) Most news sources became even more insanely RW after Obama's election

4) A week ago we won a lot of important races, but by a too-close-for-comfort margin in almost all cases.

I keep hearing that the young people will save us, but I just keep hearing it, and hearing it, and hearing it...

That's not too comforting.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:47 PM

46. I've read that the 19% was even higher than the over 65 age group

which was at 18%. Good news. If we can keep the young people turning out as the old farts expire...

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 06:55 PM

47. Their youth outreach effort is called "Generation Opportunity"

and its head is my age, 48.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 07:47 PM

48. Didn't Karl Rove say that they would be in power for "a generation"????

or wasn't it a millenia....oh no that was just his mentors

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 12:24 AM

52. Let us hope so.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:51 AM

54. People in the 60-69 age bracket vote at 3 times the rate as 18-29

The hard part is getting young people to show up at the polls. If we could do this, the GOP would be null AND void.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:33 AM

55. What a coincidence!

It's the same generation they want to kill.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread