HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Fueled by immigration, As...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:33 PM

Fueled by immigration, Asians are fastest-growing U.S. group

Source: NY Daily News

Asian Americans are now the nation's fastest-growing racial group, overtaking Latinos in recent years as the largest stream of new immigrants arriving annually in the United States.

In an economy that increasingly depends on highly skilled workers, Asian Americans are also the country's best educated and highest-income racial or ethnic group, according to a new report from the Pew Research Center.

In fact, U.S. Asians, who trace their roots to dozens of countries in the Far East, the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, are arguably the most highly educated immigrant group in U.S. history, the study shows. And although there are significant differences among them by country of origin, on the whole they have found remarkable success in their new land.

"These aren't the poor, tired, huddled masses that Emma Lazarus described in that inscription on the Statue of Liberty," said Paul Taylor, the research center's executive vice president.

Read more: http://india.nydailynews.com/newsarticle/4fe07a7db1e35d0d0a000019/fueled-by-immigration-asians-are-fastest-growing-u-s-group

Here is a link to the original Pew data: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/06/19/the-rise-of-asian-americans/

7 replies, 2148 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fueled by immigration, Asians are fastest-growing U.S. group (Original post)
cosmicone Jun 2012 OP
hrmjustin Jun 2012 #1
AsahinaKimi Jun 2012 #2
AlphaCentauri Jun 2012 #3
Posteritatis Jun 2012 #6
Vehl Jun 2012 #4
JI7 Jun 2012 #5
Vehl Jun 2012 #7

Response to cosmicone (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:38 PM

1. And they vote democratic. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:49 PM

2. Yes...we do ..

YES WE CAN!!!! WOOT!

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 07:55 PM

3. How the xenophobes will swallow that bone?

Reply to this post

Response to AlphaCentauri (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 08:06 PM

6. We'll probably see if this thread picks up any steam.. (nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 07:57 PM

4. Indian Americans seem to be overwhelmingly democrat, proves what I've suspected all along :)

I knew that Indian Americans tend to support the democrats by a huge margin, and this pew results prove it with hard numbers

PS: never knew Vietnamese were so evenly split between republicans and democrats. interesting.

Reply to this post

Response to Vehl (Reply #4)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 08:04 PM

5. the vietnamese are the same reason as Cuban AMericans

because of communism they escaped from. but i think the younger ones aren't influenced by that as much and are voting Dem more. even the older generations were not really that conservative but they were one issue voters.

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #5)

Wed Jun 20, 2012, 02:17 PM

7. Ah, it makes sense.

Never thought of it.Thanks for the explanation. Most of my Vietnamese friends tend to be democrats, however as you pointed out,t hey belong to the younger generation.

In the case of Philippinos I believe their religion also plays a part in their republican tendencies.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread