HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » New Mexico licenses won't...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 07:44 PM

New Mexico licenses won't work in airports under federal law: governor

Source: Reuters

New Mexico's policy of granting driver's licenses to illegal immigrants will violate a federal law taking effect in January, meaning residents won't be able to use their licenses as ID to board airplanes, the state's governor says.

"It's deeply concerning that New Mexicans who work at our labs, get on an airplane, or need to show identification at any other federal facility will no longer be able to use their driver's license to do so," New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez said in a statement.

States have until Monday to tell the federal government whether they plan to comply with the federal Real ID Act, which is scheduled to go into effect January 15 after several delays in implementation since it was passed in 2005. The law creates national standards for the issuance of state driver's licenses and identification cards.

... Peter Simonson, executive director of the New Mexico chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, called Martinez's letter a "scare tactic meant to advance her agenda of dismantling New Mexico's driver's license law."

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/12/us-usa-newmexico-licenses-idUSBRE89B1E520121012

19 replies, 3901 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Mexico licenses won't work in airports under federal law: governor (Original post)
Newsjock Oct 2012 OP
CurtEastPoint Oct 2012 #1
Igel Oct 2012 #5
keopeli Oct 2012 #2
freshwest Oct 2012 #10
Skittles Oct 2012 #3
bemildred Oct 2012 #4
PavePusher Oct 2012 #6
Lars39 Oct 2012 #7
PavePusher Oct 2012 #8
Lars39 Oct 2012 #9
PavePusher Oct 2012 #13
Lars39 Oct 2012 #16
treestar Oct 2012 #12
PavePusher Oct 2012 #14
treestar Oct 2012 #18
PavePusher Oct 2012 #19
treestar Oct 2012 #11
PavePusher Oct 2012 #15
treestar Oct 2012 #17

Response to Newsjock (Original post)

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 07:52 PM

1. So we have "national standards for the issuance of state driver's licenses and identification cards"

but no national standards for voting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CurtEastPoint (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 13, 2012, 11:33 AM

5. Not entirely true.

We have national standards for whether or not a federal agency will accept a drivers license as proof of citizenship/residency. States can do whatever they want for their DLs. Nothing requires that the feds accept DLs as proof of citizenship/residency for federal purposes.

We also have some national standards for voting. For instance, NY had to trash its lever machines because they didn't meet national standards. Optical scanners, e-Slate, and some other electronic standards do.

In the case of truly egregious voting practices, though, since voting is ultimately a political matter there's a political solution--not having state-level election results for national office accepted at the federal level. Electors aren't seated, the House and Senate can reject a member. Not that this is likely to happen this time round or the next couple of times.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 08:50 PM

2. This is so silly. So, I am at ATL airport and they say, "You're from NM? Sorry, you're not a US citi

Citizen, you can't fly.

Riiiight.

Most certainly a scare tactic from our well-to-do governor.

Reply to this post

Response to keopeli (Reply #2)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 01:41 PM

10. GOP, is she?

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 13, 2012, 04:51 AM

3. bullshit

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 13, 2012, 06:29 AM

4. Airlines and airports and the TSA can all go screw themselves.

I will never fly again exceept under duress.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 13, 2012, 03:45 PM

6. I still don't understand why an illegal immigrant is entitled to any government priviliges.

I've traveled all over the world. If I'd ever been caught entering any other country illegally, I really don't think I'd be able to get a driver's licence there.

Reply to this post

Response to PavePusher (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 13, 2012, 04:10 PM

7. Because it keeps society a safer place.

Who would you rather have driving on our roads, a person who has no idea of our driving laws and safety issues, or someone who had to learn our driving laws and how to drive safely?

Reply to this post

Response to Lars39 (Reply #7)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 12:17 PM

8. Maybe I was too subtle, but you entirely missed the larger point.

Let's deal with the illegal immigration problem,then the drivers licence problem/debate won't even be an issue.

Reply to this post

Response to PavePusher (Reply #8)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 01:35 PM

9. Since there will always be illegal immigrants, I'd rather they know how to drive safely.

Reply to this post

Response to Lars39 (Reply #9)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 02:01 PM

13. Or... we could simply detain them when they show up at the DMV.

Again... why give them priviliges instead of dealing with the basic problem?

Reply to this post

Response to PavePusher (Reply #13)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 03:18 PM

16. You detain them when they show at the DMV and and you will get zip after the

Initial token arrests, and then you are back to square one with people who are here illegally not knowing how to drive safely on our roads.

Reply to this post

Response to PavePusher (Reply #6)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 01:52 PM

12. Flying isn't a government privilege

Whatever that is. It is a matter of identity and not letting terrorists on board. Terrorists could be citizens or legal aliens (like most of the hijackers)

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #12)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 02:03 PM

14. Quite true.

But why not also screen out the people here illegally? They "could be" many other things in addition to simply being here in violation of our laws.

Reply to this post

Response to PavePusher (Reply #14)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 04:36 PM

18. Because that would turn the airline into a border patrol agent

And they'd have to be trained in determining who was here legally or not. And legal tourists would not have driver's licenses - just passports of their countries.

Illegals are not worth worrying that much about. Where else would you have them screened for? Libraries? Supermarkets?

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #18)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 06:14 PM

19. It's not the airlines doing the screening.

Unless you are proposing doing away with the TSA (I'd endorse that) and making airlines responsible for their own security (I'd endorse that as well, but they'd have to be liable for any criminal action that takes place on their planes). But that's a subject for a different discussion.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 01:51 PM

11. Could an illegal immigrant fly with a passport

from his own country? If the idea is identity, that should be sufficient. What do we are if illegal aliens fly? Terrorists could be citizens. Most of the 911 hijackers were legally in the US. So this stuff has never really made any sense.

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #11)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 02:05 PM

15. If they are here illegally, they would be missing the appropriate entry stamps/visa/paperwork.

Fairly simple to catch.

Reply to this post

Response to PavePusher (Reply #15)

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 04:34 PM

17. They can have a passport that identifies them

From their country. The airlines has to time to check visas and we certainly don't have time to have the border patrol checking every person who boards a domestic aircraft. The identity is all they need.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread