HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ron Paul is crazy, but is...

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:32 PM

Ron Paul is crazy, but is he "crazy" crazy?

Ron Paul Claimed An AIDS Patient Is ‘A Victim Of His Own Lifestyle’ In 1987 Book

In recent days, Ron Paul has tried to distance himself from damaging newsletters from the late 1980s and 1990s by attributing racist and anti-gay statements to ghost writers and disavowing the most incendiary sentiments. “It wasn’t a reflection of my views at all…I think it was terrible,” Paul said of the letters, which blamed AIDS on the gay community and likened black people to criminals. “It was tragic, and I had some responsibility for it, because the name went out in my letter. But I was not an editor. I (was) like a publisher.”

But despite his denials, CNN’s Peter Hamby reports that Paul included many of the controversial ideas in his 1987 book, “Freedom Under Siege: The U.S. Constitution after 200-Plus Years.” That work — published under Paul’s name — attributed AIDS to the gay “lifestyle” and suggested that victims of sexual harassment should simply quit their jobs:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2011/12/30/395881/ron-paul-claimed-an-aids-patient-is-a-victim-of-his-own-lifestyle-in-1987-book/

Flawed logic: "He's horrible, but I agree with him on somethings!!! For example, he's a racist supported by racists who want blacks to acknowledge that they were better off as slaves, an anti-gay bigot supported by people who want to kill gays, but, hey, at least he wants to close U.S. bases in other countries and legalize weed".

"That's like saying the KKK has some good ideas on buying local."

Ron Paul is a lunatic.

23 replies, 2332 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ron Paul is crazy, but is he "crazy" crazy? (Original post)
ProSense Dec 2011 OP
Ohio Joe Dec 2011 #1
PeaceNikki Dec 2011 #2
ProSense Dec 2011 #3
Historic NY Dec 2011 #17
FarLeftFist Dec 2011 #4
leveymg Dec 2011 #5
ProSense Dec 2011 #7
Upton Dec 2011 #9
ProSense Dec 2011 #11
Upton Dec 2011 #13
ProSense Dec 2011 #14
DevonRex Dec 2011 #6
Bucky Dec 2011 #8
LeftishBrit Dec 2011 #10
ProSense Jan 2012 #21
deacon Dec 2011 #12
TheMastersNemesis Dec 2011 #15
ProSense Dec 2011 #16
Brother Buzz Dec 2011 #18
girl gone mad Dec 2011 #19
ProSense Dec 2011 #20
Prophet 451 Jan 2012 #22
jenmito Jan 2012 #23

Response to ProSense (Original post)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:36 PM

1. Agreed

I am really surprised that as many as do, do not see right through him and into the lunacy he promotes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:40 PM

2. Paul strikes a chord with the most selfish of our society.

He is dangerous because people are totally duped by a few topics they THINK they agree with him on. He's dangerous because some people who think they are liberal defend him.

His UN/NWO bullshit is just that. Bullshit. The UN has no way to affectthe 2nd Amendment or any portion of the US Constitution. People are defending a very paranoid, xenophobic crazy-man. aPaulogists are like cult members. His ideas are stupid, and won't work in the real world. It's no wonder that most of his supporters are people who don't understand what it means to live as self-supporting members of society.

It's ok though, because he's not going to win, which will give what his blindered believers what they really want anyway; the ability to declare that his defeat is because he's just too pure and good for our corrupt system. We don't *deserve* Ron Paul, in much the way we don't *deserve* a puppy!

Reply to this post

Response to PeaceNikki (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:45 PM

3. Yup,

"His UN/NWO bullshit is just that. Bullshit. The UN has no way to affectthe 2nd Amendment or any portion of the US Constitution. People are defending a very paranoid, xenophobic crazy-man."

http://www.democraticunderground.com/100292177

Reply to this post

Response to PeaceNikki (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 07:41 PM

17. Yes he does so perhaps he will still go as a 3rd party contender...

Why else would a guy thats so anti-government be a part of that same government? The selfish think they are entitled while denying that same logic for others....I've never met a Libertarian that swiore off the public tit as much as they complain otherwise.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:46 PM

4. Yes, Paul IS A LUNATIC!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:46 PM

5. Look, the guy's a Republican. Of course he's wingnuts in some respects. But, he's not insane.

I think it's a bit nutz, though, to be playing up this whole thing as if there's some real danger of massive defection of progressive Democrats to Ron Paul. Snicker. That's not gonna happen, even if Obama invokes the NDAA and uses the 101st Airborne Division to round up left-wing war critics without warrants and drops them from armed pilotless CIA drones over Gitmo. No parachutes, no telephone calls.

Be worried, very worried, however, if a plausible Left-Democrat steps forward in the next few months to challenge Obama. Now, that could get interesting, particularly if we try to do a Libya on Syria and/or Iran.

Reply to this post

Response to leveymg (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:55 PM

7. Hmmm?

I think it's a bit nutz, though, to be playing up this whole thing as if there's some real danger of massive defection of progressive Democrats to Ron Paul. Snicker. That's not gonna happen, even if Obama invokes the ADAA to have the 101st Airborne Division round up left-wing war critics without warrants and drops them from armed pilotless drones over Gitmo. No parachutes.

Be worrried, very worried, however, if a plausible Left-Democrat steps forward in the next few months to challenge Obama. Now, that could get interesting, particularly if we try to do a Libya on Syria and Iran.

Really? People who call themselves Democrats/Progressives have been roped in by this lunatic and are still misrepresenting his views on war to people.

Now, which do you think is more cause for alarm: progressive Democrats defecting to Paul or "a plausible Left-Democrat" challenging Obama?

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #7)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:59 PM

9. People aren't misrepresenting Paul's views on the WoD..

and as long as Obama continues with his drug warrior routine..there are going to be defections from the Left over to Paul. Count on it.

Reply to this post

Response to Upton (Reply #9)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:07 PM

11. Oh

"People aren't misrepresenting Paul's views on the WoD..and as long as Obama continues with his drug warrior routine..there are going to be defections from the Left over to Paul. Count on it."

...I'm sure you're right about the defections. But given that Paul is a propagandist, how certain are you about his views on the war on drugs and how it will manifest?

If he had the opportunity to repeal the civil rights act, would he allow blacks to smoke weed in the back of the bus?

It's clear that some people, not those who don't know better, value the right to smoke pot over civil rights.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:16 PM

13. What are you afraid of..

just the possibility of defections? I mean, there's no way the PTB within the Republican establishment will allow Paul to win the nomination. Romney leads nationally....and Paul has already said he won't go third party. So, what's with the obsession?

Oh, and speaking of civil rights, nice the way you just shrug off the concerns of the millions of Americans who have been impacted negatively by the WOD..

Reply to this post

Response to Upton (Reply #13)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:34 PM

14. Hmmm?

"What are you afraid of..just the possibility of defections? I mean, there's no way the PTB within the Republican establishment will allow Paul to win the nomination."

What if you're wrong?

"Oh, and speaking of civil rights, nice the way you just shrug off the concerns of the millions of Americans who have been impacted negatively by the WOD.."

Oh please. Are you seriously trying to imply a positive impact to ending the war on drugs and civil rights?

If the likes of Paul were to create the kind of society he envisions, where would blacks, gays and the poor fit in?

Like everything else, cherry-picking Paul's mythical positions to envision a utopian society where drugs are legal requires ignoring the consequences of his other views.

How does his alleged anti-death penalty stance measure up against his charity or death position on health care?

Let's look at the numbers: There were less than 80 death penalty executions in the U.S. last year, the lowest in 40 years. Tens of thousand of people die each year without health care.

Which has a bigger impact on people's lives?

If Paul is such an anti-death penalty person, why has he made no mark or influence in his own state, Texas, the death penalty capital of the U.S.

In fact, why is he pandering to people who advocate a death penalty for gays?

He's a lunatic.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:47 PM

6. Exactly right.

Thank you.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:55 PM

8. He's not insane. "Crazy" is shorthand for "terrible judgment and reckless irresponsibility."

You don't have to be crazy to be wrong.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:59 PM

10. I don't know how crazy he is; but he's certainly evil, like all far-right-wingers

Reply to this post

Response to LeftishBrit (Reply #10)

Sun Jan 1, 2012, 10:28 AM

21. Evidently

not crazy or evil enough to turn off some so-called progressives.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:12 PM

12. He's batshit nuts. n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 07:20 PM

15. Not Crazy

Paul is not crazy in the classical sense. He is very twisted though. He is not not the crazy one. Ron Paul Jr. is the really insane one.
We are stuck with that evil seed for a long time thanks to the Kentucky nitwits who put him in office. He won't be up until 2016.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Reply #15)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 07:37 PM

16. I'd

"Ron Paul Jr. is the really insane one."

..say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 07:45 PM

18. He's Barney Fife crazy

Especially when he's backed into a corner.

I suggest we keep pushing.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 07:50 PM

19. Why not take a break..

go out and enjoy New Year's eve.

Reply to this post

Response to girl gone mad (Reply #19)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 08:02 PM

20. Why?

"Why not take a break..go out and enjoy New Year's eve. "

I'm interested in reading all the excuses, justifications and rationalizations coming from self-identified progressives in support of a racist who boasts the endorsement of people who advocate killing gays.

I know some people would love the debate to disappear, but it isn't going to.

Happy New Year!

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 1, 2012, 05:02 PM

22. Crazy but not insane

Paul is an example both of class-based blindness and class resentment, both common among Libertarians.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 1, 2012, 05:07 PM

23. K&R + a link to MY thread about him accepting white supremacist support:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread