HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Teacher Strike Begins in ...

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:56 AM

Teacher Strike Begins in Chicago, Amid Signs That Deal Isnít Close

Source: New York Times

CHICAGO ó Teachers in the nationís third-largest school district went on strike Monday morning after negotiations for a new contract collapsed, giving some 350,000 students an unexpected day off but leading to frustrations among parents and indications that a settlement may not be close.

Chicago Public Schools and the union representing teachers have been embroiled for months in a bitter dispute over wages, job security and teacher evaluations.

Coming as the school year is in only its second week after the summer break, the strike will affect hundreds of thousands of families, some of whom spent the weekend scrambling to rearrange work schedules, find alternative programs and hire baby sitters if school is out for some time.

At Lane Tech College Prep, on the cityís North Side, most of the high schoolís 250 teachers had already assembled by early Monday morning as they prepared to staff picket lines. They wore red union T-shirts and carried signs saying ďHonk If You Love a Teacher.Ē Many passing motorists responded with incessant horn blowing.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/education/teacher-strike-begins-in-chicago-amid-signs-that-deal-isnt-close.html?_r=1&hp

Saw a couple LBN threads about an impending strike, but none in LBN that reported the strike as officially on. Apologies if I'm duplicating efforts.

1 replies, 1204 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Teacher Strike Begins in Chicago, Amid Signs That Deal Isnít Close (Original post)
coalition_unwilling Sep 2012 OP
senseandsensibility Sep 2012 #1

Response to coalition_unwilling (Original post)

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 07:51 PM

1. Kick for the teachers.

They (and the students) have my support.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread