HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama Medicare plan: No v...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 09:37 AM

Obama Medicare plan: No voucher but maybe a bill

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: AP

WASHINGTON (AP) — He’ll never turn Medicare into a voucher, but if you are lucky enough to be financially comfortable in retirement, odds are you’ll pay higher premiums under President Barack Obama’s plan. It’s not just the 1 percent who’ll feel the pinch.

And take note, baby boomers: The Medicare you get won’t be quite as generous as what your parents’ generation enjoys. A higher deductible here, a new co-payment there, and the tweaks add up.

With the future of Medicare on the line in the presidential election, The Associated Press asked the Obama campaign five questions about how his plans for seniors’ health care would affect critical issues of costs and benefits. (The AP also sent Republican Mitt Romney a set of questions, and the responses are the subject of a companion report.)

Unlike Romney, Obama is not calling for a major Medicare remake. Most of the president’s cost-cutting ideas are incorporated in his health care law, and will phase in unless Romney wins and makes good on his pledge to repeal it. Other Obama proposals are drawn from government advisory groups or bipartisan commissions seeking consensus on how to reduce deficits.

Read more: http://www.salon.com/2012/09/23/obama_medicare_plan_no_voucher_but_maybe_a_bill/

18 replies, 3278 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 09:56 AM

1. The phrasing here is inaccurate. Very wealthy beneficiaries already pay a higher

Medicare premium. It is already the case, not a thing to fear in the future...this gets tiresome.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 10:40 AM

7. Exactly. The higher your income, the more you pay in Medicare taxes.

It's always been this way, unless you form an S-Corp which limits your tax liability.

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 09:58 AM

2. Medicare costs are predicted to explode in the next decade, due to baby boomer retirements, etc

We need single payer system, no doubt about it.

Response to secondwind (Reply #2)

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 11:07 AM

11. It is

Medicare is a single payer system. Ask a person on medicare what their monthly premium is and then compare what you and your employer are paying. Then compare coverage for what you receive and what someone on medicare receives. Medicare is a great system but the taxpayer still funds it. There is a lot of waste in the system. As a ex mobility dealer I can tell you first hand that millions are spent on "power chairs" that many can pay for outright or help pay for. Some of these chairs cost upward of $20,000 dollars with some extras. Most average around $8000,00. On top of that many repairs are covered by the govt that result from wear and tear including abuse. Batteries are entitled to be replaced every year. Most machines have two with each one costing around $100.00 each. Add to that tires, seats, and breakdowns you are looking at a lot of nickles. I am just describing one aspect of what medicare covers and I am sure if you look at every other segment that medicare covers you will see the same scenario with many avenues to save.

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 09:59 AM

3. From the article -

"Broadly speaking, Obama would raise monthly premiums for retirees making $85,000 or more ($170,000 for married couples). He also would hit newly joining baby boomers with a series of fees."

I think the elevated premiums should start at a lower income level. Why not at $60,000 ($120,000 for a couple) or $50,000 ($100,000 a couple)? The current threshold only snags 5% of the Medicare population.

Response to DURHAM D (Reply #3)

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 11:25 AM

13. Exactly..

It doesn't happen to mention the massive percent of retirees who make less or even FAR less than 85k/170k... Hell I'd be happy making that WHILE WORKING!

Response to Fearless (Reply #13)

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 11:43 AM

15. Just yesterday -

I had a conference call with my two siblings. We are all three on Medicare and we discussed this very issue and are mystified by the ridiculously high income level before the elevated medicare premium kicks in.

We all agreed that the income level needs to be lowered even though we would be affected by a change. We were all talking about saving the program and thinking about the children and the grandchildren.

My sister commented that if the level is dropped and the premium goes up a little some of her friends (couples) might have to take one less cruise every other year. oh what a shame...

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 10:08 AM

4. lots of negative stories about obama care from this reporter...

...seems like he would make an excellent guest on faux news.... info may be accurate, but the headline and presentation are definitely putting a negative spin on it...

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 10:14 AM

5. Gosh, wonder what would happen to the cost of Medicare if healthy young people

were in the pool? If all were covered and with all those people paying in and driving the cost down...people would get care early in a disease process so that they weren't treating problems at their most costly moments. Sigh...

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 10:31 AM

6. Just like the SS of today is not the same as what was passed in 1935

nor is the Medicare of 1965 the same as what it is today, so too will SS, Medicare, AND now the ACA change via amendments to continue to clean them up, and adapt them to changing circumstances.

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 10:40 AM

8. Slanted much? I guess Salon must be competing for some ad dollars from a Koch company.

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 10:43 AM

9. My guess is that many of the 'financially comfortable' Medicare recipients...

already carry secondary insurance now, which would likely lessen the impact of much of this. These used to be referred to as 'senior care' plans; they pay for the deductibles and co-payments. (Medicaid does something similar for poor Medicare recipients.)

Response to Princess Turandot (Reply #9)

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 11:00 AM

10. Anyone who can afford

those plans already has one. They are very expensive.

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 11:18 AM

12. An Obama win saves Medicare.

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 11:32 AM

14. Comfortable in retirement

That's something most of us will never experience. And I'm not concerned with rich people right now. Social Security and Medicare were never meant to keep rich people rich in their retirement. The programs were meant to help keep older people out of abject poverty and out of old age homes.

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 11:45 AM

16. This was a hatchet job!

And I'm not sure why my fellow DUers are dismissive of the article instead of showing outrage!

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 12:40 PM

17. They can send all the bills they want

but if the elderly can't pay, well, too bad for medicare, its unsecured debt and just more money the tax payers will need to fork over so why even bother changing the system. Maybe they can expand the private debtors prisons the the repubs are so keen on.

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 07:22 PM

18. Locking - not Latest Breaking News

The LBN hosts do not think this contains a news story; rather, it is analysis. Please feel free to repost in Politics 2012, GD or Good Reads.