HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » (Wendy) Long wins NY Sena...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 03:47 AM

(Wendy) Long wins NY Senate GOP primary to face Gillibrand

Source: Newsday

ALBANY, N.Y. - (AP) -- Wendy Long, who promoted her conservative credentials on her way to a convincing win in New York's Republican Senate primary, now faces a broader and more liberal electorate as she takes on Democratic incumbent Kirsten Gillibrand.

Long, a New York City attorney, defeated U.S. Rep. Bob Turner and Nassau County comptroller George Maragos in a primary election Tuesday notable for low turnout.

<snip>

Long has political experience but has never held elected office. She worked in the U.S. Senate, clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and has advocated for conservative judges for the group now known as the Judicial Crisis Network.

<snip>

Long has run as a staunch conservative. She promoted her support for gun rights, said she opposed same-sex marriage and vowed never to vote to raise the federal debt ceiling. She has already secured the state Conservative Party line, which is considered crucial to Republicans running for statewide office.

Read more: http://www.newsday.com/long-wins-ny-senate-gop-primary-to-face-gillibrand-1.3807438

Sounds like the anti-Gillibrand. Kirsten Gillibrand was my congresswoman, extremely popular in this traditionally Republican district. Here's hoping for a high turnout among New York voters in November...

5 replies, 2284 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply (Wendy) Long wins NY Senate GOP primary to face Gillibrand (Original post)
Rhiannon12866 Jun 2012 OP
aaaaaa5a Jun 2012 #1
Rhiannon12866 Jun 2012 #2
pstokely Jun 2012 #3
ashleyecaf Jun 2012 #4
HangOnKids Jun 2012 #5

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Original post)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 04:10 AM

1. What a waste of time that primary was.

This seat is staying blue. Long would do a great job if she lost by less than 15.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to aaaaaa5a (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 05:57 AM

2. I agree, a total waste.

Apparently, nobody even cared enough to show up, if they even knew about it... Reminds me of the halfhearted attempts to run somebody against Hillary Clinton.

Reply to this post

Response to aaaaaa5a (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 07:06 AM

3. Is Gillibrand still going to the convention after candidates were told to stay home?

?

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Original post)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 07:13 AM

4. hi :)

Sounds like the anti-Gillibrand. Kirsten Gillibrand was my congresswoman, extremely popular in this traditionally .

Reply to this post

Response to ashleyecaf (Reply #4)

Reply to this thread