HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Lighten up for the bird b...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 05:55 PM

Lighten up for the bird brain and the singing finches

A GUYANESE man was nabbed at Kennedy Airport with something singing up his sleeve — nine live finches bound for their shot at stardom.

Marlon Hariram is the latest bird-brained smuggler trying to evade Guyana’s laws prohibiting the exportation of the little songbirds. Authorities said the finches were likely going to be used in singing contests held in public parks in Queens.

“Two finches sing, and a judge selects the bird determined to have the best voice,” U.S. Fish and Wildlife Special Agent Ryan Bessey explained in court papers released Monday.

“A finch who wins many competitions becomes quite valuable, and can sell in excess of $5,000,” he added.
Finches with a pedigree from Guyana supposedly sing better than their American counterparts and are “more highly sought after,” Bessey said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/clip-bird-brain-jfk-9-finches-sleeve-article-1.1102965#ixzz1z2MKbL52
----------------
What a jackass

3 replies, 666 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Lighten up for the bird brain and the singing finches (Original post)
malaise Jun 2012 OP
HopeHoops Jun 2012 #1
malaise Jun 2012 #2
HopeHoops Jun 2012 #3

Response to malaise (Original post)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 06:22 PM

1. Finches are difficult to emulate. I've got bluebird down, and even flicker. Can't do finch.

US law would restrict the transportation of any songbird by that method. You can't even legally rescue them or in any way interfere with their breeding (including trimming trees). It isn't widely enforced.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 06:26 PM

2. People will do anything for money

This contest in Queens has been going on for years and these morons are caught regularly although I don't remember anyone

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #2)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 06:34 PM

3. I can think of a lot of things I wouldn't do for money.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread