HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Federal Judge Approves Sc...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 09:32 PM

Federal Judge Approves Scaled-Down Florida Voter Purge.

Source: NYT/reuters

A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a challenge to Florida's recent voter purge efforts, clearing the way for the removal of about 200 suspected non-U.S. citizens from state voter rolls before the November 6 presidential election.

District Judge William Zloch dismissed the remaining challenges from voter advocacy groups, including the National Congress for Puerto Rican Rights and the Florida Immigrant Coalition.

The plaintiffs had contended Florida's purge efforts violated the National Voter Registration Act, or NVRA, and a federal law against removing voters within 90 days of an election, except under certain special circumstances.

Florida, which is closely divided between Democrats and Republicans, is an important electoral battleground state.

Zloch's ruling affects 198 people believed to be non-U.S. citizens based on a Department of Homeland Security citizenship database. An earlier purge list, containing more than 2,600 names, was cut back sharply due to errors.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/10/04/us/politics/04reuters-usa-campaign-florida-voting.html?hp

4 replies, 1537 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to elleng (Original post)

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 09:35 PM

1. Well 198 people is more reasoable, but I heard that some of those 198 were...

... legal voters.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:53 AM

3. They should be able to vote provisionally, then, and prove themselves after the fact? nt

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:17 PM

4. Yes I hope so, however i heard on the Ed radio show that there were some in the 198...

... that were citizens with the right to vote. Someone had better protect these people.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Original post)

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:58 PM

2. He should have ordered the state to find the people and verify

their status.

I guess, it leaves the complete burden on the voters?

This shit is SO out of control.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread