HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 10,000 EXPOSED TO KILLER ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 09:55 PM

10,000 EXPOSED TO KILLER VIRUS

Last edited Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:35 PM - Edit history (2)

Source: express.co.uk

Up to 10,000 people who stayed in lodging cabins at Yosemite National Park may have been exposed to a deadly mouse-borne virus that has killed two people.
Park concessionaire Delaware North sent letters and emails this week to nearly 3,000 people who reserved the insulated Signature cabins between June and August, warning them that they might have been exposed.

The cabins hold up to four people and park spokesman Scott Gediman said Friday that could mean up to 7,000 more visitors might have been exposed to the virus that so far has killed two people and made four others ill.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/343368/10-000-exposed-to-killer-virus

(More at the link. Misleading headline but LBN forces the direct and literal use...I would have posted "3000 poss. exposed", and wouldn't have used all caps. PS: Hantavirus.)

Reuters:

Two men died from the rare lung disease called hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, and four other people survived the rodent-borne illness. Most of the victims are believed to have contracted the virus while staying in tent-style cabins this summer in a popular camping area called Curry Village.

Park officials earlier this week shut down 91 insulated tent-cabins after finding deer mice, which carry the disease and can burrow through pencil-sized holes, nesting between the double walls of the structures.

Park authorities have notified 2,900 parties of visitors who rented the tent cabins from June through August that they may have been exposed to hantavirus.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/31/uk-usa-hantavirus-yosemite-idUSLNE87U00E20120831?feedType=RSS&

29 replies, 5489 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 29 replies Author Time Post
Reply 10,000 EXPOSED TO KILLER VIRUS (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Aug 2012 OP
darkangel218 Aug 2012 #1
tjdee Aug 2012 #2
BlueToTheBone Aug 2012 #4
Iliyah Aug 2012 #3
Cooley Hurd Aug 2012 #5
darkangel218 Aug 2012 #6
Hissyspit Aug 2012 #16
CountAllVotes Aug 2012 #7
Iliyah Aug 2012 #8
DhhD Aug 2012 #9
Mz Pip Aug 2012 #10
Duer 157099 Sep 2012 #21
Trillo Aug 2012 #11
pscot Aug 2012 #12
Fire Walk With Me Aug 2012 #13
highplainsdem Aug 2012 #14
dipsydoodle Sep 2012 #22
Hissyspit Aug 2012 #15
pscot Aug 2012 #18
CreekDog Sep 2012 #19
kestrel91316 Aug 2012 #17
CreekDog Sep 2012 #20
kestrel91316 Sep 2012 #24
proverbialwisdom Sep 2012 #27
byeya Sep 2012 #23
kestrel91316 Sep 2012 #26
tabasco Sep 2012 #25
johnd83 Sep 2012 #28
tufnel Sep 2012 #29

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 09:57 PM

1. whats the name of the virus? i cant open the link from my cell n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 09:59 PM

2. Hantavirus, per the CDC.nt

Reply to this post

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:01 PM

4. Hantavirus. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:01 PM

3. What are the effing symptoms?????

Do tell!

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:02 PM

5. Urges to post on internet message boards...

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 11:06 PM

16. Flu-like symptoms, aching, sore throat, dizziness.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:07 PM

7. Yikes!!!!

>> The 91 insulated canvas cabins in the century-old Curry Village are new to the park, built in 2009 to replace some that had been closed or damaged after parts of Curry Village, which sits below the 3,000ft Glacier Point promontory, were determined to be in a rock-fall hazard zone. Park staff found evidence of mouse nests in the insulation while taking them apart for cleaning.

This one time part of Curry Village is where the poor folk tourists would stay. It was not much fun so you'd hopefully be able to get out of "housekeeping" as it was called and be able to afford to stay in one of the cabins there.

It was so great at one time and now this!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:13 PM

8. WOW, we got west nile and now this??????

As a child I use to go to Yosemite every summer with my parents. Just WOW.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:13 PM

9. The virus in found in the mouse droppings in the dust, dirt and bedding of mice usually in a barn.

It is not in hay that is used in a barn under livestock but over in a corner where a mouse would live and sleep. People have gotten the virus from cleaning out an old barn too throughly. Perhaps the virus does not effect cats, owls and snakes, etc.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:19 PM

10. I stayed there years ago

back when I didn't need to get up in the middle of the night to trek across the grounds in the dark to the potty.

So what has changed from way back when to now? There must have been mice around then.

We were there in February and stayed at Yosemite Lodge. We took the shuttle to get from place to place and it went by the tent cabins. They looked pretty much the smae as they did when we stayed there in the 80s.

Really saddened by this. I love Yosemite and love spending a few days there each year. I hope this doesn't end up shutting the whole place down.

Reply to this post

Response to Mz Pip (Reply #10)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 04:19 AM

21. I think they redesigned some of the tent cabins

to improve insulation, they added a second layer which allowed for a gap where the mice made their nests.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:20 PM

11. Did the letters or communications offer to pay for medical testing? NT

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:27 PM

12. Get a grip, folks. This is the Express

Fear mongering to sell tabloid papers. Hanta virus has been around for a while.

Reply to this post

Response to pscot (Reply #12)

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:35 PM

13. Yes, definitely a "SHOCKING" headline not based upon specific fact or immediate issue.

However, I believe a time frame for possible exposure has been determined and this is correct.

Reuters:

Two men died from the rare lung disease called hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, and four other people survived the rodent-borne illness. Most of the victims are believed to have contracted the virus while staying in tent-style cabins this summer in a popular camping area called Curry Village.

Park officials earlier this week shut down 91 insulated tent-cabins after finding deer mice, which carry the disease and can burrow through pencil-sized holes, nesting between the double walls of the structures.

Park authorities have notified 2,900 parties of visitors who rented the tent cabins from June through August that they may have been exposed to hantavirus.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/31/uk-usa-hantavirus-yosemite-idUSLNE87U00E20120831?feedType=RSS&

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:53 PM

14. The BBC's story also uses that 10,000 figure in the headline:

Deadly Yosemite virus warning to 10,000 US campers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19447160

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 05:15 AM

22. Origin of the news was U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Our UK Daily Express simply reported it as did others. Confirmed here : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/31/yosemite-virus-hantavirus-cdc-risk_n_1847847.html

Yes - it has indeed been a round for 100's maybe even 1000's of years and in the past caused whole tribes of your native population to up and move.

Its only its designation etc which is from modern history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 11:01 PM

15. The first major breakout in the U.S was in 1993 when six died on a Navajo Reservation.

I think there was another breakout in 1998?

A third of the 587 cases since 1993 have been fatal.

People just need to educate themselves and protect themselves. Avoid contact with rodent droppings. Pour bleach over them if you come into contact with them.

VIDEO here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/california-s-dept-of-public-health-proceed-with-camping-plans-despite-hantavirus-outbreak-30460267.html

California's Dept. of Public Health: Proceed With Camping Plans Despite Hantavirus Outbreak
19 hours ago - KOVR Sacramento 3:41 | 29,173 views
The state's Public Health Department says we should continue with our plans this holiday weekend even if they include camping at Yosemite National Park.

Reply to this post

Response to Hissyspit (Reply #15)

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 11:51 PM

18. Another Hanta virus victim

(Man pouring bleach over rodent droppings.)

Reply to this post

Response to Hissyspit (Reply #15)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 03:26 AM

19. I worked out there right after that and we had a specific procedure for droppings

even the mousetraps were different than most people have seen.

and the cleanup prior to letting us all back into areas contaminated was extensive and substantial.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 31, 2012, 11:29 PM

17. Well, most of those people, if they haven't caught it by now, NEVER WILL.

Needlessly melodramatic "news".

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #17)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 03:28 AM

20. hantavirus is generally fatal

the idea that so many were exposed is a really *big* deal.

because people may have gotten sick afterwards, the cause may not be known to them or their doctors.

Reply to this post

Response to CreekDog (Reply #20)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:31 PM

24. No, it's not "generally fatal". Diagnosed cases do have a high mortality - about 1 in 3.

But IIRC lots of people have antibodies to it, meaning they got exposed at some point, but never got sick enough to warrant medical attention.

It's the severe manifestation known as Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome that is scary, but there have only ever been about 500 cases in the US since it was discovered about 20 years ago.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #24)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:52 PM

27. +1

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 08:21 AM

23. Hantavirus is probably nationwide. Two hikers in Shenandoah NP 10 years ago dies after

sleeping in a trail shelter.
Each year, or nearly every year, a person or two dies on the Navajo reservation.
\The virus is in the mouse feces and if you are near the feces in a poorly ventilated room. or tent, or hogan,
you can be infected.
If you must clean out an area that smells of mice, wear a germ proof mask and make sure the area is
as ventilated as possible.

Reply to this post

Response to byeya (Reply #23)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:39 PM

26. And you must NEVER EVER sweep up dry rodent feces - this makes the virus airborne.

Rodent feces should ALWAYS be wetted with disinfectant before cleaning up!

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:36 PM

25. I hate fucking mice

I put mousetraps in the bottom of 8" plastic flowerpots in the woodline around my house to keep them from getting into the house. It works pretty well. The drain holes in the bottom of the pots are just big enough for a mouse to get in. Flat paving stone on top of flower pot. Tiny piece of dog biscuit for bait.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:51 PM

28. Hantavirus is no joke

It is actually important to tell people they were exposed so if they get sick they will get treatment ASAP rather than assuming it is just a cold or flu.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 02:20 PM

29. Alerting some friends

Wow, two friends visited Yosemite in June. Letting them know about this, thanks.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread