HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Libyan leader says 50 arr...

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 07:00 PM

Libyan leader says 50 arrested in U.S. consulate attack

Source: REUTERS

WASHINGTON/TRIPOLI, Sept 16 (Reuters) - The head of Libya's national congress said on Sunday about 50 people had been arrested in connection with a deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi last week, although the interior minister put the figure far lower.

Tuesday's attack in Benghazi coincided with protests over a video made in the United States that denigrates the Prophet Mohammad. It resulted in the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans.

Libyan assembly head Mohammed Magarief was asked by the "Face the Nation" programme on the U.S. television network CBS how many people had been arrested in connection with the assault, and replied: "About 50."

But Libyan Interior Minister Fawzi Abdel A'al, when asked about that figure, told Reuters in Tripoli that only four arrests had been made and around 50 people were "wanted for investigation".

FULL 3 page story at link.


Read more: http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews/idAFL1E8KG4VO20120916



* Assembly head says consulate attack "planned by foreigners"

* Minister says consulate guards may have been infiltrated

4 replies, 1534 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Libyan leader says 50 arrested in U.S. consulate attack (Original post)
Omaha Steve Sep 2012 OP
HooptieWagon Sep 2012 #1
Drunken Irishman Sep 2012 #2
Cha Sep 2012 #3
defacto7 Sep 2012 #4

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 07:10 PM

1. Thats good...

but I hope they have suitible evidence, and the accused get a fair trial.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 07:24 PM

2. Good. I am really impressed with the Libyan government...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 07:49 PM

3. Thanks for this, Omaha Steve..from your links..

"It was definitely planned by foreigners, by people who entered the country a few months ago and they were planning criminal acts since their arrival," he said, adding that some were from Mali and Algeria.

He said the security situation in Libya remained "difficult" for Americans, as well as for Libyans. The United States wants the FBI to investigate the consulate attack, but Magarief said it may be too soon to send in investigators.

"It may be better for them to stay away for a little while until we do what we have to do ourselves," he said.


Asked how attackers managed to launch the second assault, Abdel A'al said: "I think there may have been an infiltration within the group protecting the consulate.

"This will come out in the investigation but there are indications that this is a possibility."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 10:02 PM

4. When I heard the figure mentioned as 50 arrested

I was a bit sceptical that 50, some possibly heavily armed, were brought in, though I was hoping. Since the report of 4 arrests and 50 wanted for investigation was made, it makes much more sense. I think they are doing their job and the latest figures seem realistic.

Thanks for putting this up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread