HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Syria agrees to buffer zo...

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 06:54 PM

Syria agrees to buffer zone along Turkish border, say reports

Source: Guardian

Syria has agreed to keep its forces six miles (10km) back from the Turkish border in the wake of this week's deadly shelling incident, Turkish media has reported.

Such a move would amount to a buffer zone – fulfilling a longstanding request by Syrian opposition groups that would allow rebels to operate freely and civilians to seek refuge.

Syria has not confirmed the claim and Ankara has made no official announcement. However, several Turkish media outlets, citing well-placed sources, claimed a deal had been struck.

Opposition groups have implored Turkey and the international community to establish an area in which they can move without fear of jets and helicopters, claiming it would be a significant step in their 19-month battle to oust the regime of Bashar al-Assad.

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/05/syria-agrees-buffer-zone-turkish-border-reports

8 replies, 2411 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Syria agrees to buffer zone along Turkish border, say reports (Original post)
dipsydoodle Oct 2012 OP
Alamuti Lotus Oct 2012 #1
geek tragedy Oct 2012 #2
Alamuti Lotus Oct 2012 #3
geek tragedy Oct 2012 #5
Arrowhead2k1 Oct 2012 #6
Igel Oct 2012 #8
dipsydoodle Oct 2012 #4
pampango Oct 2012 #7

Response to dipsydoodle (Original post)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:57 PM

1. absurd capitulation

No other country would voluntarily surrender to such a compromised position--this move only allows the terrorist gangs a free space to operate and plan their bombings. That is to say, more space aside from their terrorist bases inside Turkey, of course--and where is the accountability for that? Governor Bush often said "yah hulp ah tourist, yer a turrrist!! (what he had against the tourism industry, I never quite understood--must be that thick, fake Texas accent he pretended to have, or perhaps that silver spoon he was born with kept getting in the way while he spoke)

I suppose some "turrists" are fine, as long as they murder and destroyl in the name of American business interests.

Turkey bombs and kills people in northern Iraq in the name of its war against the Kurds, but Saddam Husayn or the puppet regime now never demanded such a humiliating concession from them. Not that I really expect any sort of consistancy from the rogue's gallery of hypocrites and thieves that run things at the moment.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Alamuti Lotus (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 6, 2012, 01:37 AM

2. Your angst on behalf of the Assad regime is touching. nt

Reply to this post

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 6, 2012, 03:28 AM

3. I only wish Assad was worth defending; as it stands, it complicates things for me

There is a rather tight-roped nuance in my writings on this subject; venom towards one does not imply approval of the other. But, I suspect that you would be incapable of noticing the difference anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to Alamuti Lotus (Reply #3)

Sat Oct 6, 2012, 12:15 PM

5. If mortar shells were hitting US cities on the Mexican border,

I can guarantee you we'd push their military further back than six miles. Turkey has every right to aggressively defend its citizens inside its own territory. Assad had no choice.

Reply to this post

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #5)

Sat Oct 6, 2012, 12:21 PM

6. If Turkey was serious about keeping the peace on its borders

they would stop turning a blind eye to armed terrorist groups who constantly cross their border and use their territory as terrorist staging grounds.

Reply to this post

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #5)

Sat Oct 6, 2012, 05:27 PM

8. Odd stance.

If we had allowed a "Free Mexican Army" to operate along the Mexican border, gave it humanitarian supplies (tents, food, medical supplies) and allowed it to freely cross the border, I suspect we'd have a different conversation. There's been a bit of this in Latin American over the last century, with the practice being either hideously immoral and an overt act of aggression or a wonderful act of enlightened political activism, depending upon which government and paramilitary group's under discussion. It's always billed as a kind of eternal moral principle, whichever stand is conveniently taken at the moment.

I also would probaby not have a problem if Nogales or Brownsville had a mortar or two hit them if we were actively sponsoring insurgents. After all, we'd be actively supporting an army engaged in hostilities against the country's government. That makes us allies of an enemy, and alliances have consequences. Just ask Europe in 1914.

Then again, we'd probably just invade Mexico and establish a government we liked rather than let an insurgency handle it. In this we'd receive thundering applause from all sections of the US population and the forces of world progressivism.

I guess the difference is that the US had imperialist if not colonialist aspirations in Latin America. Unlike the Turks, that indigenous group that left the Middle East in absolute peace for every second of the last 900 years and made no attempts to impose any sort of political, religious, or economic hegemony over anybody else in the area. It's a point in Turkey's favor that there's not a bit of nationalism in the current government's political make-up.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 6, 2012, 04:39 AM

4. Today , Saturday , Turkish army returns fire after Syrian mortar strike

(Reuters) - The Turkish military returned fire after a mortar bomb shot from Syria landed in countryside in southern Turkey on Saturday, the state-run Anatolian news agency reported.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/10/06/uk-syria-crisis-turkey-mortar-idUKBRE89503K20121006

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 6, 2012, 04:29 PM

7. Turkey and Syria swapped some of their most violent cross-border exchanges on Saturday ...

Turkey and Syria exchange fire

Turkey and Syria swapped some of their most violent cross-border exchanges on Saturday a day after Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan warned Damascus he would not shy away from war if provoked.

One resident of the border town of Guvecci said: “Artillery shells and mortar rounds are landing around 20 metres inside the Turkish border. They are even firing at vehicles and are wounding people here.”

This is the fourth day of strikes and counter-strikes which began when shelling by Syrian forces killed five Turkish civilians further east on Wednesday.

But as Syria’s leaders paid their respects to the dead from an old conflict, Turkey looks increasingly poised, and warns Damascus not to make the “fatal mistake” of provoking a new war with them.

http://www.euronews.com/2012/10/06/turkey-and-syria-exchange-fire/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread