HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » (Sheriff convicted of cri...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:40 PM

(Sheriff convicted of crime) Ross Mirkarimi to keep job, supes decide

Source: SF Chronicle

In a shocking end to the melodrama that has consumed San Francisco City Hall for the past nine months, the Board of Supervisors bucked Mayor Ed Lee late Tuesday night by giving suspended Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi his job back.

Four members of the board rejected Lee's call that Mirkarimi be permanently removed for committing official misconduct, an allegation that stemmed from a New Year's Eve fight with his wife for which he later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of false imprisonment.

Lee needed nine of the 11 supervisors' votes to oust Mirkarimi. Supervisors John Avalos, David Campos, Jane Kim and - in a major blow to Lee - the mayor's appointee, Christina Olague, voted to reinstate Mirkarimi.

As soon as the vote became official, the crowd of Mirkarimi supporters in City Hall burst into whoops, cheers and applause. Domestic violence victims advocates looked downcast and made a beeline for the exit.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Ross-Mirkarimi-to-get-sheriff-s-job-back-3934169.php

5 replies, 1377 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply (Sheriff convicted of crime) Ross Mirkarimi to keep job, supes decide (Original post)
alp227 Oct 2012 OP
Comrade Grumpy Oct 2012 #1
Hell Hath No Fury Oct 2012 #2
KamaAina Oct 2012 #3
DollarBillHines Oct 2012 #4
Blue_Tires Oct 2012 #5

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:53 PM

1. Good. I hope Ed Lee's vendetta is over now.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:57 PM

2. I detest Ed Lee --

but I don't think this was the right move. Our Sheriff cannot be involved with this sort of conduct.

Reply to this post

Response to Hell Hath No Fury (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 01:01 PM

3. As reprehensible as his conduct was,

it can't be considered "official misconduct" because it took place on New Year's Eve, nine days before he was actually sworn in as sheriff. A technicality? Sure -- but how far back are you going to go? What if he'd stolen a Chunky bar when he was ten?

edit: More nitpicking: He was not "convicted" but pled guilty; hence, there was no tria. What a fiasco that would have been!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 01:23 PM

4. Didn't he plead guilty...

to getting drunk on New Years Eve and grabbing her arm?

Ed Lee is a show-boater.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 01:33 PM

5. I agree, but to be fair there was no "real" legal mechanism to to remove him

Lee's move was really a stretch...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread