HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Copper mine threatens sac...

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 07:30 AM

Copper mine threatens sacred city in Afghanistan INTERVIEW WITH FILMMAKER

Source: ABC

MARK COLVIN Most people remember when the then rulers of Afghanistan, the Taliban, used artillery to destroy the ancient Buddhas of Bamiyan. Now another huge and important archaeological site is under threat of destruction, but this time because of China's desire to mine copper.

It's Mes Aynak, a site in Logar Province southeast of Kabul. The China Metallurgical Group, known as MCC in English, aims to dig it up with explosives with a target date of December this year. But archaeologists have only scratched the surface of the treasures of Mes Aynak.

Brent Huffman is an award-winning documentary maker. He's working on a project called "The Buddhas of Aynak". I started by asking him to describe the place.

Read more: http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2012/s3604148.htm

BRENT HUFFMAN: The Mes Aynak Buddhist site is a little bit of a misnomer. It's really a city. It's a gigantic 400,000 square metre city, complete with hundreds of life-size or bigger Buddha statues, monastery complexes, temple structures, it's just enormous.

So it's actually spread all around the mountain area. So I think when people think of the site, they don't think of the sheer size of it, and the size is worth noting for a couple of reasons. One, because it is such a sort of grand, epic, really awe-inspiring site to see. But the size also makes it really difficult to excavate, because it's a very land-mined area, so it's dangerous to kind of poke around.

But it's also difficult to access some of the sites, and the archaeologists are small in number and don't have the tools to do the job, so the size makes things very difficult.

MARK COLVIN: So is what you see on the surface all of it, or do you think that there is more underneath? I understand it may go back as far as 5,000 years, in terms of human habitation.

BRENT HUFFMAN: The most important thing to maybe note about Mes Aynak is that archaeologists have just scratched the surface, and material has not been adequately studied that's been taken out of the ground.

So on the surface, we're looking at 2,600-year-old Buddhist sites - a major hub on the Silk Road, an extremely important meeting place, pilgrimage site, where different countries - Indian, Chinese, Afghan, Pakistani, all sort of met in this location...

Read the complete transcript or listen to the interview at the link.

Please also sign the petition at change.org. Thank you.

http://www.change.org/petitions/president-hamid-karzai-prevent-destruction-of-ancient-site-of-mes-aynak-the-environmental-damage-3

9 replies, 1876 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Copper mine threatens sacred city in Afghanistan INTERVIEW WITH FILMMAKER (Original post)
littlemissmartypants Oct 2012 OP
littlemissmartypants Oct 2012 #1
msongs Oct 2012 #2
littlemissmartypants Oct 2012 #4
4th law of robotics Oct 2012 #7
littlemissmartypants Oct 2012 #3
dipsydoodle Oct 2012 #5
valerief Oct 2012 #6
BadtotheboneBob Oct 2012 #8
valerief Oct 2012 #9

Response to littlemissmartypants (Original post)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 07:36 AM

1. Recently excavated the lower half of Buddha with gold leaf

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 07:38 AM

2. maybe the locals will declare blasphemy and riot. oh wait, wrong religion nt

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #2)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 07:45 AM

4. They are starting to get in the fray

but the locals have really not been informed ...not even about the likely contamination to the water supply of 3 million people.

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #2)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:02 AM

7. +1

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 08:21 AM

5. Its criminal

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 09:52 AM

6. To the 1%, nothing is more sacred than MORE MONEY. nt

Reply to this post

Response to valerief (Reply #6)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:32 AM

8. The 1% of China?

I suppose you're right.

Reply to this post

Response to BadtotheboneBob (Reply #8)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:45 AM