HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 4 Years Later, Race Is St...

Fri May 4, 2012, 01:09 PM

4 Years Later, Race Is Still Issue for Some Voters

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Ruby the Liberal (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: New York Times

4 Years Later, Race Is Still Issue for Some Voters

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio — This is the land of die-hard Democrats — mill workers, coal miners and union members. They have voted party line for generations, forming a reliable constituency for just about any Democrat who decides to run for office.

But when it comes to President Obama, a small part of this constituency balks.

“Certain precincts in this county are not going to vote for Obama,” said John Corrigan, clerk of courts for Jefferson County, who was drinking coffee in a furniture shop downtown one morning last week with a small group of friends, retired judges and civil servants. “I don’t want to say it, but we all know why.”

A retired state employee, Jason Foreman, interjected, “I’ll say it: it’s because he’s black.”

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/us/politics/4-years-later-race-is-still-issue-for-some-voters.html

6 replies, 1525 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply 4 Years Later, Race Is Still Issue for Some Voters (Original post)
kpete May 2012 OP
uppityperson May 2012 #1
Solly Mack May 2012 #2
freshwest May 2012 #3
truthisfreedom May 2012 #4
ashling May 2012 #5
Ruby the Liberal May 2012 #6

Response to kpete (Original post)

Fri May 4, 2012, 01:22 PM

1. In other news, water is still wet. I wish it weren't so, but indeed there are enough who

won't vote for Obama due to his skin color. People can be really weird.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri May 4, 2012, 01:35 PM

2. and that makes them bigots.

Fri May 4, 2012, 01:39 PM

3. There is no logic to this. If race was so crucial, why not consider that his mother was white?

And that he was brought up and strongly influenced by his white grandparents? That he has followed through education and career and even philosophy, with what most 'whites' would traditionally encourage their kids to do to achieve the most success in society?

I wonder if it is about Michelle, who has borne the filthiest insults and innuendos, that are pure ignorant, race hatred, than any other FLOTUS? I have been deeply offended deeply by hearing Rush and his Dittoheads constantly degrading her on what would be considered secondary racial or sexual physical attributes that are not even confined to blacks!

Would these people have felt differently if instead of marrying an intelligent, strong, well-educated black woman, he'd done like Clarence Thomas or Herman Cain and married a white woman? Is Michelle such an offense to them?

How are do they expect to survive in a world that is increasingly mixing all the ethnic and racial types, so there is no way to guess where a person has come from or any of that? They'd go crazy if they visited my town. There is no way, except for those who really want to follow some cultural pattern, wearing scarves or whatever to reveal a bent toward a certain religion, race or COO. You literally cannot tell by language or behavior what a person is, the only way to relate is with a smile from the heart reflecting through the eyes, that says a silent Namaste.

The Democratic Party is a big tent, but some who claim to be Democrats must have stopped evolving a few decades ago.

Fri May 4, 2012, 01:57 PM

4. His father was not from the American black culture these people fear.

Fri May 4, 2012, 03:03 PM

5. How is this "breaking"?

more like broken

Fri May 4, 2012, 10:41 PM

6. Locking - analysis piece, not LBN