HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Group-think and profits a...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jul 12, 2012, 01:38 PM

Group-think and profits allowed Sandusky's pedophilia at Penn State to continue for 14 years.

In June, a US jury convicted former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky Friday on 45 of 48 counts in a child sex abuse case.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/us-coach-guilty-most-counts-pedophilia-case-media-031026792--nfl.html

A report just issued by a team led by former federal judge and FBI director Louis Freeh has been released showing how other Penn State officials were influenced by group-think and profits to not take action in response to Sandusky's sex activities with children.

The report is a lengthy one. Freeh's firm interviewed hundreds of people to learn how the university responded to warning signs that its once-revered former defensive coordinator -- a man who helped Hall of Fame football coach Joe Paterno win two national titles while touting "success with honor" -- was a serial child molester.
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/2012/REPORT_FINAL_071212.pdf

2 replies, 1055 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Group-think and profits allowed Sandusky's pedophilia at Penn State to continue for 14 years. (Original post)
AnotherMcIntosh Jul 2012 OP
Swede Atlanta Jul 2012 #1
Initech Jul 2012 #2

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Original post)

Thu Jul 12, 2012, 01:46 PM

1. I love college sports but here I have no doubt....

that those who knew or had reason to know were told not to do anything because it wasn't good for the brand or for the money.

Here I think the idea of institutional invincibility became core to how these individuals behaved. There were not thinking of their own legal (or moral) obligations to these young men nor of any legal or moral obligations to PSU or society, they were thinking of the fantasy of PSU athletics. It was what they ate in the morning, drank in the afternoon and consumed in the evening. It was their everything. They were never allowed to think about the individuals. It was all about the collective, the "company" so to speak.

I seriously believe this is much of what was going on.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Original post)

Thu Jul 12, 2012, 02:14 PM

2. This wwhole thing is just sick.

Jerry Sandusky certainly got what was coming to him. But all of his enablers should get what's coming to them as well. This went on for a fucking decade before anything was done. The board could have sent Sandusky to Sing Sing many years ago - but they were so obsessed with protecting the brand that they weren't thinking straight. This whole thing could have been a blip on Joe Paterno's radar - instead it's more looking like the end of Penn State football.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread