HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Defense of Marriage Act c...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue May 22, 2012, 07:14 PM

Defense of Marriage Act court hearing set

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

A federal appeals court on Tuesday rejected the Obama administration's request to speed up its review of the federal law denying benefits to same-sex spouses and said it would hear the case in September.

The 1996 law, known as the Defense of Marriage Act, withholds benefits such as Social Security payments, joint tax filing and immigration sponsorship rights to gays and lesbians who are married under state laws.

U.S. District Judge Jeffrey White of San Francisco declared the law unconstitutional in February, calling it an irrational act of discrimination, and ordered the government to let a federal court attorney enroll her wife in a government-sponsored family insurance plan.

President Obama withdrew his administration's defense of the law in February 2011, saying he considered it unconstitutional, and it is being defended by lawyers hired by House Republican leaders. They have appealed White's ruling to the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/05/22/BA3U1OLR6Q.DTL

2 replies, 1548 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Defense of Marriage Act court hearing set (Original post)
alp227 May 2012 OP
William769 May 2012 #1
Fearless May 2012 #2

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Tue May 22, 2012, 07:20 PM

1. I don't understand the knuckle dragging by the Courts.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to William769 (Reply #1)

Tue May 22, 2012, 07:39 PM

2. My only guess...

Is that they're afraid of it going to the SJC still... which it probably will end up doing. The matter of a few months or a year or two will make all the difference there.

Either way it helps our cause.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread