HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Golden Dawn party Greek ...

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 09:51 AM

Golden Dawn party Greek anti-fascist protesters 'tortured by police'

Last edited Tue Oct 9, 2012, 10:28 AM - Edit history (1)

Source: Guardian

Fifteen anti-fascist protesters arrested in Athens during a clash with supporters of the neo-Nazi party Golden Dawn have said they were tortured in the Attica General Police Directorate (GADA) – the Athens equivalent of Scotland Yard – and subjected to what their lawyer describes as an Abu Ghraib-style humiliation.

Members of a second group of 25 who were arrested after demonstrating in support of their fellow anti-fascists the next day said they were beaten and made to strip naked and bend over in front of officers and other protesters inside the same police station.

Several of the protesters arrested after the first demonstration on Sunday 30 September told the Guardian they were slapped and hit by a police officer while five or six others watched, were spat on and "used as ashtrays" because they "stank", and were kept awake all night with torches and lasers being shone in their eyes.

Some said they were burned on the arms with a cigarette lighter, and they said police officers videoed them on their mobile phones and threatened to post the pictures on the internet and give their home addresses to Golden Dawn, which has a track record of political violence.

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/09/greek-antifascist-protesters-torture-police?intcmp=239

Edit to add: not necessarily LBN, GD post: http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021499079

11 replies, 2606 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Golden Dawn party Greek anti-fascist protesters 'tortured by police' (Original post)
tama Oct 2012 OP
davidpdx Oct 2012 #1
slackmaster Oct 2012 #2
pampango Oct 2012 #3
tama Oct 2012 #5
RitchieRich Oct 2012 #4
tama Oct 2012 #6
RitchieRich Oct 2012 #7
starroute Oct 2012 #8
tama Oct 2012 #9
tama Oct 2012 #11
AntiFascist Oct 2012 #10

Response to tama (Original post)

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 10:06 AM

1. Fear and loathing in Greece

They are a country with many problems.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 10:13 AM

2. It's good to see that poor headline writing is not confined to US new organizations

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 10:39 AM

3. Athens anti-fascist motorcades: “Until the police protect immigrants, we'll do it ourselves”

Over the past few months, as Greece has sunk deeper into crisis, racist attacks against immigrants have risen sharply. Unsatisfied with the police’s response to this violence, residents of Athens have taken to patrolling a neighbourhood where thugs are known to beat up immigrants and cause damage to their shops.

They call themselves “anti-fascists”. Their sworn enemy: Golden Dawn and its sympathisers. The far-right party, once considered to be on the fringe, has surged in popularity since winning an electoral foothold in parliament in June. Golden Dawn’s sworn enemy, meanwhile, is illegal immigrants, which they blame for the country’s economic woes. Just last month, one of the party’s leading lawmakers led a group of his men into a street market, where they demanded to see permits from any vendor who looked foreign. They even destroyed one of the stalls and scattered the merchandise. Vendors at the market said police stood by and watched.

&feature=player_embedded

After several such incidents, the government scrapped the police protection that Golden Dawn lawmakers had enjoyed since their election, as all lawmakers do in Greece. However, many human rights groups now accuse the police of looking the other way and even discouraging victims of violence from filing complaints. Sometimes, as an amateur video filmed earlier this year shows, police officers have even participated in violence against immigrants.

http://observers.france24.com/content/20121008-athens-anti-fascist-motorcades-police-immigrants-greece-golden-dawn-far-right-extremists-video-arrested-jail

Of all the sources of Greece's economic and social problems illegal immigrants are way down the list. For the far-right, though, immigrants are more accesible and identifiable racially so blaming them is a viable political strategy.

The police in Athens recently rounded up hundreds of people of color only to find out that 80% of them are legal immigrants. Something tells me that Golden Dawn doesn't really care whether someone has legal papers or not.

Racists are racists. The presence or absence of legal documents is an excuse to act accordingly.

Reply to this post

Response to pampango (Reply #3)

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:14 AM

5. Thank you

Legal papers don't matter. I have lived in Athens and and have other immigrant friends there. Parastate Golden Dawn and Fascist police are attacking immigrants to divide working class and divert public anger from tyrants to most vulnerable. Greek state may condemn them in words, in deeds they support the fascists, as fascism is the last refuge of capitalism.

There is no "law and order" in Greece, parastate fascists are working not only with impunity, but in total cooperation with police and official state. I'm very grateful to those brave Greek people carrying black and red flag and protecting my friends from fascists, with enormous risks to their health and safety.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 10:51 AM

4. Thanks for posting!

I was about to post it myself. I've been amazed by the lack of concern over this Neo Nazi party rising. Its like people are totally unaware of history. Sad, frightening, coming to the States.

Reply to this post

Response to RitchieRich (Reply #4)

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:25 AM

6. It kinda is there already

if you look how police behaves in many places, how many people are in prison and what is the skin color of the prison population. And in many places American communities are resisting and fighting against the police.

Reply to this post

Response to tama (Reply #6)

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:38 AM

7. Kinda Absolutely!

I agree with that entirely. We just aren't as far along yet, not as willing to elect those from the far right without playing name games.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 01:40 PM

8. Does anybody have the latest on what's been happening today?

This map of downtown Athens came through on my Facebook wall this morning with the caption: "This is the red zone, prohibited the entrance of the protesters yesterday by the Greek police. The area has already been invaded by the early morning by thousands of people." But I haven't seen any updates and I'd really like to know what's going on.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 02:25 PM

10. What a way to treat anti-fascist protesters...

sounds like the neo-Nazis are in control.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread