HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Japan's female athletes f...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jul 19, 2012, 03:55 AM

Japan's female athletes fly economy while men's team sit in business

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Rhiannon12866 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Guardian

Japan's female athletes fly economy while men's team sit in business

Japan's female national football team Nadeshiko Japan placed in economy seats on flight to France sparking gender debate

Justin McCurry in Tokyo
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 18 July 2012 23.56 EDT

They are world champions and brought hope to a nation reeling from a natural disaster, but Japan's female Olympic footballers had to make do with economy class seats during their gruelling flight to Europe this week, while the less celebrated men's team relaxed in business class.

The issue surrounding "Nadeshiko Japan", who lifted the women's world cup in Germany last summer, began soon after they arrived in Paris on a Japan Airlines flight from Tokyo.

"I guess it should have been the other way around," Homare Sawa , the team's star player, told Japanese media. "Even just in terms of age, we are senior," she joked.

~snip~

Sawa, 33, who will be taking part in her fourth Olympics, noted that the team had been awarded business class seats after they won the world cup in Germany last July.

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/19/japan-female-atheletes-economy-class

6 replies, 1471 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Japan's female athletes fly economy while men's team sit in business (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jul 2012 OP
Deep13 Jul 2012 #1
TheWraith Jul 2012 #2
NYC_SKP Jul 2012 #3
dipsydoodle Jul 2012 #4
BT021 Jul 2012 #5
Rhiannon12866 Jul 2012 #6

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Thu Jul 19, 2012, 04:00 AM

1. I would not be able to live with myself...

...if I were in business class and others were in coach for no other reason than gender. I'd suggest selecting business class riders for the number of available seat by drawing names for a hat.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jul 19, 2012, 04:01 AM

2. "relaxed in business class"

The difference between business class and economy is the difference between "live cargo" and "perishable goods."

Thu Jul 19, 2012, 04:07 AM

3. I can cite a similar gender biased case, the other way around.

A teacher development opportunity arose that required one-weeks residency at a family camping resort that had bunkhouses and common showers for the kids and nice condo-style townhouses for the parents.

Guess which quarters were assigned to the male teacher trainees and which to the female trainees, all of us, mind you, highly qualified professionals.

I tried it, I hated it, I left to rent a hotel room several miles away on my own dime because I don't care to sleep on a slab next to farting boisterous men.

Especially disturbing was that the organizers asked all entrants if they had a preference, but in the end it didn't matter.

Fuck that shit.

Thu Jul 19, 2012, 04:58 AM

4. That's bad.

Thu Jul 19, 2012, 05:28 AM

5. if they don't win a medal ...

on the return flight,
they should be seated on the wings.

Thu Jul 19, 2012, 06:24 AM

6. Locking, sorry, this isn't breaking news.

But it's an interesting issue. Please consider reposting in GD. Thanks!