HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » South Africa mine massacr...

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 06:03 AM

South Africa mine massacre photos prompt claims of official cover-up

Source: The Guardian

Police in South Africa have been accused of planting weapons on the bodies of dead miners as part of an official cover-up of the Marikana massacre, in August.

Damning photographic evidence was presented to an independent commission of inquiry examining the deaths of 46 people during nearly six weeks of violent strikes at the Lonmin-owned mine.

The revelation follows a series of media reports alleging that on the worst day of bloodshed, when 34 striking miners were killed, some were subjected to execution-style shootings away from the TV cameras.

Photographs taken by police on the night of 16 August showed more weapons by the bodies than photos taken immediately after massacre, the commission was told. The crime scene expert Captain Apollo Mohlaki, who took the night pictures, admitted the discrepancy.

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/06/south-africa-mine-massacre-marikana

2 replies, 1148 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply South Africa mine massacre photos prompt claims of official cover-up (Original post)
muriel_volestrangler Nov 2012 OP
ROBROX Nov 2012 #1
snot Nov 2012 #2

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:27 AM

1. RIGHT WING PLOT!!!

This did not look good in the news when it was happening and now the facts come out. When there were union strikes in the USA back in 1920-1930 there were similar incidents of police shooting protesters. It seems the goons always support big business versus those who they should be protecting.

Justice will be served and those who sinned will be punished.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:33 AM

2. The coverage of this situation, and paucity thereof, have been execrable.

I heard about it nowhere but the BBC, and the BBC's coverage consisted mainly in making excuses for the mining company, without a word as to why the miners were striking.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread