HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » China expels al-Jazeera r...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue May 8, 2012, 07:16 AM

China expels al-Jazeera reporter as media relations sour

Source: WaPo

By Keith B. Richburg, Updated: Tuesday, May 8, 5:55 AM

BEIJING — China has expelled an American journalist working for the English-language arm of al-Jazeera, the Qatar-based satellite television network whose broadcasts shattered the information monopolies of authoritarian Arab governments and played a pivotal role in the “Arab Spring” uprisings that began early last year.

In a statement issued by the station’s Qatar headquarters, al-Jazeera said it “has had to close” its English language bureau in Beijing after Chinese authorities refused to renew the visa and press credentials of correspondent Melissa Chan. The expulsion does not affect the network’s separate Arabic-language bureau.

Chan, a 31-year-old from California, had reported from Beijing for al-Jazeera since 2007. She left Beijing Monday on a flight to Los Angeles.

The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China, or FCCC, protested the expulsion, describing it as “the most extreme example of a recent pattern of using journalist visas in an attempt to censor and intimidate foreign correspondents.” An FCCC statement said “foreign news organizations, not the Chinese government, have the right to choose who works for them in China, in line with international standards.”

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-expels-al-jazeera-reporter-as-media-relations-sour/2012/05/08/gIQAlip49T_story.html

5 replies, 1629 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply China expels al-Jazeera reporter as media relations sour (Original post)
maddezmom May 2012 OP
Prometheus Bound May 2012 #1
madrchsod May 2012 #2
Suji to Seoul May 2012 #3
Prometheus Bound May 2012 #4
madrchsod May 2012 #5

Response to maddezmom (Original post)

Tue May 8, 2012, 07:24 AM

1. Which reminds me. Does anyone know what happened to HeyHey?

I do remember he was a journalist and that he moved to China. And I remember him saying one day he was spreading democracy in China. And I wondered about the advisability of stating it in public like that. And I haven't seen him here in a long time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Prometheus Bound (Reply #1)

Tue May 8, 2012, 08:42 AM

2. i think he must have been warned about posting on this site

i have no doubt the du would`t get past the chinese firewalls. or he might have decided to do this on his own. yup i miss his posts and will never forget his trials and tribulations during his bachelorhood in canada.

Reply to this post

Response to madrchsod (Reply #2)

Tue May 8, 2012, 11:47 AM

3. I'm in Nanjing. I post on this site. it's not blocked.

Reply to this post

Response to Suji to Seoul (Reply #3)

Tue May 8, 2012, 04:00 PM

4. Glad to hear it.

But still wondering about HeyHey.

Reply to this post

Response to Suji to Seoul (Reply #3)

Tue May 8, 2012, 06:49 PM

5. cool...good to hear

Reply to this post