HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Petraeus' mistress sent h...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:58 PM

Petraeus' mistress sent harassing e-mails to military liaison: official [photo of Jill Kelley]

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: New York Post newspaper

Jill Kelley (2nd right) is the military liaison who was harassed by Retired Gen. David Petraeus' mistress, Paula Broadwell. Petraeus is on the left, and his wife, Holly, is on the right.

WASHINGTON — A senior U.S. military official says the author who had an affair with David Petraeus sent harassing emails to a woman who was a "social liaison" to military bases in Tampa, Fla.

The official says 37-year-old Jill Kelley in Tampa, Fla., received the emails from Petraeus biographer Paula Broadwell that triggered an FBI investigation.

The official was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

...Feinstein said Sunday that she has not been told the precise relationship between Petraeus and the woman who reported the harassing emails to the FBI. She said she has been told only that she was someone Petraeus "knew and was close to." ...

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/senate_intelligence_committee_petraeus_UYfmnUBvIiSeEKaN1wgBPL

I find it very hard to believe there was absolutely no potential of a criminal matter prior to the FBI's decision to investigate; there are in fact criminal harassment laws on the books in Florida. I guess in the coming days we will find out what the bio author, Paula, was writing to Jill that so upset Jill.

I also think Patraeus resigned more out of a sense of embarrassment than out of honor, if this was his first affair.

And when you have subordinates who surely would have been disciplined or fired for the same conduct at the CIA, he did have to go, IMO.

34 replies, 5406 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 34 replies Author Time Post
Reply Petraeus' mistress sent harassing e-mails to military liaison: official [photo of Jill Kelley] (Original post)
anobserver2 Nov 2012 OP
anobserver2 Nov 2012 #1
rightsideout Nov 2012 #13
Gin Nov 2012 #2
anobserver2 Nov 2012 #4
aletier_v Nov 2012 #3
Justice Nov 2012 #6
aletier_v Nov 2012 #8
Justice Nov 2012 #5
gateley Nov 2012 #28
HooptieWagon Nov 2012 #7
anobserver2 Nov 2012 #9
aletier_v Nov 2012 #12
Festivito Nov 2012 #10
Bumblebee Nov 2012 #19
Festivito Nov 2012 #29
SoapBox Nov 2012 #11
aletier_v Nov 2012 #14
anobserver2 Nov 2012 #16
aletier_v Nov 2012 #21
anobserver2 Nov 2012 #22
aletier_v Nov 2012 #24
alcibiades_mystery Nov 2012 #15
anobserver2 Nov 2012 #17
Zen Democrat Nov 2012 #18
left on green only Nov 2012 #20
ronnie624 Nov 2012 #32
funkhowser1 Nov 2012 #33
Sophiegirl Nov 2012 #23
aletier_v Nov 2012 #25
anobserver2 Nov 2012 #26
aletier_v Nov 2012 #27
Mojorabbit Nov 2012 #31
JI7 Nov 2012 #30
muriel_volestrangler Nov 2012 #34

Response to anobserver2 (Original post)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:04 PM

1. though I am wondering what federal criminal law would be involved in this

I just find it hard to believe the FBI would launch an investigation without any criminal law potentially involved.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to anobserver2 (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:22 PM

13. I think the investigation has more to do with national security and to prevent potential bribery

When a high level fed gets in a situation like this there is a potential for him to be the victim of bribery or extortion. And since the mistress in question had access to the general . . . LOL . . . there's a potential for national security interests to be at risk. This is why the FBI is involved. More to prevent extortion and to protect national security then to find criminal involvement. But who knows where this could lead.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:04 PM

2. Betrayus and Jill resemble each other. IMO

Response to Gin (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:07 PM

4. IS it possible he was having an affair with this woman, Jill, too?

Who knows.

How do high level people even have time for affairs? I have never understood that. Aren't they busy enough in their high powered jobs?
I guess not.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:07 PM

3. Yeah, the more I read on this, the more I think Broadwell FORWARDED

threatening emails to Kelley, asking for help.

Response to aletier_v (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:09 PM

6. help with what? forwarded what emails?

Response to Justice (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:13 PM

8. I think somebody threatened Broadwell, to expose the affair

Who can she talk to about it?

Not her husband.
Patraeus himself? She's already gotten him into serious trouble.

Kelley is a "close friend", ergo she probably already knows about the affair.

And splish-splash, Kelley's sister is a lawyer who deals with whistleblowers.

Broadwell forwards the threats to Kelley and asks for advice.

This makes a lot more sense to me.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:09 PM

5. Do we know whether Kelley knew the emails were coming from Broadwell?

I feel as if the emails were anonymous and that is why Kelley went to the FBI.

I also think Kelley had no idea about Paula being Petraeus' mistress.

If Paula named herself in the emails, and Jill was close to Petraeus, Jill could have just asked Petraeus to intervene (because Jill would have known Paula was the biographer of Petraeus' book). Jill would not have wanted to hurt Petraeus.

Response to Justice (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:40 AM

28. One report I heard said the emails were anonymous.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:11 PM

7. Federal crime to send threatening emails across state lines...

which is how the FBI got involved.
As to Jill Kelley and David Petreaus, my understanding is the two families are friends. Don't know if anything more. David Petreaus headed CentCom, which is HQ'd at MacDill AFB in Tampa. Jill Kelley is a Social Liason at the base, I don't know what that job entails, but thats likely how the families met. Kelley's husband is a Tampa surgeon.
Petreaus likely resigned to preserve rank and pension, possibly would have lost them in a court-martial. Broadwell likely faces court-martial if her case ends up there rather than civilian court. Probably faces harsher charges and penalties in military court.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:16 PM

9. what about Paula being the social companion of the general at social functions?

I read somewhere, to my surprise, that this bio author, Paula, sometimes accompanied
the general to social functions (I would have thought the general's wife did that).

Maybe there was some disagreement between Paula and Jill about who should get what invitation to some
social event or something like that? With Jill thinking the wife Holly should come, and Paula demanding she, Paula,
get her name on some list to attend an event? Something like that?

It seems like that is possible in light of the military "social liaison" position of Jill. Some conflict with RSVP-ing to a
military social event / and who would attend with the general, with Paula insisting it would be her, Paula, and Jill
insisting it had to be the general's wife, Holly.

Just a guess.

Response to anobserver2 (Reply #9)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:19 PM

12. at this point, I believe the affair was well known within their circle

an accepted situation by everyone involved.

an outsider, i.e. potential blackmailer, probably wouldn't know that, though.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:16 PM

10. Something's afoot, like trying to keep Spitzer from getting an admin job.

I just hope someone considers Dennis Kucinich for head of CIA. That would be a cleanup of epic proportion.

Response to Festivito (Reply #10)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:43 PM

19. That's a joke

Right?

Response to Bumblebee (Reply #19)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:59 AM

29. But, I'm laughing because I like it so much.

Something is going on behind the scenes concerning the mistresses and I can't seem to find some solid ground just yet.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:17 PM

11. And there was a post today about Cantor being told about the harassing emails...

and then his office went to the FBI.

So what was up with that story?

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:23 PM

14. Yes, this makes more sense to me

Somebody tried to blackmail Broadwell because they knew Patraeus would shut them down immediately,
they figured she'd be weaker.

They tried to get Benghazi info or some such out of her.

She forwarded the email to Kelley, etc, etc.

Response to aletier_v (Reply #14)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:32 PM

16. I don't think any credible scenario exists yet to explain everything

Why would she forward email to Kelley in that situation, and why would Kelley then forward to the FBI?
It seems to me Paula the author or Kelley would have first gone to the general rather than get the FBI involved.
I am thinking it might be much more mundane a matter that triggered some sort of suspicion; I don't believe everyone
(or anyone) knew about this affair, either.

This woman Paula was on television etc talking about her book.

What I would like to know is when this affair ended, if it did - just recently because of this FBI investigation? Or long ago?
Or, I am assuming, that it's really none of anyone's business, the exact begin and end dates of an affair?

I don't know.

Response to anobserver2 (Reply #16)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:52 PM

21. I disagree. I think the overall behavior says the affair was known

That's how these things go.
Everybody looks the other way.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/petraeus-told-friends-affair-paula-broadwell-began-left/story?id=17693092#.UKB_e-TAdKU

"The affair between Gen. Petraeus and Broadwell, both of whom are married, began several months after his retirement from the army in August 2011".

"People close to the general had previously suspected Broadwell's feelings for him had crossed a professional line"

Ha.
I Knew it.
Part of it was leaving a known environment (military).

Response to aletier_v (Reply #21)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:10 AM

22. NY Daily News has quotes from Paula's dad who says "something bigger is going on"

From the New York Daily News, which has another, different photo of Jill Kelley:

The mystery woman who blew the lid off former CIA Director David Petraeus’ career-ending affair is also tied to the military — a sexy social liaison for an Air Force base in Tampa who says she and the ex-general are just “friends.”

Jill Kelley, 37, a married mother of three from the Gulf Coast city, alerted the FBI several months ago after receiving emails from Petraeus’ alleged mistress, biographer Paula Broadwell, warning the stunning Tampa socialite to “stay away from” the spymaster, according to sources with knowledge of the messages.

The raven-haired Kelley, who has an unpaid position as a social planner for MacDill Air Force Base, insisted in a statement Sunday her relationship with the retired four-star general and ex-CIA director was platonic, dating to when Petraeus ran the U.S. Central Command from the base.

...But Broadwell’s father said Sunday his daughter is the victim of character assassination and implied the bombshell story is just a smoke screen for something bigger.

“This is about something else entirely, and the truth will come out,” Broadwell’s dad, Paul Krantz, told the Daily News outside his home in Bismarck, N.D....

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ap-source-target-emails-petraeus-paramour-state-department-military-liaison-article-1.1200299#ixzz2BywVlmCU

Response to anobserver2 (Reply #22)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:13 AM

24. I agree. Something bigger is going on and it's not Benghazi coverup

Somebody tried to blackmail Patraeus or Broadwell.

They're twisted the story around to avoid talking about it,
because it's most certainly associated with Rove or Romney people.

That's my current assessment.
I admit, I could be wrong but that's how I read this so far.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:30 PM

15. Looks like a bunch of folks riding Uncle Sugar's gravy train

I wonder why the right wing never get pissed off at this cohort of freeloaders.

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #15)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:34 PM

17. Speaking of which re FL

You know, I have to laugh when people talk about Republicans wanting "smaller" government - which state had the LONGEST ballot,
with MORE potential new laws; which state is constantly passing a truckload of new "laws" in the south? It's GOP Florida. So -- what "small" government?
They expand regulation after regulation down there. Those GOP lawmakers never stop. Or slow down.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:36 PM

18. The FBI was investigating the Benghazi attack from the beginning. It happened 2 months ago tonight.

The FBI investigation regarding Paula Broadwell has been going on for a couple of months. Now I hear the FBI found classified information on her computer. I find it hard to believe that all of it isn't in the same milieu.

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:44 PM

20. I really like their hippy beads........

.......or do you suppose that the photo could have been taken in New Orleans during Mardi Gras?

Response to left on green only (Reply #20)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:09 AM

32. They're standing on the Kelley's front lawn in Tampa, watching a Gasparilla parade,

according to an NY Daily News article in post #22.

Response to ronnie624 (Reply #32)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 02:20 AM

33. Gasparilla

Tampa's version of Mardi Gras. Allows all the rich bankers and business men to dress as pirates and "invade" and take over Tampa. Gives them an excuse to start drinking at 7:am and walk the streets shooting off blanks and mini cannons. Beads and women flashing for beads is part of the "tradition".

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:11 AM

23. My 2 cents...

To me, this isn't as cloak and dagger as people are speculating. The woman in question, who recieved the emails, is a U.S. State Department liaison to the military's Joint Special Operations Command.

With my knowledge and understanding of the senior levels of government, it makes little sense to me that this woman would initiate an FBI investigation if she were "intimately" involved with Patreaus. It would be political suicide. Additionally, if there was some kind of cover up over Benghazi, the very LAST thing a State Department liaison would subject herself to is an FBI investigation.

IMHO - this Broadwell woman was well off the jealousy cliff and made a huge mistake threatening a State Department liaison to the Joint Special Ops Command. Seriously? I would not, in any shape or form, send someone with a connection to this agency ANY type of threatening message to.

From what I have read, Broadwell sent harassing messages to Ms. Kelley "anonymously" but after contacting the FBI, the messages were traced back to Broadwell. That led to the connection to Petreaus.

I don't believe there is some grand conspiracy here.

Two things:

1. I would like to know the contents of the emails.

and...

2. I want to know if anyone else thinks that "Broadwell" and her book "All In" are both unfortunate names considering the circumstances.

Response to Sophiegirl (Reply #23)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:19 AM

25. According to Patraeus, the affair had ended

The timing here is all wrong, too.

Too close to the election to be coincidence,
but the original FBI investigation is floating around for over two months?

We're not getting the full story, I'm pretty sure of that.

I think somebody tried to blackmail Broadwell,
and introduced this "FBI whistleblower" to make good on the threat.

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:28 AM

26. The woman who received the emails doesn't even have a paid job - she is a volunteer

According to the NY Daily News:

... The mystery woman who blew the lid off former CIA Director David Petraeus’ career-ending affair is also tied to the military — a sexy social liaison for an Air Force base in Tampa who says she and the ex-general are just “friends.”

Jill Kelley, 37, a married mother of three from the Gulf Coast city, alerted the FBI several months ago after receiving emails from Petraeus’ alleged mistress, biographer Paula Broadwell, warning the stunning Tampa socialite to “stay away from” the spymaster, according to sources with knowledge of the messages.

The raven-haired Kelley, who has an unpaid position as a social planner for MacDill Air Force Base,insisted in a statement Sunday her relationship with the retired four-star general and ex-CIA director was platonic, dating to when Petraeus ran the U.S. Central Command from the base....

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ap-source-target-emails-petraeus-paramour-state-department-military-liaison-article-1.1200299#ixzz2Bz1FVOoo

Response to anobserver2 (Reply #26)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:33 AM

27. Yes, the story doesn't hold together.

She's in Tampa, their relationship is pre-Paula,
and he's in DC anyway.

Cover story doesn't work for me.

OMG, I just realized, I drove by the CIA headquarters two weeks ago,
I'm new to the area and didn't realize where it was.

Response to aletier_v (Reply #27)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:05 AM

31. I agree. Something is really off about the official story. nt

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:00 AM

30. Broadwell kind of reminds me of that piece of Shit Rielle Hunter

Rielle Hunter would get jealous and do things like tip off media to the affair and other things. she is having an affair with a married man yet she felt wronged .

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 04:55 AM

34. Locking - duplicate thread

of http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1014&pid=300682 . Please continue discussion there. Thanks.