HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'I have learned from you,...

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:33 AM

'I have learned from you,' says president in tearful Chicago finale

Source: The Hill

“Despite all of our differences, most of us share hopes for America’s future,” Obama said before a crowd of thousands at the McCormick Place convention center in Chicago.

“We want our kids to grow up in a country where they have access to the best schools, the best teachers. We want our children to live in an America that isn’t burdened by debt, that isn’t weakened by inequality, that isn’t threatened by the disruptive power of a warming planet. We want to pass on a country that’s safe and respected and admired around the world.”

Obama, who won an easy victory in the Electoral College by sweeping most of the swing states up for grabs, said he was returning to the White House “more determined and more inspired than ever.”

“Whether I have earned your vote or not, I have listened to you, I have learned from you and you have made me a better president,” Obama added.

Read more: http://thehill.com/video/campaign/266503-obama-calls-on-nation-to-put-aside-its-differences-after-election

11 replies, 2249 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'I have learned from you,' says president in tearful Chicago finale (Original post)
kpete Nov 2012 OP
RetroGamer1971 Nov 2012 #1
VWolf Nov 2012 #2
cilla4progress Nov 2012 #3
BlueMTexpat Nov 2012 #4
BlueNoteSpecial Nov 2012 #5
adigal Nov 2012 #6
llmart Nov 2012 #8
Odin2005 Nov 2012 #11
murielm99 Nov 2012 #7
Nancy Waterman Nov 2012 #9
Odin2005 Nov 2012 #10

Response to kpete (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:41 AM

1. Sniff!

Hold on....I have dust in my eye.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RetroGamer1971 (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:44 AM

2. Damn alleriges.. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:49 AM

3. Helluva speech last night.

I'm running out of words for it...but it was superlative to watch him drink in the love last night.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:50 AM

4. I'm so proud of this beautiful family -

and they all truly are beautiful in every way!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:58 AM

5. And I have learned from you, Mr. President.

Patience, wisdom, calm, respect, inspiration, honor, integrity, temperance, fortitude, conduct, dignity, and a love of my fellow citizenry I never considered, until hearing your heartfelt message 8 very long years ago. I have evolved, I have changed. I love it. We the People, indeed. Godspeed.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:09 PM

6. What a wonderful family!! He, Michelle and his beautiful girls!!

His older girl looks just like Michelle!! So beautiful, tall and elegant. It is wonderful to watch them grow up, right in front of our eyes.

Reply to this post

Response to adigal (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 07:35 PM

8. They are surely a class act......

all of them. The youngest daughter is going to be a beauty when she gets older. Of course, the oldest one is already a beauty and looks like Michelle.

It is great to have some class back in the White House after the train wreck that was the Bush family

Reply to this post

Response to adigal (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:01 PM

11. Malia looks like her mom, Sasha looks like her dad!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 01:13 PM

7. My husband and I were in that crowd.

At 10:00 a.m., we were given tickets by our local OFA office. They were our reward for our hard work. We left here in the afternoon, and got to McCormick Place around 6:30. Traffic was terrible, because they closed Lake Shore Drive several times for the President's motorcade.

Everything was orderly inside, and crowded. The security was good. There were few people who were rude, because everyone was so excited over an Obama win. It was fun to watch the election results with a friendly crowd, because I live in a red county. I feel like I have thousands of new friends.

Standing on that concrete in the convention hall for five hours or so was tough. We had a good spot, but I started to get dehydrated and faint, so we got some water and went to a wall where we could sit down for awhile. I felt better after that.

It was late before Mitt conceded, so President Obama did not give his speech until after midnight. I thought Mitt had Romnesia again, and would go to bed, forgetting that he had to give a concession speech.

We didn't get home until about 5:00 a.m. My husband had pictures in his cell phone. I don't know how good they are, but I hope someone can tell me how to post them. We have these badges we had to wear around our necks. (Yes, we did need stinking batches)! They will be a souvenir we keep forever! It was a tough, tiring evening for us, but well worth it.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 07:36 PM

9. Awesome speech!

I just heard it for the first time on my DVR. but what is wrong with Chris Matthews? Why was he complaining?
It was so unnecessary.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 08:59 PM

10. I can't believe how tall Malia has gotten!!!

I'm an adult man and she's taller than me!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread