HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Fall of the Creative ...

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 09:36 PM

The Fall of the Creative Class

For a vari­ety of not-very-well-thought-out rea­sons, this brought us to Madi­son, Wis­con­sin. It wasn’t too far from our fam­i­lies. It had a stel­lar rep­u­ta­tion. And for the Mid­west, it pos­sessed what might pass for cachet. It was lib­eral and open minded. It was a col­lege town. It had cof­fee shops and bike shops. Besides, it had been deemed a “Cre­ative Class” strong­hold by Richard Florida, the prophet of pros­per­ous cool. We had no way of know­ing how wrong he was about Madison…and about everything.

Florida’s idea was a nice one: Young, inno­v­a­tive peo­ple move to places that are open and hip and tol­er­ant. They, in turn, gen­er­ate eco­nomic inno­va­tion. I loved this idea because, as a free­lance writer, it made me impor­tant. I was poor, but some­how I made every­one else rich! It seemed to make per­fect sense. Madi­son, by that rea­son­ing, should have been clam­or­ing to have me, since I was one of the mys­ti­cal bear­ers of prosperity.

Soon after we arrived, how­ever, I was sit­ting at my desk won­der­ing where all these cre­ative, self-employed bohemi­ans might be, when I watched an unset­tlingly large woman lum­ber out of the apart­ment next door. She stood in the sun and blinked like she hadn’t seen it in years. It took her an ago­niz­ingly long time to shuf­fle across the park­ing lot to the dump­ster, where she deposited her trash. Then she began the trek back. After the door slammed behind her, I never saw her again. In most parts of Amer­ica circa 2003, this scene would have been unre­mark­able. But I couldn’t get it out of my mind. It stayed with me and filled me with dread, as if there was some hid­den mean­ing in it; as if the woman was an omen, and her trash bag was filled with my dreams.

<snip>

I know now that this was Florida’s true genius: He took our anx­i­ety about place and turned it into a prod­uct. He found a way to cap­i­tal­ize on our nag­ging sense that there is always some­where out there more cre­ative, more fun, more diverse, more gay, and just plain bet­ter than the one where we hap­pen to be.

But I’ve been down that road, and I know where it goes. I know that it leads both every­where and nowhere. I know you could go down it for­ever and never quite arrive. And I know now that it may be wiser to try to cre­ate the place you want to live, rather than to keep try­ing to find it.

Full essay (~3,800 words): http://thirtytwomag.com/2012/06/the-fall-of-thecreative-class

8 replies, 1393 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Fall of the Creative Class (Original post)
salvorhardin Jun 2012 OP
FarCenter Jun 2012 #1
dogknob Jun 2012 #5
XemaSab Jun 2012 #2
Taverner Jun 2012 #8
salvorhardin Jun 2012 #3
BOG PERSON Jun 2012 #4
JHB Jun 2012 #6
alcibiades_mystery Jun 2012 #7

Response to salvorhardin (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 10:31 PM

1. Are there any entrepreneurial companies that started in Madison?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to FarCenter (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 20, 2012, 04:16 PM

5. The Onion?

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 11:19 PM

2. Why don't the cool people

recognize me for my genius?

(This article had some interesting points, but DAMN did these people come off as hipster jerks.)

Reply to this post

Response to XemaSab (Reply #2)

Wed Jun 20, 2012, 06:20 PM

8. LOL - my thoughts too

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 20, 2012, 03:31 PM

3. Kick

Last edited Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:55 PM - Edit history (1)

Good article about Richard Florida, folks.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 20, 2012, 04:08 PM

4. good article

the very idea of a "creative class" is pretty offensive imho.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 20, 2012, 06:00 PM

7. Love it...great article

I read Florida's book with a massive eyeroll nearly a decade ago, it seems. It's nice to see that some serious researchers began to finally put some pressure on his claims.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread