HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » UPDATE: Maffei declares v...

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:05 PM

UPDATE: Maffei declares victory; Buerkle says all votes should be counted

Source: Auburn Citizen

"Democratic candidate Dan Maffei is declaring victory in the 24th Congressional District, even though U.S. Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle, R-Onondaga Hill hasn't conceded yet.

"I am honored that the people of central New York have elected me to represent them in Congress. We have won an important victory for central New York's middle class," Maffei said. "I am looking forward to working to fix our economy, create jobs, and rebuild our middle class. I would like to thank the voters, and all of our supporters who invested their time and energy in our campaign. This victory belongs to them."

As of 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Buerkle was trailing Democratic congressional candidate Dan Maffei by 14,601 votes. There are 21,500 absentee ballots. Buerkle would need to win a vast majority of the ballots in order to erase Maffei's lead and win the race.

Unofficial results -- 24th Congressional District

Democratic candidate Dan Maffei 131,242

U.S. Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle, R-Onondaga Hill 116,641

Green Party candidate Ursula Rozum 21,413

Read more: http://auburnpub.com/blogs/eye_on_ny/update-maffei-declares-victory-buerkle-says-all-votes-should-be/article_207bb576-28f4-11e2-8a4c-0019bb2963f4.html

She is crazy. By my math, she'd have to win approximately 83% of the absentee ballots in order to win. This is why the networks called this race for Maffei.

5 replies, 1481 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply UPDATE: Maffei declares victory; Buerkle says all votes should be counted (Original post)
IfPalinisAnswerWatsQ Nov 2012 OP
IfPalinisAnswerWatsQ Nov 2012 #1
whistler162 Nov 2012 #2
IfPalinisAnswerWatsQ Nov 2012 #3
IfPalinisAnswerWatsQ Nov 2012 #4
Cooley Hurd Nov 2012 #5

Response to IfPalinisAnswerWatsQ (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:12 PM

1. Updated link, Maffei gaining more votes on Buerkle:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/buerkle_holds_on_while_four_ot.html#incart_river_default

So four other races that were closer in NY state were all conceded last night. Yet Buerkle will not.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:12 PM

2. Dang if I knew it was going to be by that

many votes I would have voted for Rozum. I am glad we are getting rid of Buerkle but I wish the Democratic Party had found someone better than Maffei. The guy makes me twitchy.

Reply to this post

Response to whistler162 (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:17 PM

3. It was important to beat Rozum I feel. This is the district in which I grew up

Rozum drew votes exclusively from Maffei. If you combine Maffei and Rozum's support then you get the same margin that Obama did in the district.

It was important for Rozum to lose badly so hopefully she won't run again in 2014. We don't want the Republicans getting sensible and nominating someone like Richard Hanna, do we? Do we?

Because Richard Hanna could have beaten Maffei in NY-24 this year, especially with Rozum in the race.

Maffei is a progressive. His voting record is progressive. His problem is that he's not a chummy people-person type like Obama. More likeable than Buerkle, but that's a low bar. Maffei needs to continue being left of center ot fend off a Green challenge. This seat is a D seat for the foreseeable future if Maffei doesn't screw up.

Reply to this post

Response to whistler162 (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:19 PM

4. Also,

remember when Buerkle talked about challenging a neighboring Republican in his congressional district in a primary if the Dems succeeded in adding Tompkins County to the district?

I give it a 15% shot of her primarying Hanna next time and beating him. She has a lot of outside money. Then she'd lose the general election.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:06 AM

5. Latest update: Buerkle CONCEDES!

Goodbye Teabagger!!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread