HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Missouri Republicans make...

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 01:59 AM

Missouri Republicans make gains, build veto-proof majority

Source: Kansas City Star

JEFFERSON CITY -- Republicans won a veto-proof supermajority in the Missouri House on Tuesday, picking up at least four seats and shrinking Democratic power in the state legislature to an historic low.

The new alignment will likely mean several bills that died thanks to Gov. Jay Nixon’s veto pen will get new life, most prominently one mandating voters show photo ID to cast a ballot and another making it more difficult to prove discrimination cases against former employers. Other issues that stalled because of Democratic opposition or threats of a veto by the governor, such as changes to the state’s labor laws, could also be back on the table.

Nixon, a Democrat, easily won re-election Tuesday.

“We’re going to sit down with our caucus, and any areas where we can work with the governor we certainly will,” said Rep. John Diehl, a Town and Country Republican who is expected to be chosen as House Majority Leader. “But we are going to take advantage of our new majority. Voters sent a pretty clear message tonight that the legislature is going to have a significant say over what happens in this state over the next couple years.”

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/07/3904280/missouri-legislature-stays-solidly.html

What are the recall laws in MO (if any)?

12 replies, 2523 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Missouri Republicans make gains, build veto-proof majority (Original post)
pstokely Nov 2012 OP
Arugula Latte Nov 2012 #1
rwsanders Nov 2012 #7
freebrew Nov 2012 #12
Robbins Nov 2012 #2
pstokely Nov 2012 #3
Catch2.2 Nov 2012 #4
PossumSqueezins Nov 2012 #5
66 dmhlt Nov 2012 #8
rwsanders Nov 2012 #10
Dustlawyer Nov 2012 #6
Zoeisright Nov 2012 #9
Hayabusa Nov 2012 #11

Response to pstokely (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:01 AM

1. Let's be honest. Missouri's suckage factor has grown immensely in recent years.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Arugula Latte (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:39 AM

7. Definitely, and here is another reason to avoid the state for visits (tourism big business here)...

Much of the tourism is outdoor. But honestly I'd avoid the rivers here and this is why. I used to work for MO Department of Natural Resources. They allow any developer to dig a hole in the ground, call it a sewage lagoon, the developer walks away and leaves it to the homeowners association. Years later it is found that it is deteriorating and discharging to "waters of the state". If that is not bad enough, very few of these are ever inspected. I was trying to get my group caught up to inspect all of them in a 5 year period. Well a 5 year cycle changed to a 7, then a 10 and even if I was still there I doubt if most would ever be inspected.
The problem is their convoluted enforcement system that is designed to make sure very few are ever prosecuted. I won't bore you with the details, but with all the follow up inspections, the more we tried to prosecute the fewer we could inspect. The other regions always made their numbers and my 2 most experienced inspectors believed they ignored problems or only inspected facilities that would pass.
This doesn't even take into account the failing septic systems (under a different state agency), that can't be inspected without a complaint from a witness that is willing to file a public complaint against their neighbor. Thus the problem with e-coli in the Lake of the Ozarks. I'm sure the same problem exists in any river or lake near homes.
Enjoy your next scenic Ozark canoe trip.

Reply to this post

Response to rwsanders (Reply #7)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:58 AM

12. Absolutely right..

I live here, near the lake, I worked for a guy that owned a restaurant, had no sewage system at all. Regularly sprayed chlordane in and out of the building and was never once cited or taken to court. I have personally witnessed him pumping raw sewage onto the field next to his restaurant.

Oh, and the e-coli problem has been blamed on the migrating geese! Even though the problem occurs only after the water reaches a bunch of condos.

The MO DNR is the most corrupt organization I have ever witnessed. The Conservation Commission reports to them.
Nightmares and no way to get any of them held responsible for their screw-ups.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:19 AM

2. Damn

Nixon will have less power even though he won easily.They can override his veto.

Reply to this post

Response to Robbins (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:22 AM

3. A lot of those Dems who lost were probably the ones that joined with the Repukes

to override vetos, the party needs rebuilding in many parts of the state

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:38 AM

4. It's sad but...

These GOP states will fail (Unfortunately for their citizens) and eventually/hopefully they'll wise up and understand a vote for a republican is a vote against their own best interests.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:55 AM

5. THIS IS A GOOD THING

They will go crazy and pass crazy shit. And voters will vote them out of office.

Reply to this post

Response to PossumSqueezins (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:49 AM

8. I do NOT think this is a good this at all!

I live in the KCMO Metro, and I think it's TERRIBLE anytime peoples' rights are trampled on - short or long term.

Reply to this post

Response to 66 dmhlt (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:23 AM

10. Hey, we're neighbors!!

But how do we cure the arrogance and self-centeredness of the new right and the tea party?
Think of the "You didn't build it" controversy, most of their justification for having more than someone else is that they "earned" it and don't care for anyone else. For some reason they have forgotten the contributions of those that came before and those that are around them.
I wish someone would create a reality show called "Republican Land". Have someone live somewhere, where all of their ideas are carried to their logical conclusion. From a logic standpoint I used to decribe this as instead of opposing someone pushing along their shopping cart of stupid ideas, you come along side them and help push until the cart goes over the cliff.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 08:00 AM

6. Wait til they experience life like we do in Tx. If you want to see what Repugs do when they run

things, look no further than us. 1st in teen pregnancy, 1st in minimum wage jobs, a huge budget deficit, rampant cronyism, low caps on damages, medical malpractice next to impossible... We have no rights!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:10 AM

9. I guess the misery in Missouri will continue.

and I don't really care. They get what they deserve.

Reply to this post

Response to Zoeisright (Reply #9)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:35 AM

11. So, my family,

who all voted straight Democrat yesterday, deserve what will eventually get?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread