HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Suspected Terrorist Arres...

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 03:41 PM

Suspected Terrorist Arrested for Alleged Plot to Attack Federal Reserve in NYC

Source: NBC News

NBC 4 New York has learned that federal authorities have arrested a man they say was plotting to attack the Federal Reserve building in Lower Manhattan, just blocks from the World Trade Center site.

The man is in custody in New York. Sources tell NBC 4 New York that the suspect lives in Jamaica, Queens and was arrested Wednesday morning after he drove a van that he believed to be loaded with explosives from Long Island to Lower Manhattan. The man left the van near the Federal Reserve building and was then arrested by the FBI and NYPD.

Law enforcement officials stress that the plot was a sting operation monitored by the FBI and NYPD and the public was never at risk. The "explosives" in the van were inert, officials said.

Sources say the suspect was acting alone in the plot against the Fed, which is located at 33 Liberty St., three and 1/2 blocks from ground zero.

Read more: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Federal-Reserve-Bank-Plot-NYC-Terror--174628031.html?sdrq354\

7 replies, 1916 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Suspected Terrorist Arrested for Alleged Plot to Attack Federal Reserve in NYC (Original post)
Bosonic Oct 2012 OP
Live and Learn Oct 2012 #1
Kindly Refrain Oct 2012 #2
dipsydoodle Oct 2012 #3
Ash_F Oct 2012 #5
dixiegrrrrl Oct 2012 #6
harmonicon Oct 2012 #7
mainstreetonce Oct 2012 #4

Response to Bosonic (Original post)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 03:45 PM

1. Wonder if Faux News will be commenting on how Obama stops another terrorist attack? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 03:50 PM

2. Sting operation means they set the whole thing up

Bought the "terrorist" explosives and gave him a credit card.

Reply to this post

Response to Kindly Refrain (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 04:15 PM

3. Can't say I've understood the point

of these sting operations reaching fruition other than for publicity.

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 04:51 PM

5. Because there is pretty much no way to catch real attackers in the planning stage.

And these agencies need to justify their existence with "results" lest they lose their jobs.

It happened to air marshals pre-9/11. There were a number hired as a response to the hijackings of the 70s, then congress drastically cut their numbers during the Reagan era with the main argument being that they were making so few arrests. Then 9/11 happened and there was no air marshall to stop a handful of men with box cutters on any of those planes. Immediately afterwards, the government increased their numbers many thousand-fold. But a give it couple decades without significant arrests and you can bet they'll get cut again.

I guess the FBI has been around long enough to know the game and how to avoid the same fate.

Reply to this post

Response to Ash_F (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 07:01 PM

6. So maybe TSA will wilt away soon?

They have been accused of stealing from passengers many more times than for actually catching any would be terrorists.

Reply to this post

Response to Kindly Refrain (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 09:32 PM

7. Yeah, some terrorism.

Know something? I just saved you from having your house burgled. Know how? I didn't burgle it. Give me a fucking award.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 04:29 PM

4. Make sure Obama

calls this attempted terrorism before Romney uses it as campaign fodder.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread