HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » THE RACE IS ON; Obama's L...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 07:55 PM

THE RACE IS ON; Obama's Lead Increases, Warren and Brown in Dead Heat

Source: PR NEWSWIRE

BOSTON, Sept. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In the days following the Democratic Convention President Obama has extended his lead over former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney to 16 points (56 percent to 40 percent with 9% undecided) according to a Kimball Political Consulting survey of "likely voters" in Massachusetts.
Senator Scott Brown has less than a 1 point lead over Democrat Elizabeth Warren (46 percent to 45 percent) with 9 percent undecided. The figure is well within the survey's 3.5 percent margin of error.
While pundits often suggest that conventions have little effect on voters these results contradict that assumption," explained Spencer Kimball, a Republican Strategist who conducted the poll. Compared to an earlier survey of the "most likely to vote" population two weeks before the convention Obama gained 5 points while Brown dropped by 5 immediately after the Democratic convention.
"Both Senator Brown and Elizabeth Warren are carrying very high favorability rating at over 50% each. This may be the result of both campaigns' pledge to keep outside money from buying negative ads," said Kimball.
There had been questions going into the Republican Convention regarding whether Senator Brown would take the podium, but citing a conflict with his duty as a reservist with the Army National Guard he did not make a speech. Elizabeth Warren spoke prior to President Bill Clinton on Wednesday night of the Democrat Convention...........
The statewide survey of 756 Massachusetts likely voters was conducted over the weekend of September 7, 8 and 9, 2012, using automated telephone interviews of landline and cell phone users. The margin of error is +/- 3.5 percent at a 95 percent level of confidence. Frequencies and full cross-tabulation data are available on the www.kimballpc.com website.

Read more: http://www.sys-con.com/node/2355364

I hope more women of Massachusetts wake up to the difference between these two candidates. Scott Brown's views do NOT represent them!

In his latest ad, Brown claims FULL CREDIT for introducing an anti-insider trading bill for members of Congress, we all know how weak it is, and that he was NOT the ONLY sponsor.

24 replies, 4294 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply THE RACE IS ON; Obama's Lead Increases, Warren and Brown in Dead Heat (Original post)
DavidL Sep 2012 OP
DippyDem Sep 2012 #1
freshwest Sep 2012 #2
DavidL Sep 2012 #4
SunSeeker Sep 2012 #5
valerief Sep 2012 #8
RBInMaine Sep 2012 #3
DavidL Sep 2012 #6
smirkymonkey Sep 2012 #10
Cha Sep 2012 #13
dreamnightwind Sep 2012 #7
FailureToCommunicate Sep 2012 #9
Cha Sep 2012 #14
nutsnberries Sep 2012 #11
elleng Sep 2012 #12
Cha Sep 2012 #15
DavidL Sep 2012 #16
David__77 Sep 2012 #17
ProudToBeBlueInRhody Sep 2012 #19
DavidL Sep 2012 #20
Sirveri Sep 2012 #24
ComtesseDeSpair Sep 2012 #18
DavidL Sep 2012 #21
sweetloukillbot Sep 2012 #23
CountAllVotes Sep 2012 #22

Response to DavidL (Original post)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:01 PM

1. Yes! I've been worried.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DippyDem (Reply #1)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:15 PM

2. I've been disappointed that MA voters are leaning toward Brown.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #2)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:19 PM

4. Mass has NEVER HAD a woman Senator or elected Gov.

Jane Swift was an "unelected" Governor for a year or two, and did poorly.

There's an "old boy" thing in Mass, I fear. Brown tries to look like the common man, and many men respond to that, unfortunately, and not to Elizabeth's message about Wall Street and big banks.

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #4)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:24 PM

5. Unfuckingbelievable. Get with the program Mass!

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #4)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:51 PM

8. Blow me. Warren has this in the bag. nt

Reply to this post

Response to DippyDem (Reply #1)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:16 PM

3. Does the worrying help? Or maybe donating, calling, and canvassing is a better option.

Reply to this post

Response to RBInMaine (Reply #3)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:24 PM

6. Warren is well funded, and just needs a bit of ads

questioning Brown's judgement and 3 year do-nothing record.

Add to that, one former Boston Mayor, is supporting Brown as are some other mayors.

Elizabeth is viewed as too "Harvard" for some voters, although she rose to that position by hard work, former teacher and mother right out of a poor middle class family in the poor town of North Adams.

Warren is the epitome of a woman who broke the glass ceiling by her hard work, but many men seem to want to have a beer with Brown at the local bar, and don't see the danger of a Republican controlled Senate.

I'm hoping Warren can expand her message to women, over contraception, etc. But Mass is a big Catholic state, and she doesn't want to go too far out on that limb.

Her current message: "Washington shouldn't be rigged for the big guy".

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #6)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:04 PM

10. I just moved here from NYC and the first thing I did was register to vote.

I'm voting for Warren and nobody has polled me.

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #10)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:37 PM

13. YAY! I have a good cyberbuddy in Western

Mass who has been volunteering and canvassing for Elizabeth for Months and they are dead serious about Getting OUT the Vote!

Anyone want to donate a few bucks to Elizabeth Warren that gives her Moral Support, too!

https://secure.elizabethwarren.com/

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:25 PM

7. Go Elizabeth!

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:55 PM

9. Elizabeth Warren's convention speech was just the right tone...

I'm glad it seems to have helped her rise in the polls against that bozo Brown.

Still, she need all the help from us she can:

Say the words "Republican control of the Senate" over and over, then consider donating to her campaign:

https://secure.elizabethwarren.com/

Reply to this post

Response to FailureToCommunicate (Reply #9)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:39 PM

14. I think she's just

the cutest thing! Integrity and she's adorable!

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:30 PM

11. in my little right-leaning town, last week's state primary results

surprised me:

Elizabeth Warren received 1220 votes, Scott Brown 39.
Yes, one thousand two hundred twenty to thirty-nine!

It was very hard to believe the results since I see a fair number of Brown yard signs and very few Warren ones, but these are certified numbers .

Reply to this post

Response to nutsnberries (Reply #11)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:35 PM

12. Sounds HUGE to me, nuts!

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:40 PM

15. Wow! That's

Bizarre! I'll take it!

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:42 PM

16. This is more an indicator of the number of Dem leaning people in your town who...

who actually showed up to vote in your town. They favor Warren over Brown.

I live in a town like that, but am in the UK right now, and didn't vote in the primary, and don't know the candidates nor issues there locally.

I will vote in the general election, absentee, I will get my ballot October 30 or so, and mail it off that day, air-mail special delivery.

I really think that Dems in Mass are so much more concerned with the issues, and Repubs show up and vote mechanically, without a thought.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:50 PM

17. Why isn't Warren leading by ten?

Not to be a downer, but if she's not leading by ten now, then this means that it's time to release the attack dogs. This is not Ohio or even New Mexico. A Republican being elected should have been a bizarre aberration.

Reply to this post

Response to David__77 (Reply #17)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:00 PM

19. Because Scott Brown has positioned himself as a "good guy"

And trust me...."guy" helps. Mass is not as easy on women as they are some men.

The average Mass voter thinks he hasn't been in there long and because of that they are tempted to give him a full term. Warren hasn't connected well to be honest, and there is an attitude that she's an "outsider" showing up out of nowhere. She has to do better down the stretch.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:01 PM

20. Agreed, it's hard to know the Massachusetts voter who

ignored Romney's obvious tax evasion in Mass in 2002 to "retroactively" declare that while he was living in a 7000+ square foot mountain mansion in Colorado for 3 years, occasionally flying back to Mass to do business at Bain, he tried to say he was a Mass resident for at least the past 7 years and deserved to become Governor. Then he changed his tax returns, paid a few tens of thousands more in taxes in both states, and ran for Governor and won, convincing liberal New Englanders that he was as liberal a Republican as they come.

Then he didn't treat gay rights activists with any due respect, was stunned by the state supreme court decision, the first in the nation to allow gay marriage, vowed to fight for a referendum to repeal it, then walked away from the state, not seeking a second term, all while doubling the state's debt, and raising fees by some $700 million while in office.

He had the presidency in mind, in 2008... which didn't quite work out that way.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 03:01 AM

24. Poll shows her down by 5 points.

Which sucks, I like her moxie.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:55 PM

18. Dead Heat?

WTF is wrong with Massachusetts? Warren should have a 20 point lead!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to ComtesseDeSpair (Reply #18)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:13 PM

21. Mass has a strange love of "equanimity" in politics, often

electing local representation to the state legislature that is one-sided Democratic Party. Then seeks to absolve itself with a Republican Governor, unless there is a clear and objective Democrat star power candidate in the race, who is all for fairness, justice, and has a great personality, (Deval Patrick, Dukakis, etc.).

After 40+ years of Kennedy in the Senate, Massachusetts sought to absolve herself of a one party U.S. Senate incumbancy, by NOT voting for a distinguished but slightly politically flawed first woman ever as Senator, Democratic Attorney General woman to represent them in the U.S. Senate.
They chose playgirl boy Brown, who was just an ordinary guy, no record of distinction for his 10 plus years in the state house legislature from a conservative area. Brown tailored himself as "just one of the guys". Elizabeth Warren, by contrast, as we see now, is a very distinguished Harvard college professor, former teacher, a woman who rose from the ranks by ability alone.

The people of Massachusetts get locked into all sorts of "it's just the way it is" thinking, not "innovation and reform" thinking. The Kennedy's would never have been successful in politics for all those years had it not been for Jack Kennedy becoming a saint in Massachusetts in 1963 when he was killed. Massachusetts remembers her past, and sticks with it, the past of 3 years ago, or the past of 49 years ago. Unless a Kennedy runs against Brown, Massachusetts leaves things as they are in politics, doesn't like women to defeat a man, and has a real problem with Harvard folks telling what is best for them, prefers the common ordinary guy in a pick-up truck to the Harvard professor as a Senator.

That's how the election is close.

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #21)

Tue Sep 11, 2012, 01:19 AM

23. A friend from Salem was telling me it was very much a sexist thing.

He said that Warren made a crack in a speech about not having to pose nude to get votes, and that Brown made a sexist response like "Thank God." And that the next poll was when Brown leapt out to the lead.
Scum.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:28 PM

22. Lanslide Mr. President!!!

L A N D S L I D E !!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread