HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » In Council Bluffs, Joe Bi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 05:38 PM

In Council Bluffs, Joe Biden stands by 'buddy'

Source: Omaha World Herald

By Robynn Tysver

COUNCIL BLUFFS -- Vice President Joe Biden stood by his "buddy" on Thursday, defending President Barack Obama's debate performance at a campaign rally here.

Biden said he told Obama that he did a "great job" in Wednesday night's debate in a telephone call that Biden took from the president, shortly before he hit the stage at the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs.

The vice president's words of encouragement for his boss comes as many pundits and others say that Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney won the debate against Obama, a Democrat.

"He's my buddy. (And) I want to tell you something, I thought he did a great job," said Biden, who also urged Iowans to vote early and "elect us today."

FULL story and videos at bottom of story at link.

Read more: http://www.omaha.com/article/20121004/NEWS/121009857/1685#in-council-bluffs-joe-biden-stands-by-buddy

Photo: http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OW&Date=20121004&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=121009857&Ref=AR&Profile=1694&maxw=598&maxh=400

KENT SIEVERS/THE WORLD-HERALD
Vice President Joe Biden makes a campaign stop in Council Bluffs, speaking at the Mid-America Center on Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012.

11 replies, 2660 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply In Council Bluffs, Joe Biden stands by 'buddy' (Original post)
Omaha Steve Oct 2012 OP
gabeana Oct 2012 #1
itssimplestupid Oct 2012 #7
Indpndnt Oct 2012 #8
Pirate Smile Oct 2012 #2
Jennicut Oct 2012 #3
SleeplessinSoCal Oct 2012 #4
WestSeattle2 Oct 2012 #5
Jessy169 Oct 2012 #6
man4allcats Oct 2012 #9
Iwillnevergiveup Oct 2012 #10
DWinNJ Oct 2012 #11

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 05:40 PM

1. Some of my fellow dems are scared

when Biden speaks, nervous about next weeks debates, not me i think he is great and looking forward to him next week

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to gabeana (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:23 PM

7. Obama has to be nice

Joe doesn't have to be nice. Ryan's "budget" is a joke and Joe should spend the whole time of the debate explaining why it is bad for our nation and speak of nothing else.

http://www.RepublicansAreADisease.com

Republicans are a disease. Why treat them nice when they are trying to sabotage our country and destroy our families.

Reply to this post

Response to gabeana (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:42 PM

8. They're not the only ones who are scared.

The repubs are terrified. Why else would they have Joe Biden's surrogate in debate practices for Lyin' be Ted Olson, former Solicitor General of the United States and the person who successfully argued B*sh v. Gore before the U.S. Supreme Court?

That puts the lie to every dismissive insult they have ever tossed at Biden. He clearly terrifies them.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 05:43 PM

2. Why we love Joe.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 05:52 PM

3. I am looking forward to his debate with Ryan.

Should be interesting. Very different personalities.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:11 PM

4. Ayn Rand, Ayn Rand, Ayn Rand.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:13 PM

5. This is how a successful team operates......and I too am looking

forward to the Biden/Lyin debate. If anyone can get away with calling Lyin Ryan out on the national stage, it's Biden.

"Oh cut the crap Ryan, you're lying through your teeth and you know it. Stop embarrassing yourself; no one is stupid enough to believe half the crap you spew"

Questions?

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:18 PM

6. Barack Obama is a wise man

I expected Romney to act like an attack dog. He's not playing by the standard rules. If Barack acted differently he could have been diminished and the Presidency could have been too. Arguing or debating with rightwingers today is on their terms, down in a rabbit hole where there's no logic or reason. A person who uses intellect is disadvantaged among people who make their own facts out of nothing more than their biased opinions.

All in all Barack did well. He sustained. He got in some digs. People judge immediately on style. Superficially, it appeared Romney won. Sometimes people can get by on style, if they have some substance or truth. Mitt was a disaster on substance. He lied about too many topics that have become excruciatingly important to people This is not the year to get by on style. Obama is unmatched on substance.

After the initial reaction subsides, the backlash begins. It will be vicious and I'm doing what I can to make it. The unanswered questions, the untruths, the evasions, are going to cost the Republicans. Romney's style wasn't enough to motivate anyone but the substance of the situation is going to make Democrats angry. And when people get angry they get motivated. Barack knows all of this and that's why his job last night was just to endure, which he did very well.

*** Above is a post by leftreborn on this article: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/04/1139899/-Musings-from-a-1st-Time-Diarist-What-the-48-Laws-of-Power-Have-to-Say-About-the-Debate

Reply to this post

Response to Jessy169 (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:45 PM

9. Re: "Arguing or debating with rightwingers today is on their terms"

Agreed. It's like arguing with creationists about evolution. They will always play to the crowd and push substance aside in favor of style. But just as with the measured reason of President O., truth will always tell. Robme can make up "facts," but he can't make up truth. President O. just tells the truth and lets that truth stand on its own merits. And that's why I'm voting for the real winner of last night's debate, President Barack Obama.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 07:07 PM

10. Good - he brought up the 47% video

That's gotta be kept front and center at every stump speech.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 08:20 PM

11. I'm going to pay close attention

to hear if Ryan asks Biden "Can I call you Joe?"

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread