HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » States Bucking ‘Obamacare...

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 11:18 AM

States Bucking ‘Obamacare’ Are Among Those With Highest Rates Of Uninsured

Many of the governors threatening to stymie implementation of the Affordable Care Act preside over states with high uninsurance rates, according to data from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Kaiser data breaks down each state’s population by source of insurance, and by percent uninsured. Unsurprisingly, Massachusetts has the lowest uninsurance rate in the country, thanks to the universal health care bill Mitt Romney signed, and which ultimately became the model for the Affordable Care Act.

But many of the states with high-profile conservative governors vowing to stand athwart the ACA’s progress, by refusing to expand their Medicaid programs and erecting hurdles to establishing insurance marketplaces, would stand to gain the most from successful implementation of the law.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/07/many-states-bucking-obamacare-after-scotus-ruling-have-high-uninsured-populations.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

5 replies, 1134 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply States Bucking ‘Obamacare’ Are Among Those With Highest Rates Of Uninsured (Original post)
dkf Jul 2012 OP
Shadowflash Jul 2012 #1
ladym55 Jul 2012 #2
Ezlivin Jul 2012 #3
Lionessa Jul 2012 #5
ladjf Jul 2012 #4

Response to dkf (Original post)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 11:23 AM

1. I never understood why...

.. the people in the poorest states continually vote for people who keep them poor. It's just a mindset I cannot fathom.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Shadowflash (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:12 PM

2. I see it at work in my own state

It's Scott Walker's divide and conquer ...
--Get poor whites to believe that any health care benefit will go to an "undeserving" minority
--Get low-paid private sector workers to resent public sector workers and their benefits
--Involve fundie churches. Talk a lot about "God's will" and hint that health care reform will make abortion easier
--Sell the illusion that if you play by corporate rules, you TOO will be wealthy

It's quite effective, especially with rural white voters.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:14 PM

3. They are voting for:

Laws against gays, against abortion, against environmental regulations, against unions.

They are voting for expanded gun rights, deportation of undocumented workers, smaller government and subsequent reduction of governmental oversight.

Politicians promise these and other cultural changes, oh, and lower taxes.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:49 PM

5. Because even the Dems running are only DINOs, let's look at

Idaho for example. 2008 finally managed to get a (once Repub) Dem into Congress, and he voted 98% with Repubs and was the only Dem endorsed by the Tea Party.

I was working for the Id Dem Party at the time and was amazed at the amount of $$ they gave this guy to get elected, but the long term Dem who was running for Senate got nothing, nothing at all but bad mouthing and bs from the state party.

It's a racket, elections/campaigns are, and in many red states, as we find out when we had majorities in both houses, but kind of didn't due to BlueDogs and DINOs, simply assure that anything resembling what you and I might call a Democrat never sees the light of day, so to speak.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Original post)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:38 PM

4. What an ironic paradox. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread