HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Prop 30 tax hikes pass in...

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 08:28 AM

Prop 30 tax hikes pass in California

Source: Politico

A $6 billion-a-year package of tax increases backed by Gov. Jerry Brown has passed in California, the Associated Press reported on Wednesday morning.

Brown has made the tax package, Prop 30, the centerpiece of his administration. It would raise the sales tax by a quarter of a cent for the next four years, and increase taxes on those making more than $250,000 for the next seven years. Brown argued the package of tax hikes was needed to prevent a devastating series of cuts to the state’s public schools and universities.

“I know a lot of people had some doubts and some questions: Can you really go to the people and ask them to vote for a tax?’” Brown said at a rally for supporters Tuesday night, according to the San Jose Mercury News. “Here we are. … We have a vote of the people, I think the only state in the country that says, ‘Let’s raise our taxes, for our kids for our schools, and for our California dream.”
Public employee unions strongly backed the tax measure, helping raise a large chunk of the $40 million spent to back the tax increase. A rival tax increase bill pushed by wealthy attorney Molly Munger was headed for an easy defeat, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83479.html#ixzz2BXjMrc00

14 replies, 2791 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Prop 30 tax hikes pass in California (Original post)
kpete Nov 2012 OP
Auggie Nov 2012 #1
cyclezealot Nov 2012 #13
Pachamama Nov 2012 #2
slackmaster Nov 2012 #3
bamacrat Nov 2012 #4
mountain grammy Nov 2012 #5
RussBLib Nov 2012 #6
donqpublic Nov 2012 #7
SCALA13 Nov 2012 #8
SCALA13 Nov 2012 #9
flamingdem Nov 2012 #10
YvonneCa Nov 2012 #12
alp227 Nov 2012 #11
MisterJones Nov 2012 #14

Response to kpete (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:21 AM

1. I am so proud of my state!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Auggie (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 08:33 AM

13. We are too.

We live overseas half of the time.. We'll be in Calif starting in January for quite some time..Along with other states in the East... We are so proud of California , we'll delay some planned shopping until we get there so the sales tax paid will go to Sacramento instead of elsewhere..

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:12 AM

2. Big Relief.....

Our schools live to see another day.....

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:24 AM

3. A small step but it won't be nearly enough to fix the underlying problem

The budget's assumptions about revenue over the next year will turn out to be woefully over-optimistic.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:27 AM

4. Wish the rest of the country was as rational. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:28 AM

5. I think this could pass in a national election.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:37 AM

6. This is more great news

California can finally start addressing their huge deficits.

There's good news in almost every quarter. Except, Texas elected Ted Cruz by 57-41%. I think with a better, stronger, more persuasive candidate than Paul Sadler, we can unseat John Cornyn in 2014.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:05 AM

7. My wife is a teacher here in CA

I repeatedly told her I thought this would not pass. This state is decidedly blue, but some past ballot measures have voted red. As an example, the Mormon church backed Prop 8 on marriage, thankfully voided in court.

I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I am. Not only 30 passed, but 39 and 40 as well. On top of that 32 and 33 failed. If only 37 had passed. I really wanted those douche bags at Stanford to suck it, but you can't have it all.

I officially apologized to the citizens of my adoptive state.

Reply to this post

Response to donqpublic (Reply #7)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:29 PM

8. Thanks from a native of this state.

Honestly when I was going to sleep last nite;the polls didnt look so promising.Now having just woke up,seeing the results right now have allowed me to sigh in relief since Im a college student.Unless Im California dreaming still.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:33 PM

9. Without a doubt this right now will define Browns governership;being how the stakes were high.

And the high speed rail too, I guess.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 01:11 PM

10. What a relief this passed, if not more pain for CA!

yay

Reply to this post

Response to flamingdem (Reply #10)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 01:42 PM

12. It just shows what solid, trusted Dem leadership...

...can do in a state as blue as California. I don't think Arnold could have passed the exact same bill.

I also think it's interesting to see how resoundingly Prop 38 was defeated. Supposedly it was for our schools too, but sponsored by big money interests like those who supported Meg Whitman.

CA voters are wising up, IMHO. And...while the two initiatives seemed similar...Prop 30 was a temporary sales tax on everyone AND raising PIT for people earning over $250,000yr while Prop 38 raised PIT on EVERYONE making over 7,800 yr. Brown was asking the more wealthy Californians to do their share (like President Obama) for public education. He, as a Dem, knows the previous cuts were enough of a sacrifice for the poor and middle class.

LOVE Jerry Brown!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 01:34 PM

11. I recently read an article in my community newspaper about local school cuts.

My old elementary school district had cut back library hours as well as janitorial services. Without prop 30 the next generation of children in my old school would lack the opportunity to learn research or discover new horizons in reading. It's devastating. Glad the people of California were not willing to sacrifice the California Dream just to spite the legislators. Now it's our turn, we need to hold our legislators accountable every single day to ensure our schools get the dollars they need. Flood their offices with emails, phone calls, and letters. Invite legislators to speak at local schools/other forums.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 08:48 AM

14. Bittersweet but necessary

As a center left democrat and resident of California, I am distressed that this action had to be taken but it was better than the alternative. People who make more than $250,000 need to remember the environment which helped to foster their success and pay their fair share. A higher sales tax makes sense as well. I think another solution would have been a vice tax on cigarettes, alcohol and gambling though I am unsure of the legality of such a tax.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread