HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » H1N1 Swine Flu May Have K...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 11:45 AM

H1N1 Swine Flu May Have Killed 15 Times More Than First Said

Source: ABC News

The swine flu virus, H1N1, may have killed 15 times the number of people counted by the World Health Organization, according to a new study. And unlike the seasonal flu, the H1N1 pandemic struck down mostly young people, many living in Africa and Southeast Asia.

Beginning in 2009, the virus swept the globe, and the WHO counted 18,500 swine flu deaths that had been confirmed by laboratory tests. But according to new estimates from researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the virus probably killed between 105,700 and 400,000 people around the world in its first year alone, and an additional 46,000 to 179,000 people likely died of cardiovascular complications from the virus.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/swine-flu-h1n1-pandemic-deaths-15-times-higher/story?id=16646281

Well, I guess the CDC was right after all to declare it a pandemic. Too bad so many people questioned their motives and tried to smear the scientists working hard on this at the time.

1 replies, 1235 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply H1N1 Swine Flu May Have Killed 15 Times More Than First Said (Original post)
NickB79 Jun 2012 OP
Mojorabbit Jun 2012 #1

Response to NickB79 (Original post)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 11:59 AM

1. Following it as is happened one could see there were a lot of deaths

I think they played it down to avoid panic

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread