HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » LA's fascist overlords pl...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 02:18 AM

LA's fascist overlords plan "Neighborhood Prosecutors", "intelligence-based graffiti removal"...

http://ccala.org/downloads/DT2020legislativeprioritiesJan2012.pdf

The "CCA" are a corporate/investment coagulation driven to own this city under the guise of development and corporate policing. They hate the homeless as an obstacle to their wealth and power. They have the ear of city hall and help business attain favorable legislation (corporate influence of government is Mussolini's definition of Fascism). They have their own policing squads who sometimes work as police substitutes. The head of the CCA once wrote an anti-homeless opinion piece in the local 1% rag the LA Times. The head of the CCA was lately called the sixth most powerful person in Downtown LA (the mayor being fifth).

They are attempting to utterly control this city. What's it like in your town?

The best articles yet on this fascist blight:

Harsh Skid Row policies driven by business lobby, say advocates

And this is ridiculous, and par for the course in our experience with them:

At Wilshire and Hope, a lesson in escalation

12 replies, 1606 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply LA's fascist overlords plan "Neighborhood Prosecutors", "intelligence-based graffiti removal"... (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Jul 2012 OP
sabrina 1 Jul 2012 #1
Fire Walk With Me Jul 2012 #2
BeHereNow Jul 2012 #3
Fire Walk With Me Jul 2012 #6
sabrina 1 Jul 2012 #4
Scootaloo Jul 2012 #8
Fire Walk With Me Jul 2012 #9
sabrina 1 Jul 2012 #5
Fire Walk With Me Jul 2012 #7
AynRandCollectedSS Jul 2012 #10
Fire Walk With Me Jul 2012 #11
Fire Walk With Me Jul 2012 #12

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 02:34 AM

1. The homeless are not very popular these days, are they Firewalk?

Thank you for caring about the least among us. I have not yet read the links and never heard of these people. But anyone who would sit down and do this:

The head of the CCA once wrote an anti-homeless opinion piece in the local 1% rag the LA Times.

has some serious problems.

The LA Times IS a Right Wing Rag. We get calls from them all the time asking us to subscribe and I never miss an opportunity to tell them I do not subscribe to biased, especially biased towards the right, 'news' media, in print or otherwise.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #1)

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 02:46 AM

2. Op-Ed: Enabling homelessness on L.A.'s skid row

Allowing the homeless to keep any and all possessions on sidewalks protects unlawful conduct for a few and ignores the ramifications for most of society.

By Carol Schatz

April 9, 2012

A federal judge last year issued a preliminary injunction against the city of Los Angeles, effectively allowing anyone in the area around skid row to store personal belongings — including mattresses, overflowing plastic bags and shopping carts — on the sidewalks.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Philip Gutierrez was intended to protect the possessions of homeless and street people, and to prevent them from being mistaken for garbage and removed from the public sidewalks.

As a predictable — if unintended — consequence of that ruling, hundreds of people have transformed the streets of skid row and surrounding neighborhoods into their personal storage facilities. And with the growing piles have come disease, vermin and crime.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-schatz-skid-row-deterioration-20120409,0,6118841.story

---

This comes during a period when the Health Department was, at the mayor's behest (read, CCA got the mayor to do it), investigating the Row for signs of health violation. It is worth noting that the CCA are said to be contracted to sweep the streets, collect from the garbage cans, and twice-weekly power-wash the sidewalks...and in the area with which I am familiar, ceased doing so early in May. To allow issues to build to where the city would act...creating what they decry. Creating public health hazards! And their illegal raids on any property left unattended has the homeless less likely to leave their belongings behind, for any reason. This includes medication, ID, personal paperwork, protection from the elements (it is excruciatingly hot on the row if you cannot find shade, or are forced from it into direct sunlight all day long).

I could go on...thank you for giving the Times a word or two I've met a couple of good people from it, but they appear to be the exception, or the higher-ups won't allow the good stuff to get through...peace!

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #2)

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 02:59 AM

3. And yet, every where you look in LA, there are EMPTY buildings.

A civilized society would figure out how to create shelters from all the empty real estate
and organize community gardens in the deserted parking lots.

Employ some of our homeless vets as logistic organizers and establish
free clinics at each location to help the mentally ill who need medication to stabilize
their lives.

But then, there is nothing civilized about LA, is there.
BHN

Reply to this post

Response to BeHereNow (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 03:16 AM

6. I've easily found the answer to that question...in 2004, CCA were working on nearly 10,000

for-profit rooms and lofts. During that year alone, as nearly as I can discern. And in one of their legal compromises to attack homeless encampments, they are to provide 625 rooms on Skid Row for long-term housing. Total. Apparently, with no more coming down the line.

No, there is nothing civilized about LA. Except perhaps LA CAN and Los Angeles Catholic Workers, who help the poor.

Thank you for reading.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 03:01 AM

4. What a great article, I just read at one of your links. This story should be made into

a movie. And who is this Schatz person? She sounds like a modern-day version of the old overlords/ladies who viewed the poor as something her beautiful mind should not have to even know about. Sweep them all away, make them disappear!

Horrible person from what I'm reading judging by her own words.

And bless the wonderful Occupiers for standing up for the homeless:

Since May 29, occupiers and homeless advocates have camped out each night in front of the CCA’s offices in downtown, as part of an ongoing “siege” protest that was originally only meant to last seven days. The action was coordinated by Occupy Los Angeles, Occupy the Hood, Occupy Skid Row and the Los Angeles Community Action Network.

That article is long but well worth reading. I wonder, where did all the 'Support the Troops' crowd with their flags and yellow ribbons go? How many of the homeless are veterans?

Today I gave some money to a homeless man outside of Target. I gave it to him to honor the right wingers and, sad to say, some of the right-leaning Dems who have told me that giving money to the homeless 'only encourages to buy beer'. I hope he bought some beer with it, or whatever made his day a little better. It was his to do with as he pleased.

It's interesting how we never question what the Wall Street criminals did with the money we gave them to bail themselves out from their gambling debts?

Thank you so much for caring about the homeless, minorities, the poor and I hope word gets around about what is going on in LA right now.

I will certainly pass it around and hope that this Schatz person and her morally barren cohorts get to hear from a lot more people in the future.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 03:19 AM

8. What's that? A right-wing group breaking something...

And demanding control over how it's fixed?

You don't say!

Reply to this post

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #8)

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 03:38 AM

9. ;)

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 03:16 AM

5. I meant to say that I am very glad about that ruling in favor of the homeless.

How could it have been otherwise? Taking the little they have was simply cruel and it's good to know that someone is thinking right. It really irks them that the homeless get to keep their few belongings though. What nasty, soulless people they are.

Also, you are right that there are some reporters who are decent people at the LA Times, but the management is the problem.

Reply to this post

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #5)

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 03:18 AM

7. The CCA and the city are continuously working to end the injunctions helping the homeless.

This struggle is years-old and as complex as any ongoing battle with holding patterns, attacks, losses, gains...thank you for your kind words for the homeless.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 05:08 AM

10. Interesting Timing...

Watching "Exit Through the Gift Shop" right now about steet artists Banksy and Shepard Fairey.

Of course, the subject if this post is much more serious...

Reply to this post

Response to AynRandCollectedSS (Reply #10)

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 01:15 PM

11. Welcome to DU! Are you the ARCSS from Facebook?

Love your work!

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 15, 2012, 01:04 AM

12. Kicking, because these are the bastards behind what LAPD did to Artwalk two nights ago:

There were probably 20-40 Occupiers at Chalkwalk/Artwalk. The =hundreds= who stood up to LAPD did so of their own will because LAPD were blatantly WRONG.

Police arrests over chalking leads to uprising | l.a. activist
http://www.laactivist.com/2012/07/14/police-arrests-over-chalking-leads-to-uprising/

Art Walk Vendor Slams the LAPD's Tactics Against Occupy L.A.
http://laist.com/2012/07/13/art_walk_vendor_speaks_out_against.php

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread