HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Hey Obama! Bain Capital ...

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:14 AM

Hey Obama! Bain Capital EMPLOYS Rush Limbaugh, Hannity and Glenn Beck

Last edited Tue Jul 17, 2012, 02:57 AM - Edit history (5)

This is what Obama should say next about Mitt Romney and Bain Capital:

In 2008, Bain Capital acquired Clear Channel Radio and 850 radio stations for $24 billion, and records show 14 of the company's directors have contributed more than $700,000 to Romney's campaigns. Romney supposedly left the firm in 1999, but still rakes in millions from his sizable share of Bain investments and pays 15 percent tax.

Romney's Bain Capital controls the board of directors of Clear Channel. These are people who started giving to Romney in 1994. This is a social and economic network that is deeply involved in Clear Channel and tightly controlled.

These are Romney's friends and allies going back to the very beginning of his political career. And now they control Clear Channel Radio, America's largest and most powerful FM and AM radio station corporation. It operates 850 radio stations and reaches 110 million Americans.

Clear Channel syndicates most conservative talk radio shows including Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck and Michael Savage. And what about all that "free" advertising that Romney gets every day on hundreds of radio stations across the country on these talk shows?

What better way to control the message of conservative talk radio than to BUY it? Rush Limbaugh was given a $400 million contract in 2008 when Bain Capital purchased Clear Channel. He broadcasts on over 600 radio stations. Sean Hannity is heard on over 500 stations by 13.5 million listeners. Hannity also received a new and lucrative contract when Bain purchased Clear Channel in 2008.

It's quite a propaganda budget...but if Mitt Romney wins the White House it's worth it, right?

In a stunning article from Wayne Barrett of Newsweek and The Daily Beast from March 2012, Romney and Bain were outed as the money behind conservative talk radio. Bain bought Clear Channel in 2008 then took over its board of directors with the goal of influencing public opinion during the presidential campaigns of 2008, 2012 and beyond. With millions of dollars now being donated to the Romney campaign from Clear Channel, Americans should wonder just how much control Mitt Romney and Bain Capital have over conservative talk radio show hosts Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. These shows reach tens of millions of listeners every day. Sean Hannity reaches even more viewers on his Fox News television show.

Conservative talk radio show hosts rely on Bain Capital for their livelihood. That can't be good for fair and honest opinions on their shows.

Daily Kos article link here:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/26/1095014/-Bain-Capital-and-Mitt-Romney-s-Best-Kept-Secret-Clear-Channel-Radio

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS INFORMATION TO ALL OF YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK CONTACTS. THIS STORY COULD BE THE END OF MITT ROMNEY'S 2012 CAMPAIGN.

60 replies, 9523 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 60 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hey Obama! Bain Capital EMPLOYS Rush Limbaugh, Hannity and Glenn Beck (Original post)
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 OP
Ruby the Liberal Jul 2012 #1
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #2
pnwmom Jul 2012 #4
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #6
Spitfire of ATJ Jul 2012 #17
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #41
Spitfire of ATJ Jul 2012 #42
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #43
Spitfire of ATJ Jul 2012 #49
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #51
Spitfire of ATJ Jul 2012 #54
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #57
Ruby the Liberal Jul 2012 #5
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #7
Ruby the Liberal Jul 2012 #8
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #9
pnwmom Jul 2012 #10
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #12
Spitfire of ATJ Jul 2012 #18
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #20
Spitfire of ATJ Jul 2012 #50
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #3
pnwmom Jul 2012 #11
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #13
HiPointDem Jul 2012 #14
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #19
Samantha Jul 2012 #15
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #16
Overseas Jul 2012 #21
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #22
Overseas Jul 2012 #34
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #52
KharmaTrain Jul 2012 #23
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #24
KharmaTrain Jul 2012 #25
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #26
KharmaTrain Jul 2012 #27
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #28
KharmaTrain Jul 2012 #30
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #35
movonne Jul 2012 #32
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #33
ananda Jul 2012 #29
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #31
Pisces Jul 2012 #36
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #38
Wounded Bear Jul 2012 #37
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #39
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #40
Doctor_J Jul 2012 #44
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #46
Doctor_J Jul 2012 #45
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #47
lindysalsagal Jul 2012 #48
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #53
annabanana Jul 2012 #55
Harley Jacobson Jul 2012 #56
Yeah Its Spin Jul 2012 #58
Yeah Its Spin Jul 2012 #59
freshwest Aug 2012 #60

Response to Harley Jacobson (Original post)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:24 AM

1. Welcome to DU!

Not sure why you think this would end Willard's campaign - Bain's ownership of Clear Channel is perfectly legal and well known.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ruby the Liberal (Reply #1)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:26 AM

2. It's obvious why this would end Romney's campaign.

Bain Capital actually influences the content of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage and Glenn Beck.

Clear Channel is Mitt Romney's PAID FOR propaganda machine.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #2)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:30 AM

4. Welcome to DU, Harley! n/t

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #4)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:31 AM

6. i want to talk with you about bain

but i don't have permission to email other users yet. can you email me, please?

i have been working on the bain/clear channel connection for almost a year now. the story must surface in a much bigger way.

thanks.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #6)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 03:57 AM

17. Maybe moveon.org can do it as a video.

Reply to this post

Response to Spitfire of ATJ (Reply #17)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 03:52 PM

41. hard to contact them

Reply to this post

Response to Spitfire of ATJ (Reply #42)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 05:29 PM

43. never done that before.

thanks, i sent it.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #43)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 07:14 PM

49. MOVEON.ORG wants people to be not be shy about ideas.

I'd like to see the fan mail from Right Wingers.

I bet it would provide a lot of dialogue for "Moran Guy - The Motion Picture!"

Reply to this post

Response to Spitfire of ATJ (Reply #49)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:53 PM

51. right wingers are ill-informed.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #51)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:58 PM

54. That's what makes them unintentionally funny. Like when they still believe Iraq had WMDs.

Reply to this post

Response to Spitfire of ATJ (Reply #54)

Wed Jul 18, 2012, 08:29 AM

57. united states: hands off governments in other countries!

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #2)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:31 AM

5. And Fox Newz is the propaganda arm of the GOP.

It just has a different owner.

I guess I am just not seeing why this is a game changer?

Reply to this post

Response to Ruby the Liberal (Reply #5)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:35 AM

7. big difference...

Romney and associates planned a takeover of conservative talk radio. For over a year, Clear Channel Radio has been pushing its conservative talk show hosts to make Romney the GOP nominee in 2012.

Clear Channel's conservative talk show hosts defend Romney on the Bain issue every day, because they do not want the American public to understand how Clear Channel is in the bag for Romney and has been since 2008 when Bain purchased it.

Rupert Murdoch of FOX has spoken out against Mitt Romney.

But Clear Channel is controlled by Bain and is STEERING THE VOTES OF MILLIONS OF AMERICANS with sheer propaganda.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #7)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:37 AM

8. Thats what they do.

Are you lobbying for the Fairness Doctrine?

Reply to this post

Response to Ruby the Liberal (Reply #8)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:41 AM

9. of course not...

please understand how carefully controlled and planned mitt romney's every move is...

don't underestimate the power of the white horse prophecy, either:

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/29/mitt_and_the_white_horse_prophecy/singleton/

Mitt Romney will do ANYTHING to occupy the White House. He will buy, lie and intimidate others to get his way.

Having access to 110 million American voters every day and passing it off as OPINION RADIO is very dangerous for the future of the country.

If Americans only knew the connection between Bain Capital and conservative talk radio - they would think deeper about the kind of control and influence Mitt Romney actually uses to get his way.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #9)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:55 AM

10. My husband isn't nearly as political as I am, but he agrees that Mitt's/Bain's control

of CCC is extremely disturbing.

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #10)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:57 AM

12. CCC = Clear Channel Corporation

Clear Channel Radio changed its name to Clear Channel Corporation fairly recently.

PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP. THIS IS TOTAL CONTROL OF MESSAGING TO MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF CONSERVATIVE VOTERS.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #10)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 04:05 AM

18. Especially considering it's other meaning,...

the Council of Concerned Citizens which is a White Nationalist group listed with the Southern Poverty Law Center.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/groups/council-of-conservative-citizens

Reply to this post

Response to Spitfire of ATJ (Reply #18)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:33 AM

20. really?

not really.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #20)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 07:17 PM

50. Malloy used to mention them a lot.

He's in Atlanta so it's all reported from the scene.

Reply to this post

Response to Ruby the Liberal (Reply #1)

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #3)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:57 AM

11. self-delete

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #11)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 02:07 AM

13. i deleted the link.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 02:10 AM

14. +1

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #14)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:22 AM

19. yes/

it's time to talk about this.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 02:26 AM

15. It is good to see you bring this up now; I was thinking the same thing earlier

Limbaugh has a pattern of conduct. When a potentially hot potato topic comes up, it is almost as if some source gives him the nod to go off the cliff. He does and all eyes and ears tune in to his commentary, diverting attention from the core issue. I am so tired of this. And the liberal commentators we enjoy listening to immediately turn to his incendiary language and begin a discussion on that, leaving the core behind. Why do they do this? It is like enabling him.

Ignore him. He's beyond idiocy, disgusting. If I wanted a dose of Limbaugh and his ilk, I would tune in to their broadcasts. That has never happened and never will.

So I agree with your point. Limbaugh is nothing more than a crass tool deployed by Romney and his ilk when attention needs to be diverted from an important issue under intense scrutiny.

Sam

Reply to this post

Response to Samantha (Reply #15)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 02:33 AM

16. well said, and here's more...

i was listening to a conservative talk radio show out of chicago the other day. someone called in from boston to complain about how romney doesn't reveal his taxes.

the host of the show literally said,

"NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN THAT. PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW ABOUT OBAMA AND THE ECONOMY."

the called said, "NO, I WANT ROMNEY'S TAXES RELEASED."

the host tried to distract, but it wasn't working well.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:41 AM

21. Could be a good focus for a couple of ads -- Rush ranting with subtitle on Clear Channel ownership.

As long as Clear Channel didn't retaliate by hurting the handful of progressive radio shows they carry.

Reply to this post

Response to Overseas (Reply #21)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:43 AM

22. search rush limbaugh's site - transcripts

if you search rush limbaugh's website in his transcripts section for BAIN CAPITAL, you will find out that all he does is defend bain capital and romney's involvement with bain.

it's the same for glenn beck and sean hannity.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #22)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 11:25 AM

34. I don't doubt it. No need for me to give their sites one more click.

I'll leave that to the Democratic ad makers. And wonderful reporters who expose the lies spewed daily on hate radio.

Reply to this post

Response to Overseas (Reply #34)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:54 PM

52. stephanie cutter: email me!

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:47 AM

23. Bain's Modus Operendi...

I first posted about this here in 2007 when the deal was first coming down. It's a typical Bain fleecing operation with a political twist. The $24 billion debt has been used to milk tons of fees and to downscale stations right and left. No different than other Bain games where they will eventually gut all these stations of what value is left in them...while the radio industry implodes. Yes...there is the political component and good luck to you in trying to bring this to light. Unfortunately Cheap Channel/Bain isn't the only company doing that...so is Cumulus and Salem and these companies have long benefitted from using their hate radio stations to their political and financial gain.

This will have ZERO affect on Willard's campaign.

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #23)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:50 AM

24. this is the moment to expose bain and clear channel

if the american people find out about this, it would take out hannity and limbaugh as being credible about romney's bain involvement.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #24)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 10:09 AM

25. I Appreciate Your Optimism

But I don't see how this will have any affect on the body politic. It surely won't take out Hannity or Rushbo as we saw with the Sandra Fluke situation...Bob Pitman and John Hogan will not fire them and all the noise only helps give them publicity. Hate radio is a dinosaur...a remnant of a radio that is rapidly fading away and Bain/Cheap Channel is keeping a Titanic afloat just long enough to make their financial killing and be on their way. Internet, Satellite and Podcasting are taking their toll on the bottom lines of this company and hate radio's audience continues to get old and fade away.

Unfortunately those who listen to hate radio do so by choice...and banishing it wouldn't chance the political dynamic in this country. I wish it would but its influence is more among the chattering classes than it is on the masses. Hate radio is used to echo messages these days, not to spread them. Mittens needed those stations more to win the nomination than it is to win the general election...Citizens United is what he'll use to carpetbomb the media (and BTW Bain/Cheap Channel stand to make a nice chunk of change from the SuperPac spending...yet only a fraction of what will be spent on TV).

The turning of the public airwaves has been a bipartisan venture (Telcom '96 was passed under Clinton) and there's no appetite to reform ownership rules...

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #25)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 10:35 AM

26. there is reason to think this will stop romney...

i used to listen to limbaugh, hannity and glenn beck for years. one day, i found out that bain capital actually owned the clear channel syndication stations for these shows. i was pulling for a non-Romney GOP candidate at the time.

for the past 15 months, clear channel radio stations have been bashing the non-Romney candidates, smearing them and lying about them. that's how romney was able to bully his way into the GOP nomination selection process: money and radio talk shows.

conservative radio talk shows have been telling listeners that OBAMA must be removed from office. conservatives are literally brainwashed into believing that ANYONE would be better than obama.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #26)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 10:53 AM

27. The Fleecing Of The Public Airwaves Are Fait Acompli

Your highlighting a problem that's more endemic within the rushpublican party than it is outside. The party is fractured; highlighted by last year's clown car demolition derby primary. Mittens didn't win as much as the "true conservatives" couldn't rally around one candidate and allowed Mittens to survive similar to how Gramps McCain won the nomination in '08. It's rushbo's "operation chaos" come home to roost. For a time I thought Seanity was on the Cain train and rushbo's "support" of Rmoney has been tepid in comparison of his water carrying for the booooshies.

Of course hate radio has been trashing this President...non-stop ever since he first announced his candidacy. It had no affect in '08 and one can say it was rushbo's big mouth that cost the rushpublicans control of the House and Senate in '06 when he blasted Michael J. Fox in the waning days of the campaign. Religious radio that is further below the radar has been trashing Obama even worse...calling him the anti-christ, "muslim" and all forms of evil incarnate. Those who listen to these stations (and they're a small segment of the electorate) are already far gone...they'll believe all that's fed to them. It's daily affirmation for their rage and frustrated lives.

What will stop Rmoney? His own arrogance and greed. Still 40% of the voting electorate will vote against their own interests...

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #27)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 10:56 AM

28. you're correct

obama is better than romney any day of the week, but the whole american political system is not serving the public.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #28)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 11:06 AM

30. It Never Really Has...

While the Constitution is a wonderful document and was light years ahead of any political document written before, its words have long been controlled by those with the deepest pockets with rare moments of accountability after their games and corruption overload the system. The best we can ask for is accountability and transparency and hope that the power of the voter can trump the power of the dollar. Occasionally it happens but today there are too many groups stuck in their own special intersts...solidarity is rare and fleeting.

Welcome to DU...and thank you for a thoughtful discussion...

Cheers...

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #30)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:24 PM

35. we should all work together for a better world.

Reply to this post

Response to Harley Jacobson (Reply #24)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 11:11 AM

32. We should all remember what Clear Channel did to the

dixie chicks...

Reply to this post

Response to movonne (Reply #32)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 11:13 AM

33. clear channel is not for freedom of expression.

it's been obvious to me for years.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 11:03 AM

29. It's always nice to own the media.

nt

Reply to this post

Response to ananda (Reply #29)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 11:08 AM

31. let's neutralize conservative talk radio

spread the story to your social network contacts. clear the way.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:28 PM

36. Follow the money and you open up a can of worms!!!

Reply to this post

Response to Pisces (Reply #36)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:34 PM

38. glenn beck's salary doubled to $100 million recently...

even though bain-owned clear channel is losing money, it double glenn beck's salary to $100 million.

glenn beck is losing market share and making more $$??

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:34 PM

37. Wow, I just had a flash for an ad idea.....

Yes, definitely do a bit on this....

But add in some clips of Berlosconi in Italy-this is exactly what he did, buy up massive media and run using massive propaganda-and finish with......

"For someone who says he doesn't like European ways, he sure likes how they do business in Italy."

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #37)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:35 PM

39. more information needed

can you provide some links, please?

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 02:02 PM

40. email this to your network...

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 05:53 PM

44. CC is now up to 1200 stations

Romney basically owns this country's entire radio output.

Reply to this post

Response to Doctor_J (Reply #44)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 07:00 PM

46. amazing.

clear channel is also expanding into spanish language television markets.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 05:55 PM

45. I said last week they should be hammering this point

http://www.democraticunderground.com/125155624

Maybe they're waiting until the Bain wound stops hemorraging.

Reply to this post

Response to Doctor_J (Reply #45)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 07:01 PM

47. hard issue to bring to the public...

romney's plan has been so comprehensive and at work for so many years...it's hard for the mainstream public to believe that someone has been so calculated.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 07:10 PM

48. Try to imagine if Obama or Pelosi owned not one network, but the largest total share of networks on

air.

Just try to imagine the screaming, yelling, gnashing of teeth, accusations......

Yeah. Clearchannel. More of that liberal media bias. Right.

Reply to this post

Response to lindysalsagal (Reply #48)

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 09:55 PM

53. so true...

conservatives bash the liberal media for favoring obama, but at least obama doesn't OWN the media.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 10:01 PM

55. QUESTION: Will we EVER hear any other major media outlet mention this?

Rachel?
Stewart?

anyone?

Reply to this post

Response to annabanana (Reply #55)

Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:35 AM

56. it's the big story right now...

stewart, maddow - they need to get on this...olbermann did when he was on msnbc.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 24, 2012, 06:33 AM

58. Amen

Reply to this post

Response to Yeah Its Spin (Reply #58)

Tue Jul 24, 2012, 06:36 AM

59. harley cock sucka

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 15, 2012, 05:15 PM

60. Welcome to DU. Keep the fire burning!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread