HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Record snow, new power ou...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:54 AM

Record snow, new power outages as storm slams Northeast

Source: NBC News

Residents across the Northeast woke up Thursday to more than 100,000 new power outages and record early snow from a nor'easter that struck just 10 days after Superstorm Sandy battered the region.

<snip>

With the new outages, some 700,000 customers are without power across the Northeast.

Record snowfall totals were recorded across the area:

<snip>

Read more: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/08/15016190-record-snow-new-power-outages-as-storm-slams-northeast

11 replies, 2121 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Record snow, new power outages as storm slams Northeast (Original post)
bananas Nov 2012 OP
RobertEarl Nov 2012 #1
codjh9 Nov 2012 #2
dipsydoodle Nov 2012 #5
starroute Nov 2012 #6
dipsydoodle Nov 2012 #7
KoKo Nov 2012 #8
Liberalagogo Nov 2012 #10
codjh9 Nov 2012 #11
Progressive dog Nov 2012 #3
freshwest Nov 2012 #4
HockeyMom Nov 2012 #9

Response to bananas (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:00 PM

1. Bummer. Let the Sunshine! Obama Won!

It's a good thing they proved radiation doesn't effect the weather. Cuz if they hadn't there would be some yahoo on here claiming that the nuclear radiation spread far and wide from Fukushima et al, could be having an effect on the atmosphere.

/sarcasm

Wait. Isn't sunshine a major source of radiation? Damn, there goes that theory. Yahoo!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:02 PM

2. And you know some die-hard global warming deniers will point to record early snow

and still maintain that this 'proves' that it's all 'a hoax'. It never ceases to amaze me how many times I've read or overheard idiotic comments like that, when who ever said a) global warming meant it wouldn't get cold again, or b) (more importantly) that ONE storm had diddly squat to do with anything? - it's GLOBAL AVERAGES, morons!

Reply to this post

Response to codjh9 (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:14 PM

5. Worst Nor'easter ever

was the Great Blizzard of 1888. Nor'easters are Nor'easters : simple as that.

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #5)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:26 PM

6. It would be nice if we learned as many lessons now as they did in 1888

The United States in 1888 was already an advanced technological society -- and natural disasters play havoc with advanced technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1888

The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Telegraph infrastructure was disabled, isolating Montreal and most of the large northeastern U.S. cities from Washington, D.C. to Boston for days. Following the storm, New York began placing its telegraph and telephone infrastructure underground to prevent their destruction. ...

In New York, neither rail nor road transport was possible anywhere for days, and drifts across the New York–New Haven rail line at Westport, Connecticut took eight days to clear; transportation gridlock as a result of the storm was partially responsible for the creation of the first underground subway system in the United States, which opened nine years later in Boston. The New York Stock Exchange was closed for two days.

Fire stations were immobilized, and property loss from fire alone was estimated at $25 million. Severe flooding occurred after the storm due to melting snow, especially in the Brooklyn area, which was more susceptible to serious flooding due to its topography.

Reply to this post

Response to starroute (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:32 PM

7. That is a truly amazing picture from that time.

Reply to this post

Response to starroute (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:47 PM

8. Thanks for that...Fascinating piece of history

Reply to this post

Response to codjh9 (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 02:05 PM

10. Plus

warmer temperatures means more moisture in the air. Winter temperatures condense said moisture resulting in record snowfall. I mean if I can understand that, why can't wingnuts? Oh, I guess the answer to that is obvious.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberalagogo (Reply #10)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 02:28 PM

11. Exactly. A typical insane example is a guy I saw ranting about the recent thing about organic

food, saying that a website supporting the benefits of it (which was from Stanford, I believe) was a 'liberal website', therefore wrong or to be avoided. Whether what the website had on it was true or not wasn't on his radar whatsoever.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:05 PM

3. God must hate us

Seriously, I hope that the power companies and governments here can speed up the recovery and restoration of power. It's cold here. We lost power for a little over two days and within a mile there are families still without power since Sandy. This is in an area at the fringe of the storm damage.

Reply to this post

Response to Progressive dog (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:13 PM

4. I don't know if you're in a city or the countryside, and can employ propane or wood? Good luck.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:53 PM

9. While I don't wish this on anyone,

I sincerely hope that this storm goes to the areas which weren't devastated with Sandy. To be homeless, flooded out already, no power already, etc., and to be hit again with snow and now FREEZING temps, please, please, please, NO. People haven't recovered from LAST WEEK with Sandy.

To all, be SAFE and Best Wishes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread