HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » In crucial Ohio, conserva...

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 03:08 PM

In crucial Ohio, conservatives are an unruly force for Romney

Source: Reuters

(Reuters) - When Ohio voter Paul Presta opened his door to two election canvassers one recent Saturday he interrupted them in mid-sentence and asked Jim Lewis about an issue close to his heart.

"Do you support the second amendment?" he asked, referring to the U.S. constitutional right to bear arms, and pointed at Lewis.

Lewis grinned and lifted up his shirt slightly to give a glimpse of a Glock 9mm pistol tucked into his belt, for which he has a concealed carry permit.

Presta, 72, a semi-retired businessman, instantly relaxed, cheerfully telling them he had already voted for Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/31/us-usa-campaign-conservatives-ground-idUSBRE89U1CN20121031

Quite an article. I hope we have as many boots in Ohio as the Teabaggers do.

21 replies, 5851 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply In crucial Ohio, conservatives are an unruly force for Romney (Original post)
NeoConsSuck Oct 2012 OP
daybranch Oct 2012 #1
Cha Nov 2012 #19
leftyohiolib Oct 2012 #2
JBoy Oct 2012 #3
NHDEMFORLIFE Oct 2012 #8
Kolesar Oct 2012 #4
BlueNoteSpecial Oct 2012 #5
johnlucas Oct 2012 #15
BlueNoteSpecial Oct 2012 #16
fozzieferocious Oct 2012 #6
NeoConsSuck Oct 2012 #9
onehandle Oct 2012 #7
slackmaster Oct 2012 #10
littlemissmartypants Oct 2012 #11
llmart Oct 2012 #14
JohnnyRingo Oct 2012 #12
mountain grammy Oct 2012 #13
MrModerate Nov 2012 #18
backstory Nov 2012 #20
uppityperson Nov 2012 #21
Anthony McCarthy Oct 2012 #17

Response to NeoConsSuck (Original post)

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 03:20 PM

1. many, many more

teabaggers have ben very quiet in Ohio for a while now. They pretty much stick to West Chester and rural areas. We welcome them if they would like to come to Dayton. The appalachian democrats have guns too and probably a lot more experience at using them. Plus we have a large African American group that they may not like.
But we democrats are not so afraid that we have to carry guns as we canvass. It is the chicken shit repugnants who are so afraid of their neighbors being allowed to vote and then voting for a good black man.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to daybranch (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 1, 2012, 06:07 AM

19. That sounds encouraging to me, daybranch

thank you.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 03:26 PM

2. people like him are what the unregistered weapons are for

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 03:27 PM

3. Well, nothing makes me relax more than seeing someone flash a previously hidden 9mm pistol.

Reply to this post

Response to JBoy (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:10 PM

8. He had little else to flash n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 03:53 PM

4. Lewis is such a chicken wussie that he has to carry a pistol

Why TF did he go walk in *that* dangerous neighborhood if he was afraid of "crime"? Could he not refuse? Is he under a spell from Grover Norquist?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 03:55 PM

5. Unruly farce is more like it...

...here in Clark Co., I've watched these Limbauciles flip so many times, especially during the r* primary, that I just point and bust out laughing when I see them...pisses 'em off to no end, and they never have anything to say. They're a loose, disjointed, disfunctional cabal of frightened, overindulged spoiled brats that have grown to be...frightened overindulged spoiled brats. They don't have the cajones to walk down my street, here on the east side, which only 10 years ago was virtually all caucasian, and is now multi-cultural, and I like it. I walk it daily, greeting all of my neighbors with no apprehension or fear. The unruly farce nuggets won't dare venture into Dayton, Col., Cle., Tol., et. al., spewing their garbage, no matter how much heat they may pack. To the white, to the black, to the red, the brown, the purple & yellow...I say bang bang the boogie, said up jump the boogie, and see y'all again tomorrow. These are my peeps, I'm a snowflake, in my mid 50's, they don't care....and neither do I. We've GOT this, Yo!!!

Reply to this post

Response to BlueNoteSpecial (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 08:29 PM

15. Ah, Voter's Delight!

I said a hip hop,
The hippie to the hippie
The hip hip a hop, and you don't stop, a rock it
To the bang bang boogie, say up jump the boogie,
To the rhythm of the boogie, the beat.

A Skiddleebebop, we rock, scooby doo,
And guess what, America, we love you
'Cos you rocked and a rolled with so much soul,
You could rock 'til a hundred and one years old.
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast,
But we like hot butter on our breakfast toast
Rock it up, Baby Bubba!
Baby Bubba to the boogie da bang bang da boogie
To the beat, beat, it's so unique
Come on everybody and dance to the beat!

John Lucas

Reply to this post

Response to johnlucas (Reply #15)

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 08:53 PM

16. Good One, johnlucas!!!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 03:56 PM

6. Uhg

Among the voters Lewis and Becker encounter is Scott Whitt, 46, a truck driver who says upfront: "I'm undecided."

Friendly yet focused, they ask Whitt targeted questions about the U.S. debt, Obama's health reforms and the economy.

"Do you believe the government should take over health care?" Becker asks. "Are you better off now than in 2008?"

Whitt says government involvement in health care "doesn't sound good" and while he is "not doing badly" he worries about those without jobs.

After 10 minutes, Whitt is no longer undecided.

"I'm going to vote for Romney. He has the business experience we need," Whitt said.

fucking idiot. I would love for these dumbasses to come knock on my door. I guarantee you I would crush them and their stockholm-syndromed gray matter with genuine facts and statistics. No pathetic 9mm glock needed.

Reply to this post

Response to fozzieferocious (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:17 PM

9. That's the part that got me...

these people are so pliable. Talk to them for 10 minutes, and they're instant Romney-ites. But if my hunch is correct, they were undecided due to apathy, and that apathy will cause them to sit on their couch on election night, pop a cold one, and put on the TeeVee, and not even vote.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:01 PM

7. Gun Maniacs for Romney. Of course. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:26 PM

10. The word "unruly" made me think of the food fight scene in Animal House

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:32 PM

11. What the article fails to mention is that it took

a crane to lift up his muffin top so the weapon could be seen...

Reply to this post

Response to littlemissmartypants (Reply #11)

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 06:40 PM

14. Tee hee

You are probably right.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 05:43 PM

12. Guns should not be a partisan issue.

I'm a staunch democrat, and like so many other dems, I have several guns.

It's the GOP in conjunction with the NRA that is trying to drive a 2nd amendment wedge between the parties. They are doing this because they know how many gun owners there are in this country.

If the NRA can successfully make the case that Democrats want to snatch our guns and the Repubs want to protect the right, we'll soon have a GOP majority in every branch of government. Key to this is the NRA leadership under Wayne LaPierre. While the NRA under Heston was strictly a gun advocacy PAC, the NRA has morphed into an arm of the Republican party.

Proof of this shift can be seen in Ohio politics. In 2010 the NRA endorsed John Kasich over Ted Strickland for governor. Both men served in the House of Representatives at the same time during the '90s. While Strckland, who holds a four star rating from the Buckeye Gun Owners Assn, voted against the cosmetic assault rifle ban, his Republican counterpart not only voted for it, he helped write the bill. The NRA endorsed Kasich nonetheless based solely on the "R" by his name.

I unfortunately has a few friends who are single issue voters and cast their ballots based only on what the NRA says.

Reply to this post

Response to JohnnyRingo (Reply #12)

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 06:13 PM

13. The NRA has morphed into a racist and dangerous hate organization.

They have their claws into many issues that have nothing to do with guns.

Reply to this post

Response to JohnnyRingo (Reply #12)

Thu Nov 1, 2012, 05:03 AM

18. Sadly . . .

The Republican Party has morphed into an arm of the NRA.

And not to knock Heston, who was an OK actor if not an especially good person, the mutation of the NRA was well underway when he was their spokesman.

I'm a former NRA member myself, from years and years ago, when they were concerned primarily with training people to hunt safely. This was before their copshow fantasy of needing to pack heat when you go down to the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk had warped all their minds.

Reply to this post

Response to MrModerate (Reply #18)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:05 AM

20. looking for former NRA members for radio show

MrModerate, and anyone else in the same boat--

The radio program I work for is doing a show on the history of guns in America, and we're working on a segment about the Cincinnati Revolt in 1977. We're looking for anyone who was a member pre-1977 and left the organization when its focus changed -- which sounds like you, maybe. If it is, or if you can point me in the right direction, would you drop me a line at our website or backstory@virginia.edu? Thanks!

Reply to this post

Response to backstory (Reply #20)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 01:02 PM

21. Good morning and welcome. DU has a "gun control, rkba" forum that might be more appropriate for your

post. It is considered bad form to post requests in random threads. I bet you'd get takers if you posted there rather than hoping people would read through threads like this and respond. Here is the link:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=forum&id=1172

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2012, 09:29 PM

17. I also guess that many of those who are undecided

at this point are less likely to vote. If they don't have enough knowledge of the two candidates at this date they can't have been paying attention. I suspect a lot of them won't vote. Which is probably not a bad thing.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread