HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Please ask your Congressp...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 04:18 AM

Please ask your Congressperson to support this resolution honoring Catholic sisters.

As you can see from the comments, there are plenty of people planning to oppose it.

http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/proposed-congressional-resolution-gives-deepest-appreciation-lcwr

The measure, officially titled "Honoring Catholic sisters for their contributions to the United States," was introduced June 18 by Democratic Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, a Catholic who represents Connecticutís third district and is a member of the non-profit organization Catholic Democrats.

Among the reasons given in the resolution for Congress to support the sisters are that they:
"were instrumental in building the Catholic Church in the United States;"
"helped establish the nationís largest private school system, educating millions of young Americans;" and,
"have answered Vatican IIís call to seek 'justice in the world'" and "continue this vital mission today: teaching our children in schools, healing the sick in hospitals, feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, administering major institutions, encouraging corporate responsibility, and advocating for public policies that honor human dignity."

The resolution also mentions the fact that, by the writersí count, "since 1980, 9 American sisters have been martyred while working for social justice and human rights overseas."

SNIP

5 replies, 790 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Please ask your Congressperson to support this resolution honoring Catholic sisters. (Original post)
pnwmom Jun 2012 OP
Tx4obama Jun 2012 #1
JDPriestly Jun 2012 #2
Sans__Culottes Jun 2012 #3
pnwmom Jun 2012 #4
Sans__Culottes Jun 2012 #5

Response to pnwmom (Original post)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 05:11 AM

1. I think The House will not allow that to come to floor, see below

During the 2010 campaign, House Republican leaders promised to "eliminate expressions of appreciation and recognition for individuals, groups, events, and institutions."

See here: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/gop-pledge-o-meter/promise/688/eliminate-congressional-resolutions-to-honor-indiv/

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to pnwmom (Original post)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 05:16 AM

2. Might this be considered endorsing a religion?

For me, it would. And for me, that would violate the First Amendment.

Others may disagree with me, but frankly, while the Catholic nuns may be very active in supporting the struggle for justice and good things, so are people from a number of other religions. Quakers (Friends), for example.

Reply to this post

Response to JDPriestly (Reply #2)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 07:34 AM

3. I agree.

There are mechanisms in place for honoring specific individuals for doing good deeds in the community.

We don't need to start honoring specific sects or religious organizations.

Besides, the Sisters have also given us horrific, misogynistic institutions like the Magdalenes.

Reply to this post

Response to Sans__Culottes (Reply #3)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 10:26 AM

4. The Magdelenes were very much a part of Irish, not American culture. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #4)

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:39 AM

5. My mother was a product of the Magdalenes

Last edited Thu Jun 28, 2012, 09:03 AM - Edit history (1)

1930s, St. Louis, MO.

According to WIKI:
"Asylums for these girls and women (and others believed to be of poor moral character, such as prostitutes) operated throughout Europe, Britain, Ireland, Canada and the United States for much of the 19th and well into the 20th century."

EDIT: inappropriate comma.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread