HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » (Jay Rockefeller, D-WV) S...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 06:26 PM

(Jay Rockefeller, D-WV) Senator Opens Investigation of Data Brokers

Source: NYT

The multibillion-dollar data brokerage industry, a growing force in online marketing, is drawing intensified government scrutiny.

On Wednesday, Senator John D. Rockefeller IV, Democrat of West Virginia, opened an extensive investigation of nine leading information brokers. Because Americans now conduct much of their daily business online, the senator said he was concerned that “an unprecedented amount” of personal, medical and financial information about people could be collected, mined and sold, to the potential detriment of consumers.

“An ever-increasing percentage of their lives will be available for download, and the digital footprint they will inevitably leave behind will become more specific and potentially damaging, if used improperly,” Mr. Rockefeller, who is the chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, wrote in letters to the data brokers. “It is critical that we understand what information companies like yours are already collecting and selling.”

Linda A. Woolley, the acting chief executive of the Direct Marketing Association, a trade group, called the senator’s investigation “a baseless fishing expedition.”

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/technology/senator-opens-investigation-of-data-brokers.html

2 replies, 1562 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply (Jay Rockefeller, D-WV) Senator Opens Investigation of Data Brokers (Original post)
alp227 Oct 2012 OP
KoKo Oct 2012 #1
JackRiddler Oct 2012 #2

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:28 PM

1. sigh...having watched Jay Rockefeller "Pipe Up" occasionally in my over 11 yrs. here on DU..

I'm not holding my breath.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to KoKo (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 11:33 PM

2. Didn't he stop the Iraq war and get Bush bounced out of office?

I seem to remember something like that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread