HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » New England shapes up as ...

Sun Oct 28, 2012, 01:44 PM

New England shapes up as Dem firewall for Senate

Source: AP

BY ANDREW MIGA

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democrats are counting on their New England friends to help them pick up Senate seats and construct a barrier against losses in Nebraska and elsewhere that could erase their majority.

The National Republican Senatorial Committee has stopped spending money in Maine, where former Gov. Angus King, an independent, leads in the polls. King is seen as likely to side with Democrats if he wins.

In Massachusetts, Republican Sen. Scott Brown is suddenly considered the underdog against Elizabeth Warren. Republican hopes of swiping the seat in Connecticut are fading.

The loss of two seats in New England complicates the GOP calculation for majority control. Republicans would have to gain a net of six seats, five seats if Mitt Romney wins the presidency. Democrats currently have the edge, 53-47,

-30-

Read more: http://www.salon.com/2012/10/28/new_england_shapes_up_as_dem_firewall_for_senate/

10 replies, 2471 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sun Oct 28, 2012, 04:41 PM

1. Now all we have to do is get rid of our teabagger governor

New England is a great place to live.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mainer (Reply #1)

Sun Oct 28, 2012, 05:35 PM

2. Yup. Check out the Letter To The Editor I have just had PUBLISHED:

In 2010 Paul LePage ran on a message of “jobs jobs jobs” and won with a plurality of 38% of the vote in a multi-candidate race. What we have received from Mr. LePage and his Republican allies in the legislature are many things that a large majority of Mainers did not ask for, do not want, and have nothing to do with “jobs jobs jobs”. What we got was a huge bait-and-switch as Mr. LePage removed the labor history murals for no good reason, told the Maine NAACP to kiss his you-know-what, told us that “women might grow little beards” as he would allow greater exposure to toxic chemicals, and tried to remove our long tradition of same-day voter registration (soundly defeated by a People’s Veto). He gave tax cuts to the wealthiest while cutting essential programs for children such as HeadStart and others for the poor, the elderly, the sick, and the infirm. His health insurance bill is a boon for the insurance companies and has raised costs especially for those in rural areas. He wants to pass a needless voter-suppression ID law, make us a right-to-work-for-less state, give our public school dollars to private schools, and roll back women’s choice rights. Contrary to his own “jobs jobs jobs” mantra, he refuses to accept job-creating infrastructure bonds with excellent matching funds and low interest rates. And all the while he has acted like a schoolyard bully with a my-way-or-the-highway attitude trying to pit Mainer against Mainer. His rants comparing a government agency to the Gestapo and saying that Maine students are looked down upon all over the nation are simply awful and inexcusable. And we must ask, where are all the promised “jobs jobs jobs”? While other states are growing jobs, Maine is stagnant.

All of this is unacceptable, not what most Mainers voted for in 2010, and does not reflect Maine values. What it does reflect is an agenda out of the playbook of national organizations such as ALEC and the Heritage Foundation which spend millions of dollars supporting people like Mr. LePage who will carbon-copy their extreme right-wing policies and then try to foist them on the citizens of their states.

This election cycle we can do something about it by voting for Democrats and saying no to the Republicans in the legislature who rubber-stamp the LePage agenda. We need to place a serious check-and-balance on Paul LePage, his divisive and extreme agenda, and his bombastic approach to governing which do not reflect our values here in Maine.

Reply to this post

Response to RBInMaine (Reply #2)

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 05:25 AM

7. Excellent letter!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 28, 2012, 05:36 PM

3. Yup, BROWN in MA, MCMAHON in CT, and SUMMERS in Maine are all GOING DOWN !! YAHOO !

Reply to this post

Response to RBInMaine (Reply #3)

Sun Oct 28, 2012, 11:06 PM

5. Yahoo, indeed! n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 28, 2012, 08:41 PM

4. I cannot wait to stop seeing Linda McMahon's ads all over my tv.

She tried twice now to buy a Senate seat. Enough. Happy to see the polls going Chris Murphy's way now. And Elizabeth Warren and Angus King look good in the polling too.

New England truly is a great place. Can't imagine ever leaving.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 12:03 AM

6. Gay marriage, heath insurance reforms, abolishing slavery, legalizing trade unions,

Public education, starting the Revolution... We do all the heavy lifting.

You're welcome!

Uh... Sorry about Romney, the fucker lied to us when he ran for office.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #6)

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:46 AM

8. thanks for the link,i had forgotten about avery ,my library is much improved

i think these are forerunner of the birch society and its descendents the tea party ,alec and Corporate greed.this is truly the new gilded age, at least,you warned us.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:49 AM

9. You're welcome.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 09:33 AM

10. Big Dog is heading to Fargo, where Heidi is about to unseat Sen Rick Berg (R)

In one of the reddest states for Presidential voting, you just can't defeat a really nice woman if you are a 1%'er and a complete tool of the rich and an obstructionist. Berg thought he could get away with anything, including ignoring his constituents. WRONG. Along comes Heidi and her Hot Dish socials, Garrison Keiler, and now, the Big Dog himself.

Bill Clinton to rally support for Heitkamp in Fargo on Monday
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/248087/group/homepage/

The event will be free and open to the public.

“President Clinton knows how important it is to elect individuals who put partisanship aside and fight for the middle class. I am proud to have his support,” said Heitkamp.

Heitkamp served as North Dakota’s attorney general while Clinton was president.

“When President Clinton was in office, we had a budget surplus and were on track to pay off our federal debt. I am running for the Senate to help get our fiscal house back in order,” Heitkamp said in the release.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread