HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Trump Jokes Are Paying Of...

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 03:31 PM

Trump Jokes Are Paying Off for Late-Night Shows, With Soaring Ratings and Ad Revenue

Source: Ad Week

Two months into his presidency, Donald Trump’s pledge to “make America great again” isn’t turning out quite as he had anticipated, but he’s certainly already made late-night comedy shows lucrative again.

Since Trump’s inauguration in January, the late-night talk shows that skewer him the most mercilessly are seeing big ratings gains—including The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee and The Daily Show with Trevor Noah—and an accompanying increase in scatter market ad revenue.

Leading the charge is Colbert, whose program has been the No. 1 show in late night for six consecutive weeks, a 23 percent year-over-year increase in total viewers. The week of March 6, The Late Show had its largest weekly audience since its premiere week in September 2015. (Fallon, whose Tonight Show continues to maintain a healthy lead in the 18-49 demo race, has never been political on his show, but the host still hasn’t recovered from the backlash he received after tousling Trump’s hair during a September appearance.)

“The general rule of thumb is the advertiser dollars follow the eyeballs, and he’s getting more and more eyeballs,” said Jo Ann Ross, president of network sales for CBS, of Colbert. “We’re very happy with what’s going on versus where we were at this time last year.”

Read more: http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/trump-jokes-are-paying-off-for-late-night-shows-with-soaring-ratings-and-ad-revenue/

5 replies, 1246 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump Jokes Are Paying Off for Late-Night Shows, With Soaring Ratings and Ad Revenue (Original post)
brooklynite Monday OP
Jane Austin Monday #1
mainstreetonce Monday #2
oldcynic Monday #3
Jane Austin Monday #5
Kimchijeon Monday #4

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:09 PM

1. We have an abundance of good shows on late, but

for me, Seth Meyers is the absolute best.

I hate it when he's on vacation.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Jane Austin (Reply #1)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:31 PM

2. Have to have nightly Seth

Will even watch repeats.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:38 PM

3. I want Larry Wilmore back!

Reply to this post

Response to oldcynic (Reply #3)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 06:26 PM

5. Me, too.

He was getting his groove when they yanked him.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 06:08 PM

4. Now if they'd just imagine ratings for impeaching and etc- jackpot!

That'd light a fire under their ass I hope... all they want is the ratings anyway so here's hoping

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread