HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Suspect arrested in 2 kil...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Sep 30, 2012, 01:56 PM

Suspect arrested in 2 killings in Venezuela

Source: Associated Press

Suspect arrested in 2 killings in Venezuela
Associated Press – 1 hr 34 mins ago.

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuela's justice minister says a suspect has been arrested after two people were killed in a shooting that erupted during an opposition campaign caravan.

Justice Minister Tareck El Aissami said in a message on Twitter on Sunday that a suspect in the double murder was detained. He didn't identify the suspect.

Opposition lawmaker Julio Cesar Reyes said on Saturday that a group of President Hugo Chavez's supporters blocked the caravan in western Barinas state and people on both sides were arguing when a gunman appeared and started shooting.

Opposition officials said both men killed were participants in a motorcade of supporters of opposition candidate Henrique Capriles.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/suspect-arrested-2-killings-venezuela-162139210.html

11 replies, 1972 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Suspect arrested in 2 killings in Venezuela (Original post)
Judi Lynn Sep 2012 OP
iandhr Sep 2012 #1
Marksman_91 Sep 2012 #2
Peace Patriot Oct 2012 #3
dipsydoodle Oct 2012 #4
joshcryer Oct 2012 #7
JackRiddler Oct 2012 #8
joshcryer Oct 2012 #9
joshcryer Oct 2012 #6
Ash_F Oct 2012 #5
Marksman_91 Oct 2012 #10
Peace Patriot Oct 2012 #11

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sun Sep 30, 2012, 02:44 PM

1. Round up the usual suspects.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sun Sep 30, 2012, 07:17 PM

2. Typical of the people who support Chavez

Reply to this post

Response to Marksman_91 (Reply #2)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:20 AM

3. That is bullshit! What do you mean, saying something like that?

Back it up, now, with facts--or withdraw it.

How many people have the chavistas shot? Hm? Numbers please. Sources. Evidence.

Chavistas think, organize and win elections. They don't shoot people. They are an entirely peaceful force for beneficial change--one of the most awesome in Latin America's history.

I will not let this slander against them stand. Prove it or take it back.

Reply to this post

Response to Peace Patriot (Reply #3)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:33 AM

4. more bullshit here

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1014&pid=251428

"living in the safe community of Miami-Dade county" ..................which just happens to have the highest murder rate in FL.

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #4)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:02 PM

7. Or 4 times safer than Caracas.

Miami: http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/miami/crime/

Caracas: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/Latin-America-Monitor/2012/0821/Caracas-The-most-dangerous-city-in-Latin-America-or-is-it

(Note: CS Monitor is a very balanced report and I use the lowballed estimate even though the CS Monitor admits that there isn't a really good way to nail down the stats since the government doesn't release those stats.)

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #7)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 10:15 PM

8. So how will you walk back your claim...

from the other thread on this, that killing of opposition members would never be investigated?

Reply to this post

Response to JackRiddler (Reply #8)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 10:53 PM

9. I said credibly.

I await the jail time. The kid was allegedly given the gun by a Chavista. Will the Chavista actually go to jail? Doubt it.

http://www.entornointeligente.com/articulo/1319741/Capturado-Enmanuel-Reyes-sindicado-de-asesinar-a-opositores-01102012

Reply to this post

Response to Peace Patriot (Reply #3)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 02:52 PM

6. Funny how every time there's a shooting at these events it's the opposition who is harmed.

Just a coincidence I'm sure.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 01:48 PM

5. Serious question.

Would you consider yourself among Venezuela's upper class and, if so, do you think that has had any affect on your position on Chavez? I ask this because you mentioned that you moved to the states to go to university, which is something most Venezuelans could not afford to do.

This question is not meant as a criticism, but to get more insight on where you are coming from.

Reply to this post

Response to Ash_F (Reply #5)

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 11:02 AM

10. I would say I'm upper middle class

My family has enough money to live a comfortable life, but it's not like we own yachts or something. Sure, I've had it much easier than most people, but that doesn't mean I'm detached from reality. I lived in Caracas pretty much my whole life, and my brother too was also VERY active in all the protests and programs that went into the slums to help out the poor (I was very young at the time to participate in these events, hence why I didn't go). And it's not like I live in a bubble either. Hell, just to go to the Simon Bolívar airport you have to go through almost half of Caracas to reach the coast, where the airpot is, and in that route alone, you get to see just how deteriorated the city is.

And it's not like I resent people who have less money than me. My best friends are actually people who I wouldn't consider in the same socio-economic level that I am, and I still love them like my brothers and only wish I could see them every day. The point I'm trying to make is, don't think that people with money are always detached from reality. That's evident in many, if not most, cases, sure, but it's not the norm. I've met plenty of rich people who are well aware of my country's problems and really do care about helping it improve.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:15 AM

11. I'm waiting for the proof that shooting people is "typical of the people who support Chavez."

Prove it, or take it back.

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting........

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread