HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Wells Fargo says it may f...

Tue May 8, 2012, 10:28 AM

Wells Fargo says it may face fair lending claims

Source: Reuters

(Reuters) - The Department of Justice believes it has grounds to bring claims against Wells Fargo & Co (WFC.N) for monetary damages and civil penalties under fair lending laws, the bank said in a securities filing on Tuesday.

The fourth-largest U.S. bank said it believes such claims should not be brought and it is seeking to show the department that it is in compliance with fair lending laws, the filing said. The investigation involves possible violations related to mortgage origination practices, the filing said.

San Francisco-based Wells Fargo is the largest servicer and originator of home loans in the United States.

Government agencies also continue to investigate whether Wells Fargo properly disclosed risks related to mortgage-backed securities in offering documents for investors, according to the filing. In February, Wells said it had received notice that it may face an enforcement action from the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/08/us-wellsfargo-justice-idUSBRE8470OM20120508

9 replies, 2055 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wells Fargo says it may face fair lending claims (Original post)
Amerigo Vespucci May 2012 OP
goclark May 2012 #1
crazylikafox May 2012 #2
Amerigo Vespucci May 2012 #4
bayareaboy May 2012 #3
slackmaster May 2012 #5
The Magistrate May 2012 #6
qb May 2012 #7
midnight May 2012 #8
Kelvin Mace May 2012 #9

Response to Amerigo Vespucci (Original post)

Tue May 8, 2012, 10:33 AM

1. Interesting

What about Bank of America?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue May 8, 2012, 10:45 AM

2. It would be nice to see some criminal penalties for a change.

past time for some banksters to go to jail. Civil penalties will just be added to their cost of business & passed on to the customer.

Reply to this post

Response to crazylikafox (Reply #2)

Tue May 8, 2012, 10:50 AM

4. Yep...start the countdown to "new ATM fees."

The only real damage here is to Wells Fargo's public image, but when you factor in the millions they spend on marketing, this too shall pass.

Reply to this post

Tue May 8, 2012, 10:50 AM

3. Can I be the first to say ...

No shit Sherlock!

My guess is Wells Fargo is playing counter to the justice dept to let folks know that mean Obama and Holder want a hunk out of their ass. I am sure that BofA will be right behind.

It's too bad that Wells didn't move to North Catonic a few years ago like BofA did. I hate to see bad things said about San Francisco.

Reply to this post

Tue May 8, 2012, 11:03 AM

5. Good.

Reply to this post

Tue May 8, 2012, 11:04 AM

6. A Damned Poor Substitute, Sir, For Criminal Charges Pressed As Ruthlessly As They Press Evictions

In a well-run polity, most of this company's executives would be doing twenty-to-life, and fines equal to its last ten years' stated profits paid in to the national Treasury.

Reply to this post

Tue May 8, 2012, 11:45 AM

7. WF must be in panic mode.

They're jacking checking account fees and credit card interest rates WAY up - even for a customer of 20 years! My partner finally dumped them for a credit union.

Reply to this post

Tue May 8, 2012, 12:09 PM

8. People who were suppose to receive modified mortgages were defrauded again.

I would say that is unfair, but what well be done about it? They create jobs, and the job creators are to important to prosecute for fraud.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread