HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Pride celebration brighte...

Sat Jun 30, 2012, 08:19 PM

Pride celebration brightens Aksarben Village (and new city anti-discrimination ordinance)

Source: Omaha World Herald

In a rainbow-filled field Saturday in Omaha, nobody worried that they wouldn't be accepted — or that they would be judged and discriminated against.

There was love, support and respect as thousands of people from Omaha and surrounding areas celebrated equality, diversity and a new city anti-discrimination ordinance at the 2012 Pride Festival.

“It's a place to come without any negativity. It gives my daughters a chance to see something positive associated with same-sex relationships,” said Michaela Seidl Steiner of Omaha.

This was the 27th year the event has been held in Omaha, and organizers estimated more than 4,000 people would attend.

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://www.omaha.com/article/20120630/NEWS/120639990/1707#pride-celebration-brightens-aksarben-village

Photo Slideshow: Click here to see more photos from the 2012 Pride Festival and Parade: http://odc.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=5002&p=3710

CHRIS MACHIAN/THE WORLD-HERALD
Vicki Wiese holds her granddaughter Claire Richards as they show their support during the 2012 Pride Festival and Parade at Stinson Park in Aksarben Village on Saturday. Claire is 1 1/2 years old.

5 replies, 2259 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pride celebration brightens Aksarben Village (and new city anti-discrimination ordinance) (Original post)
Omaha Steve Jun 2012 OP
allan01 Jun 2012 #1
closeupready Jun 2012 #2
Zorra Jun 2012 #3
Hassin Bin Sober Jul 2012 #4
stevenleser Jul 2012 #5

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:22 PM

1. re:Pride celebration brightens Aksarben Village (and new city anti-discrimination ordinance)

thanks for positng

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:27 PM

2. K&R for Vicki and Claire!

How sweet.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 30, 2012, 11:23 PM

3. What a happy picture! They're so cute! nt

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 1, 2012, 12:00 AM

4. Aww. Grandparents supporting their grandkids always get me.

I saw a couple with matching t-shirts "I support my gay grandchild" at Chicago's Pridefest. I just about started bawling.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 2, 2012, 06:00 PM

5. K&R nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread