HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Italian government sacks ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 03:07 AM

Italian government sacks entire Reggio Calabria council over 'mafia ties'

Source: BBC

The entire council of the city of Reggio Calabria in southern Italy has been sacked to stop it from being taken over by the mafia, officials say.

The move came after some councillors were suspected of having ties to the powerful 'Ndrangheta crime syndicate. Officials said it was the first time that the entire government of a provincial capital had been dismissed over suspected mafia links.

Three commissioners will run the city for 18 months until the next elections.

Mayor Demetrio Arena and all 30 city councillors were sacked to prevent any "mafia contagion" in the local government, Interior Minister Annamaria Cancellieri said.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19886631

6 replies, 1986 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Italian government sacks entire Reggio Calabria council over 'mafia ties' (Original post)
T_i_B Oct 2012 OP
MADem Oct 2012 #1
a la izquierda Oct 2012 #2
JustAnotherGen Oct 2012 #3
JustAnotherGen Oct 2012 #4
al bupp Oct 2012 #5
WilmywoodNCparalegal Oct 2012 #6

Response to T_i_B (Original post)

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 03:20 AM

1. Bravo! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 06:44 AM

2. Ahhh good...

This is where my great-grandpa hailed from.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 06:57 AM

3. My husband is from Acri

Many of his family live in this area- we were there for several weeks in August.

This changes nothing. They will just be replaced by the VOTERS/ The People with another set of Ndrangheta disciples. As my husband says - organized crime, the Vatican, the Government - really a Mafia is a Mafia by any other name.

In the meantime - hospitals are being shutdown in the mountains by ROME.

I suspect there's more to this dismissal - like saaaay - Ndrangheta ties or not - they were representing the wishes and the interests of the poorest region of the mainland and telling Rome to go f*ck themselves - don't throw our elderly and children under the bus.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 09:54 AM

4. A bit more info

"This decision to dissolve the municipal council is not due to instability, but due to continguity with circles that could cause problems ." Until an election can be organized, the city will be run by three commissioners who have an 18 month mandate to clean house as needed. In the meantime, don't be afraid to visit. It really is a pretty town!

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/10/italian-town-fires-entire-government-over-mafia-connections/57794/

Trying to get my citizenship via marriage - this is a good reference the Italian Consulate directed me to:
http://www.understandingitaly.com/profile-content/government.html
Unlike the British and American system, where votes are cast for individual candidates, the Italian voting system is based on a 'Party List' system, where each party's candidates are ranked in order of priority. If a party wins 10 seats, for example, then the first 10 candidates on their list are selected and take their seats in Parliament.

Coalitions are actively encouraged by the system. In forming a coalition to fight an election, individual parties must sign up to a coalition document and agree to support a single, nominated leader.

My husband had a great analogy - It's June 21st 2013 and Romney won the election. Under suspicion (note beyond BBC - the media are reporting "because they MIGHT all be") that Monroe County NY - of which the county seat is Rochester (3rd largest city in Democratic/Blue NY State) - ALL of their Government Officials from the Sherrif to the School Board are being 'fired' by the Romney Administration because they might in some way, shape or form have had contact with Leonard Falzone (crime boss located up in Buffalo NY for a time being).

And then wonder why during Acri's Music Festival in August - some 20 somethings go arrested for 'tearing down' EU Flags hanging in their town.

Something smells rotten in Rome. Something smells really really rotten. . .

Spending cuts in the budget released today: http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/english/2012/10/10/Unions-give-mixed-reaction-Italian-budget_7608222.html

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 02:04 PM

5. They were "Cancellieri-ed"

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2012, 02:22 PM

6. Finalmente...

The corruption in many southern Italian regions is legendary. Honest working people have been prisoners of organized crime for too long.

Italians contribute regularly a lot of the budget to develop the Mezzogiorno (the southern regions) with billions of euros, which mostly disappear in the pockets of the Mafia, camorra and 'ndrangheta.

It doesn't help that Berlusconi had power for so long - he has been accused of having organized crime ties for a long time.

The region of Lazio (of which Rome is its seat) also had upheavals related to corruption, though in this case all the people involved happened to be in Berlusconi's same party, Pdl.

Sorry to the previous poster who writes that Rome is behind this as the 'Ndrangheta really protects the oppressed... but that's absolutely not true. Businesses from large to small pay money so that the 'Ndrangheta (and other types) won't firebomb their stores... It's called 'la mazzetta' - a monthly payment under the table for 'protection.' They couldn't care less about the poor and the workers.

They - and the Catholic church to which they are beholden - try to keep for themselves the fruits of the labor of others while surrounding themselves with the piety of local priests and fake bishops, proudly waving their religion to coddle the ignorant while making millions for themselves. They are Italy's version of the GOP and Tea Party idiots.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread